Site policy about the "No CD" patch.

Information from behind the scenes for anyone who's interested ;)

Re: Site policy about the "No CD" patch.

Postby dcunning30 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:30 pm

Here's my worthless $.02.

MS owns flight simulator.  As a result, there's a whole industry of folks who are making money because of the MS product.  It's MS's party, so they get to select the tunes to play.  You can either dance to their song or leave the party.  SimV chooses to dance to their song.  It's a pragmatic decision.  And in the big picture, SimV policing the NoCD Patch on their site and forums is REALLY a small price to pay for all that we get.  Continuous discussion is pointless.  Everyone here who wants the NoCD Patch either has it already or can easily get it somewhere else.  It's really not a big deal.
TURKEY TROTS TO WATER GG WHERE IS RPT WHERE IS TASK FORCE 34 RR THE WORLD WONDERS
dcunning30
Major
Major

Postby pete » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:51 am

We don't host the No CD patch not because we dance to MS's tune - which we don't - but because of the close relationship between the patch & piracy.

Remember that FS is only popular because of the way it was originally designed (before MS bought the franchise) to be developed & added to by users. So it is M$, like any business, that needs to dance to the tune of the consumers.

MS may be a big & powerful organisation but it is nowhere as big & powerful as the consumers it serves - MS tappears to sometimes think it doesn't need to dance to consumers or it knows best (think CFS3 & to some extent FSX). Like any product - if/when the company doesn't dance well the consumers will want to go elsewhere. In a competitive world where there is choice , they can. We all love the Bruce Artwick creation that MS now owns & so are unlikely to desert it in a hurry. ........

Like I say - no-cd patch - not for this site.  8-)
Last edited by pete on Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Site policy about the nocd patch

Postby spitfire boy » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:47 am

[quote]So is it considered piracy to use the NO CD patch, which I do, and I did purchase a legal copy of Microsoft FlightSim 2004, and it is even registered with Microsoft

[center]
spitfire boy
Major
Major

Postby Xyn_Air » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:02 pm

One re-hash comment and two questions:

Comment:
About the No-CD patch, I think FridayChild gave the most concise answer as to why it should not be offered: it violates the EULA.  I am not saying it isn't useful.  I am not saying that only pirates and not legitimate owners of Flight Simulator use it.  I am not saying that if you use it you are a pirate.  I am not saying that if you use the No-CD patch your co-pilot is a llama and you got your pilot's license from mailing in Bazooka Joe bubble gum wrappers.  The only point is, the patch does go against the EULA, and it goes against the EULA in a way that Microsoft feels strongly about because of the potential for abuse by pirates.

Heh.  Pirates.  Argh, matey!  Now I want a pirate-themed set of skins for my favorite aircraft.  Heh.

Questions:

I read several comments about the vitriolic posts made in the "FSX" forum.  Are you referring to Simviation's FSX forum or a different FSX forum?

Secondly, what is our current relationship with Microsoft?  Are we getting along?  Not to say we have to be lap dogs to Microsoft or that we have done anything wrong, but it could be nice if we have a positive relationship.
Xyn_Air
Captain
Captain

Postby Wing Nut » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:18 pm

Nobody 'gets along' with MS.  You simply do what the 300-lb gorilla says or else.  
[img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1440377488.jpg[/img]
Wing Nut
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Simviation News & Info