too many subforums and a few ideas

Have you any suggestions for additional forums or improvements?

too many subforums and a few ideas

Postby Slotback » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:49 am

This website has far too many sub-forums covering very similar topics. There's a number of reasons why I think this must be changed which are:

1. It makes the forum appear cluttered with members, especially new ones, posting topics to the incorrect sub-forum.
2. Very Similar discussions can occur in different sub-forums.
3. The structure of the forum index is strange and the placement seems arbitrary.
4. The sub-forum topics seem arbitrary.
5. Many sub-forums are dead.

In my opinion the forum needs re-structuring and consolidation.

In summary, here is how I would have it:

"Current Flight Simulator Related Discussion"
Flight
Flight Simulator X
Flight Simulator 2004
Other Current Flight Simulators
Addon Discussion
Multiplayer
Hardware & Tweaking <--- I keep seeing people posting hardware topics in the FSX forum?
Fight School

"Flight Simulator Gallery"
Screenshot Showcase
Studio V Workshop
Screenshot Contest
Payware Product Screenshot Showcase
Edited Screenshots
Photos
Video

"Software Forum"
Software & Games
The Cage

"General"
Real Aviation
General Discussion & Humor
Music, Arts & Entertainmaent
Sport
Autos
History

"Design Forums"
Creating Aircraft Traffic (AI) & Gates
Aircraft & 3D Design
Scenery & Panel Design
Aircraft Repainting
Home-built cockpits

"Simviation Site"
Simviation News & Info
Site Questions, Problems & Feedback

"Other Websites"
Websites

"Old Flight Simulators"
FS 2002
FS 2000
FS 98
Combat Flight Simulator 3
Combat Flight Simulator 2
Combat Flight Simulator
CFS Development
Other Old Flight Simulators

I'm not saying this is the best way it can be. But I think it could be better than it is now - besides - I keep seeing people post Hardware topics (for example) in the FSX forum... I then don't see them and then I don't try to help them.
Last edited by Slotback on Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slotback

Re: too many subforums and a few ideas

Postby pete » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:08 pm

Food for thought. Thanks
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Steve M » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:50 pm

I don't think I would ever put General discussion and Humour together. Even though occasionally threads come up where it's hard to tell the difference.  ::) If one who wants to post a serious topic kept getting bumped by jokes it would be a little frustrating I think.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby Chris Cosgrove » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:27 am

Slotback has definitely one useful suggestion in what seems a reasonably sensible proposed structure :  under his proposed heading of "Old flight simulators" is a sub-heading for "Other old flight simulators".  I am fairly sure there used to be a heading 'Other sims' on this forum site but if there was, it is there no longer. I may be confusing this site with another of course, but it is a good idea.

Chris Cosgrove  :)
Chris Cosgrove
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ArcticFox » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:47 am

This is a problem with many forums that specialize in an interest, and I've learned to keep my mouth shut and deal with it. But hey since someone else opened this topic.

I'm sorry but most forums suffer from an exaggerated sense of importance and greatness. Hence anal rules like not allowing image posting from image-hosts and a ridiculous amount of sections and sub-sections. Like I said: not a problem, but that doesnt mean I don't think it's utterly stupid and self-important. This site could do with these simple sections:

Flight Simulator - (talk about flight simming, any version and topics like troubleshooting or flight planning)
Design and repainting - (self-explanatory)
Screenshots and video - (self explanatory)
General discussion - (self explanatory)

You can just add rules that say you have to put payware/freeware in the thread title for a repaint post, or sports in a general discussion post. You can make the contest thread a sticky instead of an entre sub-forum.

Like I said that's just me, I don't really care how it's done it's not my site I just have an opinion about it.
[ASUS P8H67]- [Intel core5 2500k]- [4gb Corsair DDR] - [Asus 560ti]
ArcticFox
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby pete » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:01 pm

Well I think you are mistaken if you think we are full of self importance and anal rules ......

This forum grew organically - largely by requests and suggestions - over many years -- and the boards cannot be merged. The only choice is to dump all posts in a board if that board is scrapped. Which seems a great shame. (I reluctantly did this with the 'Cafe' when that was voted out ... b ut we lost 1000's of interesting & great posts -- reacting to user requests)

Again with 'rules' - these rules are here to maintain levels of welcome to our members. I usually stay WELL AWAY from most forums as my posts invariably get spat at and ridiculed by faceless coward warriors sitting safely in their (single bed) bedroom in their underpants. Not a pleasant experience and one we avoid here... Why we have the rules. Period. Keep it friendly. Keep it nice.

Nor can these forums be converted to another format -- believe me I have had programmers from around the world trying to think of a way to do it but the answer is simple

Scrap this Yabb forum and start from scratch

or

Live with it. (I'll underline that the boards grew organically mainly by request and the boards cannot be merged or converted in any way)

... & I would love to convert to something else - merge - etc  ... but this is a Yabb forum .... we've gone with it & for now are stuck with it. (sorry to myself & those who agree with me ..)
Last edited by pete on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby DaveSims » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:59 pm

[quote]Well I think you are mistaken if you think we are full of self importance and anal rules ......

This forum grew organically - largely by requests and suggestions - over many years -- and the boards cannot be merged. The only choice is to dump all posts in a board if that board is scrapped. Which seems a great shame. (I reluctantly did this with the 'Cafe' when that was voted out ... b ut we lost 1000's of interesting & great posts -- reacting to user requests)

Again with 'rules' - these rules are here to maintain levels of welcome to our members. I usually stay WELL AWAY from most forums as my posts invariably get spat at and ridiculed by faceless coward warriors sitting safely in their (single bed) bedroom in their underpants. Not a pleasant experience and one we avoid here... Why we have the rules. Period. Keep it friendly. Keep it nice.

Nor can these forums be converted to another format -- believe me I have had programmers from around the world trying to think of a way to do it but the answer is simple

Scrap this Yabb forum and start from scratch

or

Live with it. (I'll underline that the boards grew organically mainly by request and the boards cannot be merged or converted in any way)

... & I would love to convert to something else - merge - etc
DaveSims
Major
Major

Return to Suggestions for these forums