when 'simviation' 1st started

Information from behind the scenes for anyone who's interested ;)

Re: when 'simviation' 1st started

Postby 4_Series_Scania » Thu May 16, 2002 4:42 pm

came to the forums in febuary this year and really havnt left ;)

We noticed......  :(

Thats a joke!!!  ;D

Your input IS appreciated - Really!  8)
Posting drivel here since Jan 31st, 2002. - That long!
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest."
4_Series_Scania
Major
Major

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Thu May 16, 2002 5:00 pm

We noticed......  

Thats a joke!!!  

Your input IS appreciated - Really!  

lol

but now i look back on it i dont seem to of put much useful stuff here ;) :D
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Northwest 102 » Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:24 pm

Those graphics bring up so many flight hours logged. :)
I flew a majority out of Hawaii to the other islands.  I had a King Air B200 which I flew the most for FS98/2000 (Which I can't use on FS2002 because of some third party BS)  I had a Caravan and a few Citations.  Memories, memories.  Almost a hundered hours logged.  I remember once, I was a Meigs with a Northwest Airlines 747-400 and managed to taxi to the very end of the runway and apply the revercers to back up to the very edge of the land and water where I applyed full brake and full thottle to initiate a snap roll and then I let her go and lowered full flaps and took off about 10 feet before I hit the water on the other side.  CRAZY HUH?

MIKE (KingairB200)
Fly D E L T A/NORTHWEST AIRLINES!
Northwest 102
Major
Major

Postby legoalex2000 » Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:09 am

man, I stepped onto this site from Yahoo!. I was bored With my fleet on 2002 and had heard of D/l aircraft. So I typed it inand Bam, first site up was simviation. I had hit this site right as you were changing from Ultraboard to YaBB.  And since I have 250 Downloaded aircraft (half of them work, my fault) And havent stopped since. Then I got into these fourms, met people, had arguements, and found out who Pete was.

Thanks Pete for Brighening my FS life.
three cheers (again) for pete and Simviation

hip.hip....horray
hip.hip....horray
hip.hip....horray
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
legoalex2000

Postby newrad » Sat Aug 24, 2002 11:54 pm

i didnt know who pete was until a week or two ago when i saw him posting., I just never was able to put a nickname to simviation. Pete you need to post a pic of your self so we know whos handling our precious addons and forums
newrad

Postby Iroquois » Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:40 pm

OK - I uploaded the files to a folder & here they are......

http://www.simviation.com/thestrip/flig ... wnload.htm

Wonder if anyone here was here then?? Doubt it...... Doug may remember.... ??

Checked it out. Boy have things come a long way. As a side note, why did you guys take out the Google search of Simviation on the search page. It was much more acurate.
[center]I only pretend to know what I'm talking about. Heck, that's what lawyers, car mechanics, and IT professionals do everyday. ;)
The Rig:
AMD Athlon XP2000+ Palomino, ECS K7S5A 3.1, 1GB PC2700 DDR, Geforce FX5200 128mb, SB Live P
Iroquois
Major
Major

Postby pete » Tue Oct 29, 2002 1:13 pm

Checked it out. Boy have things come a long way. As a side note, why did you guys take out the Google search of Simviation on the search page. It was much more acurate.

I'm afaid it may have only seemed to have been accurate.

In reality Google is pretty behind on it's updating & was constantly throwing up old outdated pages where the links weren't working. I was getting so many complaints as a result. ... in short it was a nightmare..... but of course if you want to irritate yourself you can add google to your toolbar & still 'search this site' (
Last edited by pete on Tue Oct 29, 2002 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Felix/FFDS » Tue Oct 29, 2002 2:23 pm

You've seen Pete's likeness - he was the favoured model for Barney - the Purplesaurus...

i didnt know who pete was until a week or two ago when i saw him posting., I just never was able to put a nickname to simviation. Pete you need to post a pic of your self so we know whos handling our precious addons and forums
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Biggles » Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:00 am

I guess I could frase my finding of Simviation in a poetic manner but it would propbably bore you all stiff. Oh well, here it goes (if you can really call it poetic). I first found Simviation.com when I was browsing the net for something like "FS2000 downloads" in early 2000. I had previously that week or so found sites like Flightsim and Avsim and was going insane from not being able to work out how to download files succesfuly ( I knew nothing of Winzip). I stumbled across a link reading "Simviation.com" and clicked it. I was amazed at the quality of the site and it's graphics as soon as I saw the main menu. Thanks so much Pete for building Simviation.com and making the present under the Christmas tree so worth it.

I got started in the Forums probably a few days later and made lots of new friends and found out so much about the simming world. If I hadn't found Simviation I would have never made a good start on FS2000 and I now realize how much joy this site has brought me, and obviously many others. I have learned so much about my PC and had loads of fun along the way. It I hadn't made that search at this very moment I would probably be blowing up aliens this very moment on my PC.

No offence to you of course Pete but I think I prefered the Simviation look of 2000, not that I don't like it now.  ;) ;) ;)
Biggles...
Biggles
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Biggles » Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:02 am

Also, I think that this deserves to be stickied.
Biggles
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby pete » Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:14 am

No offence to you of course Pete but I think I prefered the Simviation look of 2000, not that I don't like it now

1st - thanks for the comments.  ;D
I can't remember what the graphics were like in 2000 but we were at that time partnered by a Canadian group called Rydium who re-designed the site & were goi g to do a lot more. One problem was they made the pages far too heavy in terms of graphics - the main page alone was over 100K before input. With the dot com bust the whole thing became a nightmare, hosting especially & the finances were never paid either so eventually I broke with them.
The site design is fluid & always changing. It's not really my area but I do my best. I agree completely it could be improved a lot. The main thing I concentrate on is navigation which I try to make as easy as possible - without anything being too deep into the site & lightweight graphics to make pages easy to navigate.

You've seen Pete's likeness - he was the favoured model for Barney - the Purplesaurus...

I knew sending you a photo was a mistake Felix. OK I may be purple, have a waist like a balloon &  a face like dinosaur - but hey - looks are superficial.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Wing Nut » Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:52 pm

Man, I forgot all about that eye-killing yellow entry page! ;)

I remember the site back then, I started coming here in late '99 and visted pretty regularly for the next year or so.  I was without a computer for a year and have just started getting back into flight sims over the last few months.  I initially browsed in, started to get into building planes and such, then decided building is not where my interests lay.  I must say, that looking back, the new Simviation is a much better looking page, more accesible, and much better forums.

Pete, keep up the excellent wotk!
[img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1440377488.jpg[/img]
Wing Nut
Colonel
Colonel

Postby EirePlane » Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:38 pm

Hey Pete, are you changing the layout again for FS2004 COF.
You had the strip for FS98, http://web.archive.org/web/19990508053948/http://www.simviation.com/ for FS2000 and "YaBB" Simviation for FS2002
Last edited by EirePlane on Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EirePlane
Captain
Captain

Postby Rifleman » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:05 am

After taking a brief jaunt through the history presented here, I feel like such a rookie........but will endeavor to continue my learning, even though its slowing now at a higher rate than my increasing age..........
Rifleman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby stormy » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:12 am

Wow I am impressed as well Pete.. you sure have done a great job on here.. thank you for getting this going for  everyone.. I for one love this site. never thought I would say that about a flying site.. thumbs up all the way......... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Women Rule!!!!!!need I say more!!!!!!!
stormy
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Simviation News & Info