will CFS2 run on windows 7

General discussion for CFS2 - WW 2 Pacific Theater

will CFS2 run on windows 7

Postby capnstimac » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:17 pm

Should CFS2 run on a Windows 7 machine?

I have factory CFS2 install discs which ran fine on my old Windows Vista machine (now dead alas!)

They install OK but as soon as I try to run the sim I just get a screen that says CFS2 not working.
I have installed it as an administrator and have also tried installing to a separate folder. Still same result.

What am I missing?

Capnstimac
capnstimac
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: will CFS2 run on windows 7

Postby Hagar » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:25 pm

CFS2 runs fine for me on all versions of Windows including 7, 8.1 & 10. This file might help --> https://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=cfs2+no+cd

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby capnstimac » Wed May 01, 2019 10:48 am

Thanks for the info - I'll keep trying.
capnstimac
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Thu May 02, 2019 4:05 am

Please let me know if my suggestion worked for you.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby capnstimac » Sun May 05, 2019 5:49 pm

Regarding CFS2 running on my Windows 7 computer - unfortunately still no joy.
The situation has changed slightly - prior to downloading and unzipping the files you suggested to my CFS2 root directory I kept getting a "CFS2 has stopped working" notice.
Now I get a message that says "scenery.cfg is missing or damaged"
I had installed the game directly from my Microsoft factory discs so I'm confused how I could have a missing or damaged file.
I tried replacing the scenery.cfg file from a backup copy that I had made a few years ago and that didn't work either.
Really at a loss as to what's going on here! Is it possible my discs could have been corrupted? The game installed and ran fine on my old Vista machine.

Thanks again for you help!
capnstimac
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Mon May 06, 2019 8:44 am

capnstimac wrote:Regarding CFS2 running on my Windows 7 computer - unfortunately still no joy.
The situation has changed slightly - prior to downloading and unzipping the files you suggested to my CFS2 root directory I kept getting a "CFS2 has stopped working" notice.
I had installed the game directly from my Microsoft factory discs so I'm confused how I could have a missing or damaged file.
I tried replacing the scenery.cfg file from a backup copy that I had made a few years ago and that didn't work either.
Really at a loss as to what's going on here! Is it possible my discs could have been corrupted? The game installed and ran fine on my old Vista machine.

That seems odd but yours is not a unique problem so I don't think your disks are corrupted. I've seen it reported on several different forums but have never experienced the problem myself on any of my various PCs & operating systems. That No-CD patch from my link usually does the trick.
It's difficult to suggest anything so I can only throw a few ideas your way to see if they work.

It might depend on your version of Windows 7. Mine is the Home Premium 64-bit edition. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

You mention a backup copy of CFS2. Have you tried running the copy itself from wherever it's located by clicking on CFS2.exe? I discovered by accident some years ago that a backup copy of CFS2 will run perfectly from a remote HDD & even a flash drive. I should point out that my backup copy already has the No-CD patch installed so doesn't need the CD in the drive to run.

If all else fails you could try the Reinstall option from the CFS2 CD.
(This is copied from my CFS2 Tips page)

Select Add/Remove from the CD.
Then select Reinstall & check the Recopy existing files from media? button.

Note: I think you should be able to copy files direct from the CFS2 install disks. I can't find mine right now so can't check this out.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby capnstimac » Mon May 06, 2019 11:11 am

Ok,

Thanks. I'll keep trying.
capnstimac
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby H » Mon May 13, 2019 1:54 pm

I have multiple installs of CFS1 and a couple CFS2 and all run by my Windows 7 disputer. I did have an early issue with CFS2 when trying to run my USB-based install and had to copy the CD cfs.exe into the USB folder (the already installed no-cd .exe I'd given a different name). I know that a new replacement cfs.cfg can be generated when you run the program. I also right-clicked and checked the Run in XP mode (in the Compatibility tab). It seems I had to do this with every install I had before the programs all worked and I then replaced the default .exe with the no-cd .exe, again checking the XP compatibility mode.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Nighthawk117 » Mon May 13, 2019 5:16 pm

have you tried using compatibility mode?
Nighthawk117
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby simonan » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:19 pm

Hagar wrote:
capnstimac wrote:Regarding CFS2 running on my Windows 7 computer - unfortunately still no joy.

That seems odd but yours is not a unique problem so I don't think your disks are corrupted. I've seen it reported on several different forums but have never experienced the problem myself on any of my various PCs & operating systems. That No-CD patch from my link usually does the trick.
It's difficult to suggest anything so I can only throw a few ideas your way to see if they work.

It might depend on your version of Windows 7. Mine is the Home Premium 64-bit edition. https://softcroco.com/download-windows-7-ultimate/

You mention a backup copy of CFS2. Have you tried running the copy itself from wherever it's located by clicking on CFS2.exe? I discovered by accident some years ago that a backup copy of CFS2 will run perfectly from a remote HDD & even a flash drive. I should point out that my backup copy already has the No-CD patch installed so doesn't need the CD in the drive to run.

If all else fails you could try the Reinstall option from the CFS2 CD.
(This is copied from my CFS2 Tips page)

Select Add/Remove from the CD.
Then select Reinstall & check the Recopy existing files from media? button.

Note: I think you should be able to copy files direct from the CFS2 install disks. I can't find mine right now so can't check this out.

What is the best solution for this problem other than the compatability mode?
simonan
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Combat Flight Simulator 2