[Bot] [Bot] [Bot] [Bot]

Questions, suggestions, ideas, complaints, compliments about this site or forums. Ask here.

[Bot] [Bot] [Bot] [Bot]

Postby akoyeh » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:03 am

Bing, Google, Google Adsense, Masjestic-12... 4 Bots that never go away much. Excessive.

Curious: How much bandwidth are these web crawler Bots consuming? Do you know? Am getting an increasing sense that they're intermittently interfering with the smooth flowing of the forums here. Only Majestic-12 flees whenever I begin writing about it. Always. This time I'm following through with posting the question instead of pulling back when MJ-12 vanishes after it's once again hung out here out a long while. The other 3 are always here, or at least I've never seen the "Who is online" list without them.

Am respecting the fact that this forum chooses to make these visible to us, for others forums I'm familiar with do not, for some of the reasons being brought up here now. Thoughts?
Cleverness is mere opinion, bewilderment is intuition.

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: [Bot] [Bot] [Bot] [Bot]

Postby pete » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:13 am

Hi - we only have about 4 'bots' that are allowed - Google, MSN, Yahoo and 1 other.
These are at virtually every legit site, it's just that you don't know they are crawling. This is how a Google search works, as an example. Returning info the bots have crawled for searches. I could probably find a way to hide them - but not sure there is a point in that ..... (?)
I think they use very very little bandwidth.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [Bot] [Bot] [Bot] [Bot]

Postby akoyeh » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:32 am

Thank you for your response, Pete, appreciated.

Respectfully, am honestly trying to get my widdle bwain wrapped around this stuff. You list 2 more Bots than I have at the beginning of my post. So then, there are no less than 6 Bots here constantly and/or regularly? Have got reasons in asking these questions, as this website forum is the sole one of the many sites personally visited on a daily basis where I regular get intermittent, irregular slowdowns. Am striving to understand why them apples do like that, it's puzzling.

Am knowing that there's a way to throttle back many Bots in regards to how much bandwidth they consume as they crawl through everything on a website. In the event that they are consuming more than it's presently realized then this may be something that you may wish to pursue in the future. After all, if it takes a Bot only a few more minutes to effectively crawl a website in total (seconds, more like it) then how much difference can this make in the largest scope of things in their reporting back to their masters for information dissemination? (Gee, that almost sounds intelligent, heh!)

Cleverness is mere opinion, bewilderment is intuition.

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Site Questions & Feedback