CFS2 Kneeboard

General discussion for CFS2 - WW 2 Pacific Theater

CFS2 Kneeboard

Postby investdude » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:16 pm

Does anyone know how to get a checklist to appear on the kneeboard under checklist? All the stock aircraft have them as text files eg. f4f4_wildcat_check.txt and they work. But if you try to give a non-stock aircraft a checklist, it will accept it under notes (eg. *_*_notes.txt) but not under checklist. I have tried all kinds of things such as deleting the .CDP file but can't get it to work. I have also searched the web but can't find any explanation of how the CFS2 kneeboard works. It's probably something simple and I'm hoping someone like Hagar knows!

Investdude
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: CFS2 Kneeboard

Postby Hagar » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:18 am

investdude wrote:It's probably something simple and I'm hoping someone like Hagar knows!

Investdude

It's a long time since I had anything to do with CFS2 but I'll see what I can find out.

Update: I copied this from CFS2 Help. Not tried it.

Creating Your Own Checklists

You can create a new checklist to display on the Combat Flight Simulator 2 kneeboard or modify existing checklists, but you should only attempt this if you are an advanced user of Combat Flight Simulator and know how to open, edit, and save text (ASCII) files. Make backup copies of the original files so you can restore them if you make mistakes.

To create a Combat Flight Simulator 2 custom checklist

1. Using WordPad, NotePad, or any text-editing program, create a .TXT file containing your checklist or open an existing checklist file and modify it. It’s a good idea to use the checklist files that shipped with Combat Flight Simulator 2 as a guide for how to format the text within your file.
2. Save the file with the same name as the original checklist file you want to replace. For example, to create a new checklist file for an A6M2 Zero, save the file as A6M2_CHECK.txt. You must save the checklist file in the [drive]:…\Combat Flight Simulator 2\AIRCRAFT\A6M2_ZERO folder.

Note: If you’re modifying a Combat Flight Simulator (version 1) aircraft checklist, you must save the file as a .TXT file and not a .CFG file, which is the original format of the file.
3. Open the AIRCRAFT.CFG file (appropriate to the specific aircraft with which you’re working) in a text editor and add the following line to the file (find this file in the [drive]:…\Combat Flight Simulator 2\AIRCRAFT\[aircraft] folder):
In the [fltsim.0] section of the file, add the line kb_checklists=[filename] where [filename] is the name of the checklist file you just created. Do not type the file's extension (.txt). For example, the correct line of the AIRCRAFT.CFG file for the A6M2 would read KB_checklists=A6M2_CHECK.

4. If you’ve made these changes while in flight, either restart Combat Flight Simulator 2 or select a different aircraft to reload the kneeboard. In other words, be sure to select another aircraft from the Aircraft menu, and then switch back to the imported plane in order to see the changes you've made to the checklist.

Make your changes, and then see how it looks when displayed on the kneeboard. You can use spaces and tabs to align the text, but it’ll probably take some time to get the layout right.

If you've imported an aircraft from Flight Simulator 2000 or Combat Flight Simulator (to learn more about importing aircraft, see Importing Aircraft), Combat Flight Simulator 2 automatically displays the aircraft's checklist on the Checklists tab of the kneeboard. Flight Simulator 2000 and Combat Flight Simulator checklists are located in the individual aircraft's subfolder, in a file named [aircraftname]_check.cfg.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby investdude » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:26 pm

Yes, it was the KB_Checklist line in the aircraft.cfg file that was the problem. Many thanks Hagar, you are still a wealth of CFS2 info and we are lucky to have access to your expertise on this board!

Investdude
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:08 pm

Glad to help when I can. 8)

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Combat Flight Simulator 2