WW I

General discussion for CFS2 - WW 2 Pacific Theater

Re: WW I

Postby Scatterbrain Kid » Thu May 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Incidentally there were two files (circled) that I had to let overwrite the old ones to get the Morane working.

PS- and the instructions say-
"just pop these DP files into the appropriate aircraft folder (the camel DP file is used for both versions; Sopwith_camel_110hp and Sopwith_Camel_148aero). make sure you delete the CDP file in each airplane folder or overwrite with the provided CDP files.
This will correct the [MISC_DATA] section in the Dp file from Imperial units into metric making the DP more realistic for the mission builder.
pjwalke@live.com
thanks to Tom Sanford for bringing it to my attention.
Also the is a correction for the Sopwith_Camel_110hp version.1 aircraft file, to allow the prop to animate properly."

PS AGAIN- But hey, if a plane won't work, do what I do as a last resort and simply download another one from somewhere else..:)
Last edited by Scatterbrain Kid on Thu May 05, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLEASE STOP LINKING IMAGES, IT SLOWS THE FORUMS DOWN FOR OTHER USERS!!!!
Scatterbrain Kid
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Tango_Romeo » Thu May 05, 2011 10:07 pm

I suppose it's OK to include the CDP files in a download with the DP, but it is totally unnecessary.  The CDP file is created by the sim from the DP when the sim boots (if no CDP is present), therefore the procedure is to allow the new DP to overwrite the old one and then to delete the existing CDP.  If the old CDP is not deleted, the new DP will not take effect.  If you look at your folder again after the sim has run once, you will see that a new CDP has been created from the new DP.  ;)
Many Hands Make Small Work Image P-51 Contract Lost - Build Swifts

FLY FOX FOUR KOREA: http://www.simviation.com/lair/cfs2korea.htm GET FOX FOUR EXTRAS: http://www.simviation.com/lair
Tango_Romeo
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Fri May 06, 2011 2:53 am

I've been following this topic & decided to check things out for myself. I downloaded the Albatross_DIII version.1 from TR's link. It installed straight 'out of the box' & works fine in Free Flight & QC. I didn't try the updated DP files.

I don't know if all PJ Walker's aircraft are like this but I noticed it has no 2D panel, just the DVC. The Background BMP defined in Panel.cfg is missing & I get a black band at the bottom of the screen in 2D cockpit view. I'm wondering if this might be causing your problem.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Fri May 06, 2011 11:47 am

I don't have time to install for a full analysis; I downloaded the Pfalz; the aircraft's default folder name is Pfalz_DIIIa_Jasta5 while the aircraft.cfg refers to Pfalz_DIII. For use in combat missions, the aircraft.cfg's "sim=" should be the same as the name of the aircraft's folder.
In this case, either change the folder name to Pfalz_DIII or the reference to sim=Pfalz_DIIIa_Jasta5 -- one or the other, not both.
Similar name consistency with aircraft.cfgs and aircraft folders should be applied to all aircraft.

8-)
Last edited by H on Fri May 06, 2011 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Fri May 06, 2011 12:24 pm

I don't have time to install for a full analysis; I downloaded the Pfalz; the aircraft's default folder name is Pfalz_DIIIa_Jasta5 while the aircraft.cfg refers to Pfalz_DIII. For use in combat missions, the aircraft.cfg's "sim=" should be the same as the name of the aircraft's folder.
In this case, either change the folder name to Pfalz_DIII or the reference to sim=Pfalz_DIIIa_Jasta5 -- one or the other, not both.
Similar name consistency with aircraft.cfgs and aircraft folders should be applied to all aircraft.

8-)

Hmmmm. If what you say is correct none of the Fox Four Korea aircraft would work in missions. I can assure you they all do.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Polar_Lion » Fri May 06, 2011 3:30 pm

you Hagar you might be on to something. now question, would useing a different panel make a differance or is that part of the MDL? I realy believe its a graphics issue with my computer. this stupid intergrated graphics is junk. when i can afford it i'll get a new one. but in the meantime i'll try to narrow it down.

i have to reinstall the game. some how i managed to currupt the scenery. i'm guessing when i added the aerocrate scenery. so i'm going to do that, than i'll take each plane one at a time and see what happens. i wish the aerocrate stuff had better instructions. but oh well i'll get it.

if you have any other ideas Hagar pass them along. you can pm me too.
"Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."
-Tom Krause
Polar_Lion
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby H » Fri May 06, 2011 4:08 pm

Hmmmm. If what you say is correct none of the Fox Four Korea aircraft would work in missions. I can assure you they all do.
Are they using the folder name or the sim= name? The added issue is that it can create an unintended cross-reference if another folder should be added that happens to have the name of the "sim=" which will then direct to that folder rather than the one it sits in. Although missions are written differently in CFS2, it uses similar referencing in the .cfgs. For this reason I always try to keep the folder name the same as referenced in its aircraft.cfg

8-)
Last edited by H on Fri May 06, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Fri May 06, 2011 4:19 pm

you Hagar you might be on to something. now question, would useing a different panel make a differance or is that part of the MDL? I realy believe its a graphics issue with my computer. this stupid intergrated graphics is junk. when i can afford it i'll get a new one. but in the meantime i'll try to narrow it down.

You could always alias Panel.cfg to a similar aircraft that does work for you. It will then use the 2D panel of that aircraft. The DVC gauges won't display unless you add the entries from the original Panel.cfg.

i'm going to do that, than i'll take each plane one at a time and see what happens. i wish the aerocrate stuff had better instructions. but oh well i'll get it.

The Aerocrate aircraft should be easy enough to install. The only thing to bear in mind is that the sound might be aliased to another Aerocrate aircraft. (This is easy enough to check by opening Sound.cfg in Notepad.) If you haven't got that aircraft installed other aircraft aliased to it won't be listed on the Free Flight selection menu.

if you have any other ideas Hagar pass them along. you can pm me too.

Sorry, I'm out of suggestions. I haven't experienced this problem before.
Last edited by Hagar on Fri May 06, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Fri May 06, 2011 4:30 pm

Are they using the folder name or the sim= name? The added issue is that it can create an unintended cross-reference if another folder should be added that happens to have the name of the "sim=" which will then direct to that folder rather than the one it sits in. Although missions are written differently in CFS2, it uses similar referencing in the .cfgs. For this reason I always try to keep the folder name the same as referenced in its aircraft.cfg

You would have to ask TR about this. He's the mission expert.

The folder names of the Fox Four aircraft all have a unique KWCFS2 prefix. For example; KWCFS2_F86E. The Aircraft.cfg sim= entry points to the AIR & DP file in use in that folder, in this case sim=F-86E Sabre.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Tango_Romeo » Fri May 06, 2011 4:51 pm

I don't know if all PJ Walker's aircraft are like this but I noticed it has no 2D panel, just the DVC. The Background BMP defined in Panel.cfg is missing & I get a black band at the bottom of the screen in 2D cockpit view. I'm wondering if this might be causing your problem.

In one of P.J.s downloads (The Camel I think), which does have a 2-D panel, he placed a  note saying that this panel was meant for use in all his WWI planes.  ;)
Many Hands Make Small Work Image P-51 Contract Lost - Build Swifts

FLY FOX FOUR KOREA: http://www.simviation.com/lair/cfs2korea.htm GET FOX FOUR EXTRAS: http://www.simviation.com/lair
Tango_Romeo
Major
Major

Postby Collin » Fri May 06, 2011 5:13 pm

Try these aircraft for WW1...

Stuart Green's excellent work.

http://homepages.domicilium.com/peveril/hangar/wwi.htm

The Cuckoo is the one I use on the Furious as it has folding wings so that you can taxi from the rear to the front flying off deck via the ramps on either side of the funnel.

regards
Last edited by Collin on Fri May 06, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Collin
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby H » Fri May 06, 2011 5:22 pm

The Aircraft.cfg sim= entry points to the AIR & DP file in use in that folder, in this case sim=F-86E Sabre.
This brings up another rare problem: occasionally someone has a misname between the actual .mdl and item 101 Normal Model File Name = in the .air file; if the names don't match, the aircraft isn't there; either rename the .mdl (and its reference in the model.cfg) accordingly or delete the 101 entry in the .air file (aired needed to open .air file).

8-)
Last edited by H on Fri May 06, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Fri May 06, 2011 5:50 pm

The Aircraft.cfg sim= entry points to the AIR & DP file in use in that folder, in this case sim=F-86E Sabre.
This brings up another rare problem: occasionally someone has a misname between the actual .mdl and item 101 Normal Model File Name = in the .air file; if the names don't match, the aircraft isn't there; either rename the .mdl (and its reference in the model.cfg) accordingly or delete the 101 entry in the .air file (aired needed).

The AIR file entry for the Fox Four Sabre doesn't match the MDL file name. (The only one I checked.) We never had a problem with it.
Last edited by Hagar on Fri May 06, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Fri May 06, 2011 5:55 pm

Try these aircraft for WW1...

Stuart Green's excellent work.

http://homepages.domicilium.com/peveril/hangar/wwi.htm

Excellent Collin. I thought Stuart Green's site had disappeared.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Scatterbrain Kid » Fri May 06, 2011 6:51 pm

The gaming forums are full of people having trouble getting older stuff (eg CFS2) to run under Vista or Win 7.
I'm Win XP Home and have no trouble running older games and new ones.
Last edited by Scatterbrain Kid on Fri May 06, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLEASE STOP LINKING IMAGES, IT SLOWS THE FORUMS DOWN FOR OTHER USERS!!!!
Scatterbrain Kid
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Combat Flight Simulator 2