Missions Forum

Questions, suggestions, ideas, complaints, compliments about this site or forums. Ask here.

Missions Forum

Postby jamarogers » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:10 am

I would like to make yet another plea for a "Missions" forum. I have read prior posts on the subject and while I don't totally disagree with the rational against this new forum, I firmly believe the positives far out weigh the negatives. Please note also that the same logic against this forum also applies to ALL the existing ones. Unruly members could be easily banned and their useless comments deleted...thus problem solved. Some benefits would include: a much better quality product in the end, increased traffic/downloads/etc for the site, easier collaboration for those desiring to develop the mission development skill, sharing of design tips, features, bugs etc in FSX and the other SDKs.

Simviation is one of my favorite flightsim sites and considering FSX's popularity after more than a decade since its release, it seems a real disservice to eliminate this niche for such a wonderful hobby. Thanks for the opportunity and I hope other will chime in here. For anyone wanting to see the benefits of this and the potential volume information to be generated, please visit FSXMissionsHangar.com. Its a small site dedicated primarily to Missions, yet contains a trove for both the beginner in flight simulation and the real world pilot.
jamarogers
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Missions Forum

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:50 pm

As someone who goes to the grocery store without any idea what I want, beyond "food", I'm totally uninterested in "Missions".

On the other hand I believe that it'll generate very little interest on this website.

Because of that, I'd suggest a 6 -12 month trial. It shouldn't require much monitoring. And if it should grow to a point where there is a lot of activity, one volunteer should be selected as a sub-monitor with the understanding that if they can't keep it up, the sub-forum would be shut down.

Just an idea.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby jamarogers » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:40 pm

Each to his or her own, but have you looked at the FSX Missions page here lately? I just posted a mission yesterday and already have 247 downloads. That seems like quite a lot of interest to me... but I'm only a buck Private, so what do I know, SIR?
jamarogers
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:01 pm

jamarogers wrote:Each to his or her own, but have you looked at the FSX Missions page here lately? I just posted a mission yesterday and already have 247 downloads. That seems like quite a lot of interest to me... but I'm only a buck Private, so what do I know, SIR?

SimV has a huge number of lurkers that read posts, and download files. But they rarely join and post in the forums.

I wasn't knocking you or the idea. But if I've offended you, I retract my suggestion. Not that anyone would care. :lol:
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby jamarogers » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:07 am

No offense taken and I respect your opinion regardless of my position... this is what I believe a forum is for. By SimV, I assume you mean SimVar? If so, it is capable of extending P3D and FSX to their near full potential. It also has a steep learning curve, but like most anything, you'll get out of it what you put into it. FYI, its creator, is now working with Dovetail Games on development of their Flight Simulator for the obvious reason. I believe that speaks highly for SimVar...
jamarogers
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby slimcooper2002 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:52 am

I for one would love to see more missions, I am constantly looking for new missions at various sites. The problem I have with missions is that alot of them dont work very well or they forgot a file or something, and Ive had very little luck trying to email the maker of the mission. Maybe with a forum we might start to see some more quality missions like the ones that came with the game.
slimcooper2002
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby jamarogers » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:28 am

Good points, Slim; and BTW there is a very lengthy list at the Hangar forums on the subject of "why a mission loads as a flight?"... just in case you haven't seen it.
jamarogers
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby pete » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:33 am

Well we could create a missions forum -- see how it goes -- then if there are not enough posts to merit it's own forum just merge them back into FSX
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Jean Loup » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:00 pm

I like Flights, but don´t know what difference they have with Missions. In México, Missions were constructed by european invaders to replace the piramids. :doh: :dance: :shifty:
...LiCENSE & REGiSTRATiON !!
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby jamarogers » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:23 pm

Thanks Pete...I look forward to see how it goes. There seems to be a lot of interest in the missions, based on the number of downloads, so I'm cautiously optimistic.
Jean, if you're serious about the difference between "missions" and "flights", why not fly one of FSXs stock missions? The difference is simply the achievement of certain goals, built into the mission, which usually includes a Reward upon completion. I hope you'll try one. I too enjoy flights, but the missions' challenge is what's appealing to me...
jamarogers
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby jamarogers » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:18 pm

Pete, Pete, Anyone? Are you still with us? What about the Missions forum?
jamarogers
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby jamarogers » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:48 pm

... apparently not!
jamarogers
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby pete » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:27 am

OK I'll create it and we'll see how it goes. :)

If it doesn't get used I'll move the posts into the FSX forum.
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby jamarogers » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:13 am

... heard that one before... we'll see!
jamarogers
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby pete » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:30 pm

jamarogers wrote:... heard that one before... we'll see!

..... well it was created 1 minute after I made the above post. So far you haven't used it ..... :)
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Site Questions & Feedback