Interesting look back at Simviation through the years

Information from behind the scenes for anyone who's interested ;)

Interesting look back at Simviation through the years

Postby pete » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:02 am

May bring back some memories for those who have been using us for some time! :dance:

https://web.archive.org/web/19990615000 ... iation.com
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Interesting look back at Simviation through the years

Postby Flying Trucker » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:19 am

Thanks Pete...now that is going to take some time to have a look through... :clap: ;)
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:53 am

Fascinating stuff!

Going back well over 16 years of my life to the old; "Ultraboard" Forum and beyond!

Lots of familiar names, and lots of familiar friends, now and long ago, many of whom I still recognise here, every day!

I now feel I must have been a very young Lad when I first signed up to Simviation on the original Forums!.... :D ...!

Lots of water under the bridge, and good memories!

Part of a big Club!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby hertzie » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:17 am

Through the years still my favorite site !! And hat's off for Pete for all his great work !!

hertzie
hertzie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby papituwall » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:53 am

Very interesting, many thanks.
Is it possible to have a permanent link to this web in the main page?
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby pete » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:40 pm

I'll think about that. It's a nice idea!

It reminds me that back in 1999/2000 - 'Flight Simulator' was chart topping and for quite some time the best selling PC software 'game' on the planet with entries in Guiness Book of Records. At the same time data transfer was primative and very costly and 'ad revenue' non existant. Simviation quickly became up there in the top 3 websites providing addons. I know I got myself into a great deal of debt running simviation back then. Avoided bankrupsy by the skin of my nose. I still have those PC books/programs bought in PC World on my shelf for web design, javascript, Red Hat Linux, ... then later, Dreamweaver, etc. :D

Even though for me it seems a bit like a kid looking back at his drawings in junior school - the files are the interesting part and how they developed. Had Bruce Artwick, and subsequently Microsoft, not created it as open to freeware development by anyone, Flight Simulator would have ground to a dry and dusty halt way back.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Roypcox » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:11 am

I I have been hanging around Simviation for six years or so ago. I have been to other sim forums but not as a participate. I never participated in any of them but have started here just recently. I just like the atmosphere here and the absolutely willingness to help the newcomer without making him feel stupid. I flew the old props in Vietnam and know alot about flying but flight simming is new and different experience for me and my computer skills like a lot to be desired so much of what I have learned has been here. I have asked a few questions and always got great answers. I will never have the computer savey Pete,Hager Garyb, and Old Air Mail. But if I need to know something I can just ask and get a polite reply. The guys here are like old friends that you would like to have a beer with.
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby C » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:12 pm

A bit of a trip down memory lane! It has been/was weird how MDFS developed. I started with 5.1 and then a year or so later got BAO's Flightshop. You'd be looking at a detailed aircraft if the download was over 100kb and an awesome one if it was between 300-500kb! I followed all the way through to FS9, by which time everything was a bit more serious and payware had become much more prevalent. Then of course real life took over. Obviously the way gaming as a whole has gone has followed the DLC model somewhat established by boxed/download add-ons to FS. FS itself seemed to reach the end of it's natural lifespan in the mainstream - I wonder how much of an effect the cockpit bans established after 9/11 had on this...

Anyway, here's to a few more decades. <<r
C
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Simviation News & Info