Aircraft Texture Files

General discussion for CFS2 - WW 2 Pacific Theater

Aircraft Texture Files

Postby investdude » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:39 am

I'm trying to make a modification to an aircraft's texture file, in this case to the fuselage. But when I save the file and load it into CFS2 the fuselage appears as either black or gray or multicoloured, although the file displays normally in a viewer. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Aircraft Texture Files

Postby Hagar » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:20 am

The textures of CFS2 aircraft will most likely be in an Extended BMP format. Although some extended formats can be opened & edited in ordinary graphics editing software like MS Paint they will need converting back to the original format after editing for CFS2 to recognise them. Try converting your edited textures with DXTBmp here --> http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm (File > Save as > Extended Bitmap)

Note: There are several different Extended BMP formats. You can find the correct one to save them in by opening one of the original unedited main textures in DXTBmp.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby investdude » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:07 pm

Thanks Hagar, I knew you would have the answer! However, I need a bit more detailed help. I already have DXTBmp. When I open one of the original unedited main textures in DXTBmp it tells me the file is 512 x 512 - 32 bit. But that is exactly the same as the modified file. I have no idea which Extended Bitmap format to use. I have already tried Save As Extended Bitmap but that didn't work. Can you give me a little bit more detail on exactly how to proceed? Thanks!
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:08 am

I've checked out a few CFS2 aircraft textures & the formats vary depending on the author. You could try Extended 32-bit 888 as in the shot below.

Extended 16-bit 565 is aother commonly used format. If you still have problems tell me the aircraft you're attempting to edit (a description or file name would help) so I can download it & have a go myself.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby investdude » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:30 pm

Success with Extended 16-bit 565!!!!! Hagar has the answer! Thanks Hagar!
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:13 pm

Glad I could help. 8-)

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Combat Flight Simulator 2