Airbases.dat File

General discussion for CFS2 - WW 2 Pacific Theater

Airbases.dat File

Postby investdude » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:05 am

Maybe Hagar will have the answer to this. I have 124 entries in my airbases.dat file but only 51 show up in Mission Builder. I have checked the airbases.dat file carefully. All the runway numbers are in sequence. The id numbers go from 9000 to 9077 for the stock entries and then from 8000 to 8051. The only strange thing is that in the stock entries, while all the runway numbers are sequential, 3 or 4 times the id numbers skip ahead one number but this should not prevent all the entries from showing in Mission Builder. According to Cody Coyote's Mission Building Handbook the id numbers don't have to be sequential and other than for the stock entries you can use any 4 digit number as long as there are no duplicates. There are no duplicate runway or id numbers. But some of the stock entries and some of the other entries are not showing up. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Airbases.dat File

Postby Hagar » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:36 am

It's a very long time since I had anything to do with CFS2 & I've forgotten most of what I knew about it.

From the information you've given I assume you haven't modified airbases.dat. Please double-check that the runway numbers run in sequence & with no duplicate entries. The same applies to the ID numbers although from checking a replacement airbases.dat included with the Fox Four campaigns it's normal for the gaps in the default numbers that you mention. This starts happening after the [runway.5] entry. ID numbers 9000 to 9077 are the old CFS1 Europe airfields (prefixed with an asterisk *) & 8000 to 8052 are the CFS2 defaults. You appear to be missing 8052 which is Iwo Jima.

[runway.125]
id=8052
name=Iwo Jima
base_lat=N24 47.02
base_lon=E141 19.01
base_alt=180
heading=236
allegiance=0
units_across=2
takeoff_start_pos=-500,0
takeoff_stop_pos=1600,200
landing_start_pos=5000,350
landing_touchdown_pos=500,0
landing_stop_pos=-250,0

The easiest way to check this would be to replace your airbases.dat with the one included with the Fox Four campaigns. This contains all the original default entries with the Korean bases used in the campaigns added. You will find it in KWCFS2_C4.zip posted here --> http://simviation.com/lair/cfs2koreaRS.htm
Extract the file to a Temp folder & look in the INFO folder. You can back up your original file before replacing it.

Please let me know if this helps.

PS. I assume the airfields that do show up in the Mission Builder are the CFS2 defaults. It's quite possible that the old CFS1 airfields won't be listed as the ETO scenery is not included with CFS2.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:52 am

I've just installed CFS2 to check this out. The CFS2 Pacific Theater airfields are listed in the MB by default. You can select the Operating Area from the button on the Create New Mission window. Select European Theater & click Apply to list the CFS1 default airfields.

I also checked the default airbases.dat. This is the last entry:

[runway.123]
id=8050
name=Gasmata
base_lat=S6 15.77
base_lon=E150 20.22
base_alt=0
heading=223
allegiance=0
units_across=2
takeoff_start_pos=-400,0
takeoff_stop_pos=1600,200
landing_start_pos=5000,350
landing_touchdown_pos=500,0
landing_stop_pos=-250,0

Iwo Jima is not listed.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby investdude » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:03 pm

Thanks for your reply Hagar, you've been very helpful. I can now access the CFS1 default airfields by selecting operating area. What I am trying to do is write a mission using an addon airfield. I can do that by going to exact location but only runways that have an airbases.dat file entry can be used for the Take Off and Land at Base commands. The airfield I am trying to use does not fit in any of the operating areas given in Mission Builder. So my question now is: how can I add an area to the operating area list in Mission Builder? What is the file that governs this list?
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:12 pm

Glad that helped.

So my question now is: how can I add an area to the operating area list in Mission Builder? What is the file that governs this list?

Please bear in mind that I'm no authority on mission building. Have a look at opareas.dat in the CFS2\INFO folder.

PS. I've just realised I did a tute on the subject. Check this out. http://simviation.com//lair/Scene2MbDb.html

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby investdude » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:04 pm

That's exactly the information I needed. Hagar, you are far too modest, you know more about CFS2 than anyone, even when you don't know you know it! :lol: Many thanks!
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:41 am

You're welcome. Good luck with the missions. ;)

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Combat Flight Simulator 2