New system going live today

Information from behind the scenes for anyone who's interested ;)

New system going live today

Postby pete » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:42 pm

Months in preparation & a new main site system is going live today.

Many, many hours have been spent in beta testing and it is finally ready to incorporate it into the site.

Main points:

New upload system where category/thumbnails/description/zip file are added to a form & uploaded.

New dynamic system which will grow out from the existing system and with the same categories and feel.

All new content added will become part of the new system & will show up in the dynamic search results

New system will allow many advantages such as:
  • Improved & easily accessible searching
    Earlier & multiple updates daily
    Download numbers in description
    Less if any broken links and more features

There WILL no doubt be a few teething problems so please bear with us as we correct these. Only by going live can we fine tune things & fix unseen problems.

There will be some repeats & overlaps until the new system grows from the old in about a week

Many thanks

Pete Daly
Simviation
Update (June 09): OK just as anticipated, there have been a few initial problems.

Most of these have now been cured - all reported/realised problems are immediately worked on & fixed.

Thank you for bearing with us in this upgrade.
Last edited by pete on Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New system going live today

Postby a1 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:38 pm

Lets hope for the best of this new system. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
790i : QX9650 : 4Gb DDR3 : GeForce 8800 GTX : 1 WD Raptor : 1 WD VelociRaptor 150
a1
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby VFR Reviews » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:03 pm

Hurray for progress!
Hi Rob :)
VFR Reviews
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ozzy72 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:28 am

The acid test 8-)
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby jobrober » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:27 am

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Too many connections in /usr/web/htdocs/simviation/simviation/cfg.php on line 3
AHHAHAToo many connections

cant log in
jobrober
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby pete » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:45 am

I apologies for this. This problem has come to light under user load & is being dealt with ASAP.
It seems to come & go so please retry.

Meanwhile sincere apologies! I'm trying to get hold of Paul our programmer who will fix this.
Last edited by pete on Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby jobrober » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:00 am

pesky bugs, call the pest man
jobrober
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Stubbedtoe18 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:06 pm

I can get into the downloads now, update looks cool...  Only thing is isn't there a way I can access the member's download section?  It seems as though when I click my member status doesn't carry over into the downloads section anymore.  Nor can I download multiple planes at the same time...  Just wondering if this stuff will be addressed?  I'm just bringing this to your attention, not trying to cause trouble or anything...  I am grateful for the forward progress that is being made.  Thanks.
Last edited by Stubbedtoe18 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stubbedtoe18
Captain
Captain

Postby pete » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:26 am

I can get into the downloads now, update looks cool...  Only thing is isn't there a way I can access the member's download section?  It seems as though when I click my member status doesn't carry over into the downloads section anymore.  Nor can I download multiple planes at the same time...  Just wondering if this stuff will be addressed?  I'm just bringing this to your attention, not trying to cause trouble or anything...  I am grateful for the forward progress that is being made.  Thanks.

Hi -

when logging in you should go to the main page. The you can click the 'downloads' page. Like it was before.

As for the multiple downloads that will be looked into & fixed. I didn't know about that.

There should be no drawbacks to the new system - only advantages. Nothing is being taken away.

Thanks for the feedback!

Edit: Logged in as a member I am able to download multiple files. Are you still having the problem?

Thanks
Last edited by pete on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Stubbedtoe18 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:15 pm

Yah I am.  At the main SimV Premier page, the download pages I am directed to are non-members.  The ads are there, and I cannot download multiple planes at the same time still.  It also doesn't have the right click save ability like the old Premier section does, though I don't know if you're having that carry over.  I have to wait for one to finish before the other starts, which was never an issue in the old members and non-members sections.  I'm not sure why it won't take me to the new premier downloads.
http://www.simviation.com/simviation/?p=index
Last edited by Stubbedtoe18 on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stubbedtoe18
Captain
Captain

Postby pete » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:37 pm

OK - maybe you are logged into the old system. Because the log in page has changed - try clearing cache & make sure you are logged off.
Close your browser.

If you go to www.simviation.com   make sure the URL you see when you hover your mouse over the 'log in' link is this

http://www.simviation.com/members/identify.php

If you log in that way you should be fine.

Let me know.

I'm always very grateful for feedback on any issues & thank you very much!
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Stubbedtoe18 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:59 pm

I believe it is me to be thanking you!  Thanks for your directions, I now have access to the new members section.  I can once again use the right click, save as method which is great.  Unfortunately, I still can't download more than a single plane simultaneously.  That is the only fault I can find as of now with the new system, otherwise all is well  ;D
Stubbedtoe18
Captain
Captain

Postby pete » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:16 am

Well at last it seems most things have been fixed.

The system developed a lot of problems when it went live as it had not (& could not have been) tested under load.

Every known problem has now been addressed and fixed.

As always please report any problems (email support@simviation.com is the quickest way)

Thank you!  8-)
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Simviation News & Info