Lightning strike

Information from behind the scenes for anyone who's interested ;)

Re: Lightning strike

Postby eno » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:31 am

I was staying at a friends house after a particularly good party, whilst throwing up into the bathroom sink the house was struck by lightning. This was during a high tension period of the cold war and when the whole place turned white all I could think was, OMG !!! They've done it!!!! ..... quickly followed by hillarity as my friends dad crawled past, the open doorway to the bathroom, to goto the ajoining toilet ... He had been knocked out of bed by the strike.  :o
[align=center][img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/imaginsigeno.jpg[/img][/align]
eno
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:23 am

Now THAT is funny ;D ;D ;D
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby pete » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:39 am

Yup I was in the house - & the house is out on it's own & on relatively high ground. It all happened in a milisecond - It took me a moment to realise what had happened ...

The whole room & outside flashed almost ultraviolet, the whole house seemed to jolt physically & the loud crack seemed to spread away so it wasn't as loud as I would have imagined. There was a strong smell of 'spark' or ozone as well as burnt plastic  - everything fused out & I thought I'd lost some electrical items - even my PC's ... Luckily the main fuse had blown immediately protecting the rest of the electrical circuit. Just the unfused phone lines & equipment were damaged.
I still haven't found a visible strike point but my neighbour's tractor is parked at the side of my house & the bolt may have grounded through that.
My next door neighbour saw it & said she though I may have been injured it was such a bolt.

There was no warning & I had heard no previous thunder. The clouds weren't even that dark .. just a heavy atmosphere .... Had I been outside I may not be here writing this!  ;)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Hagar » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:06 am

[quote]
There was no warning & I had heard no previous thunder. The clouds weren't even that dark .. just a heavy atmosphere .... Had I been outside I may not be here writing this!

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby BFMF » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:29 pm

:o

Glad you're ok Pete!
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:14 pm

Pete are you related to the Bishop of York? I seem to recall he had a similar problem ;D
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Craig. » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:17 pm

i remember a lighting bolt hitting the terminal building at memphis airport, sounded like a plane exploded, and i dont think a single person in the terminal spoke a word for like 5 mins.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby RichieB16 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:54 pm

Well, at least you wern't hurt.
RichieB16
Major
Major

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:36 am

Lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place. But that doesn't stop it striking three or four times.
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby xFLAMESx » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:25 pm

I suppose Pete should look on the bright side of this at least it was only lightning, could have been elephants! If that had happened he'd still be tidying up :o

Even worse Mark - It could've been you! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

[glb]Thanx. Carl[/glb]
Honours :
Freeware Screenshot Competition Winner, June 2009
xFLAMESx
Major
Major

Previous

Return to Simviation News & Info