CFS2 on Windows 10

General discussion for CFS2 - WW 2 Pacific Theater

CFS2 on Windows 10

Postby investdude » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:56 pm

Just bought a new ACER gaming computer with Windows 10 because I have heard from others in the past that CFS2 would work with Windows 10. I have succeeded, with some difficulty, in installing CFS2 but cannot get it to run, Some of the files lost their .cfg .txt .log extensions but I restored them. Now CFS2 refuses to run, giving the message that the scenery,cfg file is missing or corrupted but it is there and I checked it carefully and it is not corrupted.

I wonder if any out there who still play CFS2 with Windows 10 could give any advice as to how I could get CFS2 working on Windows 10.
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: CFS2 on Windows 10

Postby hertzie » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:54 am

I have several CFS2's running in WinX, I have too, because when I' m on holidays I only have a WinX laptop with me. It's not the biggest fun..... I have them on a separate HD, not on the laptop-HD. The biggest problem is that in MY case the plane doesn't show in the game-menu when I choose one, so I cannot see then if the bombs are there or the paintscheme. I have to go to free-flight first to see what I've chosen. But, again in MY case, everything works fine. Another problem is the screendisplay, only 16-bit, I haven't managed to get 32-bit.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Safe landings,

hertzie
hertzie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:56 am

It's a very long time since I last used CFS2. I've forgotten most of what I once knew about it so can't be much help.

However, CFS2 & CFS1 have always worked well on my Windows 10 64-bit laptop. Like hertzie I have more than one version of CFS2 installed but can't remember if I installed them from the CDs or copied them from a different PC. I do know that they won't run on Win 10 without installing the appropriate No-CD patch.

I just fired up CFS2 on my laptop to check it out. Here's a couple of shots to prove it still works on Win 10.

hertzie wrote:The biggest problem is that in MY case the plane doesn't show in the game-menu when I choose one, so I cannot see then if the bombs are there or the paintscheme. I have to go to free-flight first to see what I've chosen.

I suspect the problem could be with your graphics card or CFS2 display settings. Mine works fine as you can see from the above shot.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby investdude » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:30 pm

Sorry, I posted too soon. The answer was actually to be found just a few posts below!
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Combat Flight Simulator 2