Prop RPM's

General discussion for CFS2 - WW 2 Pacific Theater

Prop RPM's

Postby jcool28 » Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:41 pm

I have two questions both involving the prop RPM. First, on landing approach what should my RPM and throtle settings be at? I know I should decrease RPM but how much? Second question, when at cruise alt where should my settings be at? should I run low prop RPM and full throttle to keep up with the formations?
thanks for the help!
M
jcool28
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Prop RPM's

Postby congo » Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:59 am

Don't worry about prop rpm or a specific throttle setting when landing.

You need to keep your airspeed correct, that's what important. Fiddling with prop pitch is just gonna cause confusion right at the critical landing stage.
Adjust your throttle and elevator to maintain a CONSTANT AIRSPEED in the approach pattern while adjusting your RATE OF DESCENT as required.

120 to 140 knots is a good approach speed for most CFS2 planes, reduce speed on final to 10 or 20 kts above the aircrafts stall speed, then kill the throttle when close to the end of the runway, hold it just off the runway until it lands itself.

If you want to keep up with formations, kick in full throttle, forget the prop pitch. Reduce speed as you close up the gap. If you still can't keep up, get a faster plane.

Prop pitch can be reduced to act as a brake so a rear attacker will overfly you, but this leaves you dangerously slow, so beware.
ImageMainboard: Asus P5K-Premium, CPU=Intel E6850 @ x8x450fsb 3.6ghz, RAM: 4gb PC8500 Team Dark, Video: NV8800GT, HDD: 2x1Tb Samsung F3 RAID-0 + 1Tb F3, PSU: Antec 550 Basiq, OS: Win7x64, Display: 24&
congo
Major
Major

Return to Combat Flight Simulator 2