Non members with ad blockers

Information from behind the scenes for anyone who's interested ;)

Non members with ad blockers

Postby pete » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:00 pm

I have noticed 1 or 2 screenshots of the simviation site in the non member areas but no ads visible!

Ads and membership are the only lifeblood we have.

Please remember we only run non invasive google ads - with no popups or anything like that.
I sincerely thank those valued contributors who become site members but those who do not - and then download files & block ads too? Every person that does this is not helping simviation - akin going into a store and taking stuff without paying!

I think I will have to think of a solution -- so non membership with ad blocker might mean no site access ---
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Non members with ad blockers

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:22 am

I know that you don't control your advertisers, and that, generally they are inoffensive. Certainly not flashy, no pop-ups, and no auto play videos. And that is appreciated.

But "non-offensive" doesn't mean that they are never offensive.

When I took a trip to Seattle I searched for the best deal I could find on a car rental.

After returning home and opening up Simviation what did I get? EVERY TIME. "Great deals on car rentals".

OVER and OVER, and OVER. :evil:

You fault? Of course not. One, or more, of the rental agencies tagged me and sold that to whatever ad agency provides your ads.

As I've said in the past, I didn't use an ad blocker on Simviation. UNTIL I started seeing those ads EVERY TIME on Simviation.

I really do hate being targeted.

Your post did remind me to remove SimV from the ad blocker list.

And apparently I was able to scrub all of the cookies, malware, or whatever from my system because, as you can see - no care rental deals.

Oops. What's that on the second line?

Ad dated 6/17/17 8:56AM.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby pete » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:56 am

Thanks for the feedback OAM. Just have to be realistic as I have always run simviation for the fun it can give, rather than for any income potential. I'm a dreamer not a businessman or penny counter.
This nearly made me bankrupt when my debts ammounted to nearly 6 figures back in about 2004 -- then premier membership option prevented total elimination! If it wasn't for premier members, simviation would be a distant memory.
Now with ad blockers being quite common I see nearly record levels of data every month and subsequent costs. Premier members pay their way. Non members with ad blockers are simply eating breakfast and walking out of the door. Not sustainable :)

I am glad you noticed we only run google adsense - and no popup or video ads. Trying to be as inoffensive as is possible!

I wish it was easier but I love simviation too much to see it getting ill.

(& personally I don't run ad blockers on any site - despite the irritation of some sites with pages jumping all over the place as ads load! It just feels wrong to me to block ads. I think it's because I know it's a survival thing for many sites.)
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby pegger » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:25 am

I can appreciate that some income is neccesary to keep a website alive. I also appreciate having a choice when it comes to being targetted for advertising on the internet. So where am I going with this commentary?

I am an avid supporter of Simviation. So much so, that any add-ons I have built for FSX were uploaded to this site exclusively. As of the time of this writing, my scenery add-ons have summed just over 6000 downloads on this site. I can't afford payware, or memberships, or other costs to enjoy simming as a hobby, so I support the community in the way I can...by creating content for free distribution.

I do not support the concept off "stay off my site unless you let me make money from your visit", especially if I added stuff to this site with no expectation of recieving royalties or compensation for my contribution. My contributions help bring traffic to the site.

I've had my rant, and now because I believe one should not complain if one does not wish to help solve the problem, I have a suggestion. I'm going to presume a significant portion of the cost for this site would be the data costs for every download. Perhaps the forced viewing of ads coukd be restricted to the point in time where a user decides to download? A simple pre-download pop up that says "Thank you for your interest in the file you are about to download. Your download will commence after this word from our advertisers".

I could accept the need to see an ad if I want to download for free. I don't like being forced to see ads just so I can browse the site, communicate in a forum, or offer free add-ons (read: my time and effort) to the simulation community.

Because I truly admire what you have built Pete, I begrudgingly limit my adblocker so that I can continue to enjoy your site, but I respectfully disagree with a heavy handed approach towards those users like myself, who did more than just woke up and had breakfast...

May Simviation live long a prosper!
pegger
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby pete » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:40 am

The ads plus membership just about pay costs ...

It does just about work as things are. (there is no 'stay off the site' anywhere and nobody is blocked)
I will happily give regular creators of good files free membership!
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Anthindelahunt » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:58 pm

Pete.I probably will get shot for this,but what if above our yearly dues
you ask once a year for a small donation .

I struggle on an old age pension,but I can always scrape up an extra
$10-$15 a year.

Surely there are a lot of us who look on this site as home.

Just my two bits worth.

Anthin. :mrgreen:
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:46 pm

I frequent Simviation mainly for the friendly atmosphere. My downloads are few and far between nowadays.

From time to time, I'll post pictures.

I like to post things that are a bit different, usually hoping to tweak peoples interest in some place outside the normal flight areas. I'm not all that sure if it's worked though. There are many areas of the world that haven't received special scenery, but are still worthwhile.

Although this site isn't all that interested in tech, like some sites, I try to introduce the possibility of cheap, or easy, ways to make the flight sim more like a flight simulator without having to go overboard and over budget with a full simulator.

So for me, this site, is like the conversation around a picnic table - sometimes interesting, but usually relaxing, and causal.

If there were a vote, I'd vote for a "Make A Donation" button. No amount, or perhaps a low minimum amount. Leave it up to whoever wants to donate. Giving credit to those who donate should be the option of the donor.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Tonydb » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:06 am

Well I guess that the title of this topic really says it all if we dont have express membership then we are non-members.

Google adsense is invasive period, It adds code to your computer and it attempts to send information to Google about your internet usage. Which is why it has been banned in a lot of countries and is just one of the infractions it is being investigated over in the EU.

Sure the site has to pay for itself, but as the payment methods lock out half the world a little more thought could go into how to get those membership fees, Pete look at your own byline get global.
AMD FSX 8 Series 4.65 KHz, 16GB Memory, ASUS MB, 2 X 2TB hard drives, 1 X 1TB SSD, Orico 4TB external backup drive, AMD 9000 series Graphics Card, 3 X AOC 25" Monitors Saitek AV8R, Saitek throttle block, custom cooling
Tonydb
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Shadowcaster » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:45 pm

I have just purchased my membership after letting it slip for a while due to money problems and not doing much in the Simming for a while. Could I make a suggestion, would it be possible to pay monthly, I'm sure that others like me could be more able to afford this.

Cheers
Rich

P.S.

Thanks Pete and all the Mods and all those that upload their artistry and the posters for all the help, info and fun you bring to the forum. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby gaab » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:00 am

That' a long time I have disabled AdBlock for this site, but since the last Firefox version I get the "AdBlock" warning but Adblock do confirm that it is inactive for that site !

I use "protection contre le pistage", which is not an advertisement blocage !
Please check your way of testing AdBlock setting.

Thanks - Gérard
gaab
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Simviation News & Info