Major problem with CFS2

General discussion for CFS2 - WW 2 Pacific Theater

Re: Major problem with CFS2

Postby investdude » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:44 pm

Problem resolved! (Sort of)

That is, I am again able to play Quick Combat, the KW F-86 against the Mig-15, without a CTD every time I score a guns kill on a Mig.  The downside is I still haven't tracked down the source of the problem.  Let me explain.

I have an external Drive (G:) for backup and storage.  I had a backup of CFS2 from sometime ago before my problems started so I restored CFS2 to the G Drive and ran it from there.  Presto, I was even able to use the CA-27 Australian F-86 version without CTD on guns kill.

So I'm now in the process of comparing the 2 installs to try to track down what is causing the CTD on the C Drive install.  The first thing I noticed was the F-86 model on the G Drive installation was not the latest but an earlier version, so I tried it on the C Drive install but it made no difference.  I'm still working on it and it may take a long time but at least I can now shoot down a few Migs when I get the urge.

Thanks to all those who tried to help, especially Hagar and Dirt Man! :)

Investdude
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Major problem with CFS2

Postby investdude » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:15 pm

An update on the final resolution of this problem which has dogged me for months.  After careful consideration, I decided to copy my external drive copy of CFS2 to my D drive, since CFS2 does not need a registry entry.  Copy was successful and after extensive testing it worked perfectly every time.  I then deleted the malfunctioning copy on my C drive and copied CFS2 to C drive from external.  Again it functioned perfectly, so I now have 2 copies of CFS2, one dedicated to the Fox 4 Korean War series (thanks to TR, Grumpy and all the gang) so I'm a happy camper.  I guess the principal lesson is that with CFS2 it's possible to solve a problem without even finding out what it is or where it came from.  Thanks to all who tried to help me.  Now going out to kill some Migs.   :) :D ;D ;)
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Combat Flight Simulator 2