Site policy about the "No CD" patch.

Information from behind the scenes for anyone who's interested ;)

Re: Site policy about the nocd patch

Postby Gary R. » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:25 pm

I suppose it is a small price.  I shouldn't complain.  I have gotten many excellent and enjoyable files here at simV and other than avsim it's the obly site I dowbload from and it's also mostly the main forum I get info and ideas on to.  I very much appreciate simV and once when it was down I was nearly lost for a day, lol.  I found a utility that came in a value added software package that came with my 6600 GT.  It's called VirtualDrive.  It may be like that daemon spftware that was mentioned.  I will tinker with it and see if I can get my disk 4 on a virtual drive D.

Gary
AMD 2800xp on gigabyte vt600l k7 triton overclocked @ 2.3 ghz, 768 PC 3200, 128 DDR 6600GT AGP, 60 gig,5200 rpm maxtor, 160gig 7200rpm WD, Sony FD Trinitron 19
Gary R.
Captain
Captain

Postby C » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:39 pm

I very much appreciate simV and once when it was down I was nearly lost for a day, lol.

I think we all appreciate SimV here. I was lost for 2 or 3 days once when the site went down earlier this year (group hug)... ;D
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Saitek » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:16 pm

Yeah I missed it something terrible too when it went down. The weird thing is when one knows it's down one keeps going back every 5 mintues to see if it's back up! After an hour of that it hurts! ;D
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Intel Core 2 Duo E2180 2GHz
GA-P35-DS3L Intel P35
Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2) DDR2 6400C4 800Mhz
GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
2 x 22" monitors
200GB Sata
Be Quiet! Straight Power 650W

Flying FS
Saitek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby FridayChild » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:08 am

IMHO:
considering a "no CD patch" illegal software is the same as considering a CD-R disk an illegal item. Because it *could* be used for illegal purposes (making an illegally downloaded install of FS2004 work without the presence of the original media), but it is designed to do a totally legal "hack" (not having to insert the original disk every time); and I believe most if not all people here use it this way.
In the same way, why not ban CD-Rs from shops too, because they *could* be used to burn illegal copies?
It could never stand up in court.  ;)
btw, I understand the site policy and I haven't any problem with it.
Founder of A.A.A.A.A.A.A. (Aircraft Amateurs' Association Against Absurd Aviation Acronyms) My system specifications: FLIGHT SIMULATOR 2004 - AMD Athlon 64 3200+ CPU - 3 GB PC-3200 DDR400 dual channel RAM - 500 GB Seagate B
FridayChild
Major
Major

Postby Delta_ » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:27 am

With no NO-CD patch, it means less people not paying MS for software, so more money to develop and keep FS going, so we see better flight sims from MS.  For that reason alone i'm happy with the no-cd patch not being available. ;)
Delta_
Major
Major

Postby Flt.Lt.Andrew » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:59 am

Yeargh, y'all pirates. Now walk the plank of bad flight sims!

A.
Flt.Lt.Andrew

Postby bbstackerf » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:54 pm

I have it from when I first bought FS'04. When I downloaded it I naturally assumed it was fine if it was on SimV. Like some others mentioned I use it because I dont like getting the disk scratched up from over use. And I'm in FS probably a lot more than I should be for a sane individual. ;D I have CDs and DVDs that are trashed from scratches. I keep nice and undamaged for reinstillation purposes. Someone said when it's no longer workable it's time to get the newer version. I have a lot of hours in repaints and downloaded addon aircraft. I like FS'04.  Anyway I have all 4 disks and the serial number so I figure I'm ok.

Keni ;)
The only thing you never want to hear a Navy ordnanceman say.
bbstackerf
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby eniranjanrao » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:49 am

I would like to add that a lot of work goes into creating a game when all of us have money to spend on booze and fag and what not I think parting a bucks for orignal version should not hurt us all.So No Cd patch is out at least for me.
I've been banned for constantly ignoring the forum rules, spamming, being abusive to mods and making false accusations against them. They've modified this profile to show everyone what happens to obnoxious foul-mouthed little idiots!
eniranjanrao
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby born_2_fly » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:32 am

STOP BRINGING THESE POSTS BACK FROM THE DEAD!  >:(

This thread is nearly a year old....

Its worse than SPAM  :-/
Last edited by born_2_fly on Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
born_2_fly

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:53 am

This thread has become valid again though.

Now Microsoft has stopped backing this site again for the most petty of reasons. Do we still have to bend down to their will?
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby born_2_fly » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:18 am

This thread has become valid again though.

Now Microsoft has stopped backing this site again for the most petty of reasons. Do we still have to bend down to their will?

Yeah but the previous poster made no reference to this...

Although I agree with you, now that Microsoft arn't officially 'acknowedging' us, can the NO-CD patch be uploaded again, or is it still in the realm of 'piracy'?

Alex
born_2_fly

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:22 am

I've looked at the FSinsider links page and to be fair we are down under the addons section. But not in the community section. Seems like MS like what we have to offer but not what we have to say.

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fly2e » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:04 am

Simviation was added to the Community Pages over the summer after a few conversations with the Aces team.
After the whole Tdragger incident, we were mysteriously removed
COMING SOON!
Fly2e
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:15 am

I suppose it can only do our reputation for impartiality good. Who needs Microsoft anyway? ;D

Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby born_2_fly » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:51 pm

Simviation was added to the Community Pages over the summer after a few conversations with the Aces team.
After the whole Tdragger incident, we were mysteriously removed  ::)

I vaguely remember this....
Can anyone remind me in full?!  :-?
born_2_fly

PreviousNext

Return to Simviation News & Info