pete?

Questions, suggestions, ideas, complaints, compliments about this site or forums. Ask here.

pete?

Postby yancovitch » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:58 pm

hmmmmmmm......sure would be nice if you could tell us about you pete.....always been a mystery to me :|
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Re: pete

Postby Roypcox » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:09 am

Yes that might be very interesting to us all. I bet he has some great things to tell to his subcribers. How about it Pete???
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: pete

Postby pete » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:14 am

Me? Just a guy who runs this hobby site and likes a quiet life. I'm the opposite to someone who likes attention ......
Nothing to tell. I've met Doug (Hagar) in real life when Simviation 1st started and a few FS guys at an Aces preview of 'Flight' but really no one would be interested in my little ordinary life. Been interested in planes (& cars) for much of my life and have had 2 pilots licences (PA-28 & PA-38) - one expired and one just not current.
I walk my dog. Passionate about woods rivers and wildlife and other things. Have a daughter studying to become a doctor. (& I have to get an additional job to help pay for it) A girlfriend who cooks a great meal. A little garden on my rented home. Want to write but suffer writers block seemingly endlessly ... That's about it.

Maybe you guys would like to tell us about you too? :)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Re: pete?

Postby zswobbie1 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:25 pm

I'm Robin from Cape Town, South Africa.
I've tried all the sims and end up with FS9, 4 versions, including a Ford Tri-Motor version, Golden Wings version, and a club version, amongst others. I'm Secretary of the Friends of the South African Air Force Museum at Ysterplaat, (FAYP) our local Air Force Base, previously Chairman for the last 3 years. We look after and restore heritage aircraft. Our current project is restoring a Buccaneer. Static condition only. We also have The only start up able Shackleton Mk3, that we haul out of the hanger and we have engine start up at the end of each month.
Last Saturday's event was quite memorable, as the wind from the props blew down a wall behind it.
Then, I'm part of a volunteer group that look after and mentor the Young Falcons. 60 kids, 30 junior's and 30 seniors, within a 2 year project, lessons and practices on PC's, ending with a civilian flying to the base at the end of the year for a Wings Parade, where the civilian pilots will let the kids fly circuits.

We also have built an Avro Shackleton and an Aeromacci MB326, known here as an Impala sim, using actual controls, seats etc. We are actually using FS9 for this, as it just works on a normal PC, with freeware scenery and a payware Shackelton model.

I live with my girlfriend and 2 dogs in a lovely suburb of Cape Town, Llandudno, 2 minutes from the sea.

Well, enough about me.
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby akoyeh » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:00 pm

yancovitch wrote:hmmmmmmm......sure would be nice if you could tell us about you pete.....always been a mystery to me :|

...and Pete graciously accommodated you by showing you/us his. Now show us yours? If there be a mystery man here, it's you. :-) Almost 200 listed pages of your posts and you give up very little. See, have got $1,000,000 USD to bestow upon you as the random winner of a secret lottery but will first need more personal information. Then I'll in turn spill my guts for you, how that be? A fair buy?

Enjoyed reading a bit about you, Pete, sounds like a good life. You as well, Robin, leading a servant's life as well. Maybe mystery man's wordsmithed thumbnail next?

Cleverness is mere opinion, bewilderment is intuition.

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby akoyeh » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:11 pm

Would never ask anyone to do anything I would not do myself, so here goes...

My name is David and I forget where I'm from. Really. Had to be from somewhere before being born, am just not remembering from where exactly. Almost didn't make it when born, reluctant to take that first searing breath of oxygen for some reason. Took over 2 minutes to do so, and before knowing what happened: Here I am now. :-) Fascinating, that.

My first flight in an aircraft took place when I was a teenager, the experience awe-inspiring and wonderful. A doctor/pilot took our Explorer Scout troop up 3 at a time up in his Piper PA-22 Tri-Pacer. 3 takeoffs and landings in all, each of us getting a turn at front seat with hands-on flying time including turns and stalling. I was hooked. It's why I'm in process of getting involved with the local branch of Young Eagles, an organization gifting young people their first airplane ride, a worthwhile fellowship: https://www.eaa.org/eaa/youth/free-ye-flights

Served my country for 4 years in the USAF as a hypobaric chamber technician ("altitude chamber", training flight crews) and later in Physiological Support Division for SR-71 Reconnaissance. After honorable discharge from the Air Force it was on to being Program Supervisor for my hometown Parks & Recreation Department, later driving for Greyhound Lines seasonally for 7 years afterwards, finally becoming a recognized artist (painter of people and places mainly) and on to becoming a writer.

My first flightsim was over 35 years ago before many of you were a gleam in your daddy's eye. A simple little Timex-Sinclair 1500 computer and an extremely basic Psion Flight Simulator. Took over 2 minutes to load that simple program from a cassette tape player. The first part of this short video will give you a taste of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDh71FV5XAk Next it was on to my Apple IIe and Bruce Artwick's SubLogic Flight Simulator II before Microsoft bought him out. It was chasing green lines on a monochrome monitor, flying out of good ole' Meigs Field in Chicago to Champaign, Illinois while imagining what decent scenery might look like one day. Now we know. Kept me happily busy while waiting to be called into work as a Greyhound extra driver back in the 1980s.

FS95, FS98, FS2002 onward through FSX, dabbling in X-Plane and headed back that way when I can afford it. Have tried several other modern flightsims but always return to FS2004, quite satisfied with all it does. Nostalgia is a factor as well. Sure, it hasn't quite as detailed graphics as more modern sims but hey- It's global, it's stable, has basically just about everything as well as a vast amount of add-ons freely available to dress it out as you're seeing fit. If it ever becomes too familiar then I simple grab some new terrain mesh and fly somewhere on virtual Earth that I've never been before in various kinds of weather conditions and different seasons. It's never failed to renew a sense of wonder and relaxation, especially when flying any number of fine planes available.

I talk too much, write too much, and as Robin aptly puts it: Enough about me...

Cleverness is mere opinion, bewilderment is intuition.

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Site Questions & Feedback