New Image Size Limits

Information from behind the scenes for anyone who's interested ;)

Re: New Image Size Limits

Postby Tweek » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:32 pm

I'm running at 1280, and have to scroll.

But, my resolution's not the problem. The problem lies within the forum software. Many other forums will just increase the size of the box in which the image is placed, so no scrolling is necessary (with 1024 at 1280 in mind). However on here, it confines any image to the preset size of the box, so anything that exceeds the size gets chopped off. Thus, you have to scroll.

If this can be removed somehow, then the scrolling issue, for many people will be eradicated. You may still have to scroll across the screen a bit, given that avatars and names take up the left hand side of the screen, but you'll still be able to see the whole shot in view.

If nothing can be done about it, then I won't be wasting my time going through threads scrolling on each picture. Simple.
Last edited by Tweek on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tweek

Postby simonmd » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:43 pm

Thank you for that Tweek, my point exactly!! Unless each screenshot title is labled with it res', I won't even bother opening to see if I suspect that they may be 1024x768 and too big to see. Bye, bye, screenshot forums! :-/

As for seeing my own shots, that's not the point. I can see my own shots very well at home on my PC thank you very much!! What I want to still be able to do is to view and apreciate OTHER peoples pictures.

I think you miss my point. I also cannot view shots over 800 wide without scrolling, therefore I am unlikely to post any shots at more than 800 wide. I was extrapolating this to the 'majority of users who use 1024x768' and suggesting that therefore they are also unlikely to post pics wider than 800px. Ergo, the majority of pics posted will be no wider than 800.

Thanks for the response Pete, it'd be great if it can be fixed.

Steve

If that's the case, why increase it? Surely it would be better to have lovely clear uncompressed 800x600 shot's than 1024x768 ones that still need compressing due to their size?

Pete, great to hear that you are aware that this is indeed a problem and that you are looking into it, however, why not wait until a solution is found? This issue was raised when the last upgrade took place and nothing has been done so I'm not holding my breath this time. Before that, I used to do a lot in the SS sections but have found myself useing other sites to display and look at pictures since.

By just going ahead with this increase (which has already been done I notice), you are risking alienating many people like myself and Tweek from the SS forums. By the time it is eventualy fixed, you'll have lost many contributers.

What I really don't get though is the forum software itself. The version before last could display them no problem, and i'm sure could have gone to 1024x768 as well as there was no fixed window. I'm sure most of us would rather have full sized pictures than a few pretty buttons and an 'RSS' link. This is all about style over substance.

If, for some reason, it's not possible to revert to the last version that worked, surely it would be best to keep the max picture size to 800 wide until a proper solution can be found?
This months's screenshot contest entry> http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1197692798
simonmd
Major
Major

Postby NickN » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:10 pm

Before everyone get their panties in a ruffle and start taking their ball and going home, do me a favor and check out this link:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_p ... ?TID=24627

Do you have to scroll to see those?

If not, 1280x1024 shows a 1024x768 image without the need to scroll, if you do, then something is out of sorts, what I have no idea.

So if the issue is the forum software give Pete a chance to look into it before starting to threaten you are leaving which is not going to fix things and at the same time it does nothing to allow for positive changes.

No one has to post anything they do not wish to. many will remain at 800x600 simply because it allows them to hide more and I dont care what anyone says, 100K is enough to produce a 800x600 screenshot without any compression issues assuming you know how to use the software to do the job and have the right software installed.

150Kb is more than enough for 1024x768 or 1024x640

Lets let Pete look into the forum software before posting protests and rants. I think that would be a much better direction to take.
NickN
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby simonmd » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:44 pm

No, all I had to do was scroll accross so the pic filled the screen (the WHOLE pic not just a bit of it like it would appear here) and then was able to see the whole thing at once by scrolling down the entire set. Very nice pics they are too BTW! The same pics posted here would have to be scrolled accross, which is the problem.

No one is threatening to leave or having any similar hissy fits, i'm just saying that many will no longer feel inclined to participate in the screenshot forums like they once did if 1024x768 pics start to become popular. The pics posted in the link above would be ruined on SimV for many as we wouldn't be able to see the whole pic at once, ruining the great landscape effect.
This months's screenshot contest entry> http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1197692798
simonmd
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:09 am

...I give up on the Screen Shot, etc, Forum... :'(...!

With a "normal" Desktop resolution, ie; easy to read, of 1024 X 768, I can no longer view the Pictures in the Latest Forum when they are anything larger than 700 Pixels wide without scrolling every picture back and forth!

On the previous Forum(s) if I am not mistaken, it was possible to view the whole of an 800 pixel wide Picture without horizontal scrolling, with a desktop resolution of 1024 X 768.

Whenever I post a Screen Shot or Photograph now, on the new Forum, I have to make sure that it is less than 700 pixels wide (default 640 X 480) to avoid other viewers having to scroll horizontally to view the whole Picture!

Something is "different" with the new Forum Layout...much wider Borders?... ::)...!

Paul... 8-)...!

...any screen resolution greater than 1024 X 768 makes the Text too small to read comfortably, and magnifying the Text distorts it!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mrjake2002 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm

I've upped my res and I still need to scroll!  :o I think it must be something to do with the forums as I posted the pics on the UKAR forum and I don't need to scroll there. Ah well, maybe I'll post in 800x600 and link to hi-res ones.  :)
[url]http://www.flickr.com/gravityxgrace[/url]
mrjake2002
Major
Major

Postby Tweek » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:27 pm

I posted the pics on the UKAR forum and I don't need to scroll there.

Well you shouldn't have, as UKAR have an 800 pixel limit. ;) :P
Last edited by Tweek on Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tweek

Postby mrjake2002 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:55 pm

Do they???  :o Woops!  ;D
mrjake2002
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:00 am

Do they???  :o Woops!  ;D

I was tempted to view Jake's Pics here....>>>

http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1200746920

But rapidly gave up after noting that they were 1024 pixels wide and required considerable scrolling backwards and forwards to view bits of them...!

...never again!... :-[...!

Even 800 pixel wide Pics require horizontal scrolling to view them now!

(Fat Borders!)...;)...!

Paul...1024 X 768.... 8-)...!

Standard 640 X 480, high quality Photo's and Screen Shots is the only way it seems to work reliably for everyone...;)...!
Last edited by Fozzer on Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby simonmd » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:17 am

Here's the other BIG problem here, not only do they need to be scrolled but you have to scroll the WHOLE LOT at once! Therefore, to see the first few pics of a series, you have to scroll to the end of the post, scroll the bar over, scroll back up to the top to actualy see it and then scroll back down to scroll them over for pic #2!!

Sorry, Dave, Pete, etc. This is NOT acceptable. How can you justify this?
simonmd
Major
Major

Postby spitfire boy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:23 pm

There is a flip side Simon... those with really big monitors (as sizeable a number as those that do not) can't see much detail at all when the pics are only 800 wide. A compromise has to be found.

Anyway, I have this scroll problem at present, but it should be solved eventually, since I will soon be taking posession, if all goes well, of a brand spanking new gaming PC with a new 20" widescreen monitor... :D
Last edited by spitfire boy on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[center]
spitfire boy
Major
Major

Postby 61_OTU » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:31 pm

Here's the other BIG problem here, not only do they need to be scrolled but you have to scroll the WHOLE LOT at once! Therefore, to see the first few pics of a series, you have to scroll to the end of the post, scroll the bar over, scroll back up to the top to actualy see it and then scroll back down to scroll them over for pic #2!!

If you have a clickable scroll mouse then clicking on the scroll wheel should bring up a scroll icon. See the little grey circle on the picture below

Moving the cursor right and left of this scroll icon will allow you to scroll a window without scrolling down to the scroll bar at the bottom of the post

Sorry, Dave, Pete, etc. This is NOT acceptable. How can you justify this?

I fail to see how you can criticise a free site so strongly. If you were paying for a service, then fine, but this is all provided by Pete free of charge. I think that anyone wanting a different format should offer to finance and administer it themselves   ::)
61_OTU
Major
Major

Postby legoalex2000 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:23 pm

After having tried the new limits for a bit..... I must say, I like!!

Allowing the resolution to be higher Isn't really important for me thoughit can be usefull for cropped images.

The 150K means I can upload my screens at about 95% quality in Irfanview instead of 90% and I'm quite happy with that!

The main thing I like is the 150K and 600K max in a thread.... Quality over Quantity!

( now who would have imagined me ever saying that!)( especially in my early days ;D)

I don't know about you, but 70% seems to suffice, and the difference between 90% and 95% is very minute. I'm saying, just because it can get bigger, it doesn't have to. don't forget some people who are still on dial-up and such.

:)Ramos - perfectly content with the old rules. ;)
legoalex2000

Postby simonmd » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:50 pm

Thank you '6', that's a great tip!

To the others that still don't think this is a problem and would like to see large pics on their big monitors, how selfish are you?

SimV should be run for the benifit of ALL members, not just a select few. Sure if SimV had forum software that was compatible with large pictures on any res', then increasing the size would just be a matter of debate for those on dial-up. Even then, they can still see the pics but would just have to wait longer for them to load.

The point that a lot of you that DON'T have this problem seem to be missing is, WHY increase the size of pics on a forum that cannot display the ones it already has?

To go ahead as has been done and basicaly shut out anyone who can't afford a large screen or who needs a low res so they can read text is not what I expected from SimV.
Last edited by simonmd on Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonmd
Major
Major

Postby mrjake2002 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:49 am

From now on I'm only going to post 800x600 and link to the 1024x768 ones.  8-)
mrjake2002
Major
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Simviation News & Info