F-86 Section 8 Web Site is No More ??

If you want to recommend or discuss other sites, this is the place ;)

F-86 Section 8 Web Site is No More ??

Postby Jetranger » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:12 pm

posted 3/8/2015

I just was visiting the Section 8 Web Site for the Great Freeware F-86 Fighter Jets, and noticed while the web site is still there and somewhat useable, their Forum hasn't had hardly a post on it since around 2010.

You can't even Register or Log In anymore.

Wondering if they've retired and gone away ????

I've got some of their F-86's and their really great Jets !

But not much out of the F-86 Crew in about the last 5 to 6 years.

Section 8 / F-86 Fighter Jets : http://www.sectionf8.com/index.html

Just wondering, anybody know what the deal is ????

Jetranger

Jetranger
Major
Major

Re: F-86 Section 8 Web Site is No More ??

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:08 pm

I downloaded their superb F-86 two or three years ago and noticed the same thing. I was really hoping they would complete an FJ Fury to go along with the '86. I don't have a clue to what happened to them.

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:13 am

I also noticed after downloading everything needed from their site for those F86's,,,

that most of what I downloaded was well, somewhat quite Disorganized , folders inside folders inside more folders and the entire Read Me File was so Jammed together you couldn't read the thing, I spent a good 20 to 30 minutes, just cleaning up and spacing the read me file just so I could read it and decipher the important parts of it.

If somebody isn't truly knowledgeable and really knows what their doing and how to completely set up the Folder Structure for these, they won't turn out right at all, theres a few tricks & tips to get them to work Properly in FSX Gold / Acceleration.

Fortunately, I knew what I was doing, so everything turned out ok, but, if I was vaguely familiar or not to knowledgeable , it'd ended up being a total flop, and I thought about newbies trying to set it up and install these Aircraft, the way it is now,,, how difficult it would be to comprehend and understand what to do, what goes where.

I checked on this site , theres a few, but, I caught several mistakes in the download, 1 as I recall, has 4 aircraft paint varients with 4 different paint varients, yet the ,,, Aircraft CFG File only lists 2, omitting the other 2 paint varients for that download, and, it was uploaded way back in like 2011 or something like that.

Again, the Uploader NOT testing the work before listing it for others to use !!! :naughty: :naughty:

and the cockpit windows were black, without the proper update and proper structure folder set up.

I made 1 Special Folder for those files and it goes something like this :

Folder Name - Texture. Shared
just have to make sure you have each and every Texture Paint with a "Fallback file" in each Aircraft Paint Varient for that particular Aircraft.

once I performed that maneuver, everything worked like it was supposed to , no problems .

Dunno' kinda get the feeling something might have happened to the ol' boy who started that site maybe ??????

Sure is very very Dead over there for those high quality planes like that, you'd think their forum would still be jumpin with all kinds of videos and screen shots and stuff,, that isn't the case !!

The last actual post I seen was in like 2013, from a user asking if the site was defunct ?????

most posts are left overs from like 2009 -2010 - 2011 then it just ends nothing zilch !

be interesting to know what happened ???

Jetranger
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby pete » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:20 am

Not sure how much they progressed up to the closure but luckily we have their models here

http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1 ... f8&x=0&y=0
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Jetranger » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:35 am

Pete do you know why they closed ??? what happened ???
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby pete » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:25 am

Didn't even know they'd closed --

Nor do I know if the site has been active recently .....

It's another lesson that in the long run it's better if these freeware files are available on the sites that are in no danger of closing ... like Simviation
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Jetranger » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:35 am

Agreed , not even the Big Meteor could take out Sim V !!! :D
Jetranger
Major
Major

Return to Other Sites