Yabb engineer wanted.....

Information from behind the scenes for anyone who's interested ;)

Yabb engineer wanted.....

Postby Bazza » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:10 am

This is a bit involved, I'll try and make it simple.......

I am not a "newbie."      For about 6 years I enjoyed these pages under the user-name of "Bazza."     Some of you may remember me, I know Ozzie will........

About 3 months ago I made a big mistake.    I went into my profile to change to my new email address.    While there I thought I'd upgrade my password to match my business one.

It seems to me that the Yabb software can't cope with both at once.    I found after that that I couldn't log-in any more.  Neither my old password or my new one were accepted. I went to the forgotten password area and tried that.   It accepted my username and stated that an email was sent to me with the password.     I tried this about a dozen times, the email never arrived, either at my new email address or the old one that I kept for a month.  I checked that the email hadn't been treated as spam, it hadn't.

I tried to "re-register" under another name, I was advised that I couldn't because the email address was being used by some other person - at least it looks like that was accepted.     To solve this I was told to use the forgotten password system but had been there and done that.

So there I am, locked out of my favourite forum.   I contacted Pete, he wasn't able to assist me.     I have re-registered on another computer just so I can post this, but I can't change the email address in the profile because "some other member has that address."

What happens if two people (say two brothers at home) want to both belong to the forum ?     In my experience, the second one to try and register will run into the email address problem.

I had the exact same problem with another Flight Simulation site, also using Yabb, when I did the same thing there.    On that occasion when I used the "forgotten password" system it worked and I received the email with the password..     It appears that Yabb had changed my password from a 6 letter word, to a 12 apha/numeric random one, probably as a security measure.    I am sure that's what has happened here.

What I need is for someone in high places to completely delete my old profile under the name of Bazza.   I assume I could then re-use it ?    Yeah right.

I am assuming also that my resident status with about 560 posts is lost and gone forever.     Yeah I know, I wasn't a prolific poster, but a big reader...

Anyway in the meantime, don't change more than one profile thing at a time or you'll become an outcast like me.
Last edited by Bazza on Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where's the throttle...?
Bazza
Captain
Captain

Re: Yabb engineer wanted.....

Postby ozzy72 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:03 am

Hi Bazza, okay I've no idea about fixing your old ID but we can remove it so you can go back to your old username (I'll ask Pete nicely for you ).

Mark

Ps. Yup you'll probably lose your old post score, but hey you can get those 5 stars all over again ;D ;D ;D
Last edited by ozzy72 on Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:15 pm

This sounds ever so much like the problem Flying Trucker had... From what he said it was blindingly obvious and easy to fix which is why it took him six months. ;D
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:49 pm

OK I've deleted you old account now so you should be able to register from scratch.

Let me k ow if you have any problems & if you want me to restore you old number count which was 532 at the time of removal ... ;)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Bazza » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:27 pm

Sadly the saga continues :

On trying to re-register I was advised that the email address already exists with another member....

On trying to alter the profile of "sonofbazza" I was advised that the username of Bazza already exists........

Next step....?
Where's the throttle...?
Bazza
Captain
Captain

Postby pete » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:30 am

OK Bazza,

I've again deleted the real 'Bazza' & chaged your name to Bazza ...

If you log in from scratch do it as you did to view this message

Let me know if you have further problems - :)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Bazza » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:18 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Success at last...............

Full credit, Pete.

:D :D :D :D :D
Where's the throttle...?
Bazza
Captain
Captain

Postby Felix/FFDS » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:29 pm

OK Bazza,

I've again deleted the real 'Bazza' & chaged your name to Bazza ...

If you log in from scratch do it as you did to view this message

Let me know if you have further problems - :)

Pete - is it my turn to work on Bazza now????
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Bazza » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:27 pm

Aha ! !

Just as I suspected   -   a conspiracy !
Where's the throttle...?
Bazza
Captain
Captain

Return to Simviation News & Info