Seperation of church and state!

Questions, suggestions, ideas, complaints, compliments about this site or forums. Ask here.

Seperation of church and state!

Postby OldAirmail » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:54 pm

OOOPPPpps :oops:

I meant separation of planes and textures/repaints

There has to be a very good reason that almost all flight sim web sites with downloads don't have them separated.

Even the few sites that let you filter, like SimViation, don't break it down in that way.

Take a casual trip through any of the "categories", and you're flooded with a mix of textures and planes. I usually just get tired of looking.

This isn't just a SimViation problem, it's everywhere.

If it's a plane with 2, 3, or even 10 different textures/repaints, it's a plane

If it's a texture/repaint, put it under Textures/Repaints, and let us search there.

I know that it would be a major pain in the **** to sort them, but you could ask that all new uploads be sorted and ask for volunteers to sort what is already there.

Planes. Textures. see how easy that was.

I'm sure that there are a great many people who's time is far less valuable than mine to do the work. :D
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Re: Seperation of church and state!

Postby papituwall » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:19 am

I agree.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:02 am

The job would be humongous considering the large number files here.

I'm not a database programmer, but I have created a number of large databases going back to when DBase III came out.

It's something that I might be able to do. That would depend on the data, and the data format.

Perhaps others would be willing to help.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby PhantomTweak » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:26 am

I hate to reccommend a different site than this, but Avsim is broken out that way....maybe their mods can give ya some hiints...? :?: :?: :?:

Pat~
Have fun, fly high, far, and free!
Pat
2S7, Chiloquin OR Image
PhantomTweak
Captain
Captain

Postby Steve Hess » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:15 pm

Even seperating them from this day forward would be a big help.
Steve Hess
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby pete » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:24 am

At least we say 'textures' where it is textures only. Almost 100% the files will be described as 'textures' in the heading if it IS textures only.

The work involved in any kind of separation is virtually impossible now after more than 14 years of uploads.

We were in fact the 1st site to separate 'props, military, vintage , etc' -- the others copied us around 2000.

On top of that 'textures only' are a relative minority of files.

& at least we separate payware and freeware -- something one site I can think of doesn't do.

The realistic solution to this will be to try to refine the search function -- so if you search '747-8i textures' - you will get a more relevant return of required results within the category (FSX civil jets, FS2004 Civil jets, ... etc).
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:06 am

The Y2k problem was, in short, a worry that because the old DOS based programs couldn't switch to the year 2000, and that they would revert to the year 19xx. In other words the year 2000 would become the year 1900.

It was a VERY real problem. There were no major meltdown because we dealt with it, in most cases, well before the year 2000.

My employer had me take the data from a custom made DOS program and convert it into a format that could be imported into the new software. This included Customer names and addresses (often with multiple locations), phone numbers (again with multiple contacts & their phone numbers), sales, sales tax ID numbers, service contracts, and the list goes on and on.

The only thing that I couldn't do was to design the import fields for the new software. Once the software developer provided me with that info, I was ready to go.

Believe me, it wasn't a trivial import/export of data.

Looking through the SimViation downloads is not all that bad. I usually do a search for "textures". Depending where "textures" appears in the description, I next look at the file size for a clue as to whether or not I want to read that description.

And that one word - texture, would cause the greatest trouble. "Texture" only would be no problem. But an aircraft listing that is described as "Boeing BigPlane with some different textures" might have to be sorted out by hand. And THAT, could be a problem. Or it might not be that bad. It would depend on what format the original data was in.

As I said above, it wouldn't be a trivial import/export of data. I might be able to do it as a volunteer. Perhaps there are others who would volunteer.

While that was going on, new download candidates could have their description very slightly modified for better filtration later.

But whatever you guys do, don't think that I'm criticizing you & SimViation.

In fact, thanks or all your work.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:54 pm

OldAirmail wrote:Looking through the SimViation downloads is not all that bad. I usually do a search for "textures". Depending where "textures" appears in the description, I next look at the file size for a clue as to whether or not I want to read that description.

Another useful feature is the "Zip file preview" option. This allows you to view the contents of a file before deciding whether to download it.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:37 pm

That is an interesting feature.

More often than not though, what I run into, here and elsewhere, is an interesting download that says that it is a "repaint" or "texture" for the Cessna LittlePlane.

And then all searches for the Cessna LittlePlane only lead to repaints and textures. :shock:

BTW, welcome to post 33333

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby pete » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:06 pm

More often than not though, what I run into, here and elsewhere, is an interesting download that says that it is a "repaint" or "texture" for the Cessna LittlePlane.

And then all searches for the Cessna LittlePlane only lead to repaints and textures.

.... but ... nearly ALL textures only files here have a direct link to the required plane. Find one that doesn't & I'll add it --- but I think you'll have a search finding a textures only file without a link to the master file required.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Site Questions & Feedback