Unedited raw screenshots

Have you any suggestions for additional forums or improvements?

Unedited raw screenshots

Postby olderndirt » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:39 pm

Looking over this month's (July) entries in the 'show me what you've got' screenshot contest, I'm struck by the quality of these 'unedited in any way' entries.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/oldrt18.jpg
olderndirt
Major
Major

Re: Unedited raw screenshots

Postby Mitch. » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:18 am

Any particular shots that you think may be edited?
Mitch.
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ozzy72 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:07 am

I've had a look and nothing is obvious to me.
We have had a few cases of editing but these have all been removed in the past, otherwise it'll come down to who has the most powerful PC and best software...
Last edited by ozzy72 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby olderndirt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:42 am

Perhaps I don't understand the rules.
olderndirt
Major
Major

Postby BrandonF » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:42 pm

It's obvious most of the shots are unedited, but some I see, I have to say, there is no way that someone can have their sim lookinh that well without some payware add-on or edit. I also find that it's find of unfair for those people that can't afford a fancy, powerful computer, and can't run there settings as high and such. Letting people edit might help those that can't get a fancy computer. That's just me. ;) I'm arguing with myself on this subject right now. I can't make up my mind! :D
BrandonF
Major
Major

Postby B-Valvs » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:04 pm

Well, you have yet to point out specitifc shots that are of concern. That might help your point.

Also, if you think that a computer gives an unfair advantage, what do you expect to do. You suggest editing, but if you want that, the weekly JC contests typically allow that. I don't see any reason to change the rules of the "main" screenshot contest here. SimV is about freeware, quality addons. So, if you see high quality freeware shots in the contest, wouldn't that simply mean we have met our goal as a site?

8-)
Last edited by B-Valvs on Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B-Valvs
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby BrandonF » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:14 pm

Well, you have yet to point out specitifc shots that are of concern. That might help your point.

Also, if you think that a computer gives an unfair advantage, what do you expect to do. You suggest editing, but if you want that, the weekly JC contests typically allow that. I don't see any reason to change the rules of the "main" screenshot contest here. SimV is about freeware, quality addons. So, if you see high quality freeware shots in the contest, wouldn't that simply mean we have met our goal as a site?

8-)

You've caused my internal argument with myself to become even worse.  ;D
BrandonF
Major
Major

Postby B-Valvs » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:19 pm

I have just looked through every entry, and I simply don't see the issue you describe. Other than shots labeled "non-entry" and 1 other post that has already been found to contain payware, everything looks fair to me.

8-)
B-Valvs
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby olderndirt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:52 pm

Nor am I going to.
olderndirt
Major
Major

Postby Mitch. » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:38 pm

Remember, anybody, no matter what system they have can take a great shot.

You only need 1FPS to take a fantastic screenshot. ;)
Last edited by Mitch. on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch.
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby B-Valvs » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:19 pm

Remember, anybody, no matter what system they have can take a great shot.

You only need 1FPS to take a fantastic screenshot. ;)

Probably the best point made in this thread, and one that most people (including me) didn't even think of.  ;)

8-)
B-Valvs
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby aussiewannabe » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:02 pm

Little as I know about screenshots, I'll still venture that most of these perfectly arranged, lighted and colored submissions are several steps beyond what showed up when they first hit 'v'.

While I understand what you're saying, let me reassure you my screenshot is not edited. Depending on the amount of darkness outside this particular S-3 Viking, the cockpit view has a red glow/hue which makes parts of the co-pilot's helment red in color.

As to how radiant that red glow is I cannot tell you as I have cataracts and don't see colors like I should with better vision.
HP Media Center Photosmart m7260n | 3.0GHz Intel Pentium D 830 | 2 GB RAM | 320 GB HD | Sapphire X1950 GT 512MB | Silencer 610 Watt PSU

[center][img]
http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/aussie_sig1.jpg
aussiewannabe
Major
Major

Postby machineman9 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:29 pm

I think if there are ever edits, they're usually very obvious.

Part of the contest is staying within the rules, but trying to find ways to 'get around them'. No editing is allowed, so in order to get multi-angles you need to use several screens or load up several views within the flight simulator. To get decent lighting you need to change the bloom settings so that they're as they should be. For night vision you need to get another download. For the moon and clouds there's a download for that.

I think the competition is quite fair. Even if editing was allowed, it would be biased to the people with the best talents and the best software... That's kind of how it is already! If you need to spruce up your shot, then get downloading addons!

Part of the fun of the contest is replicating the results of editing, but managing to do that with the power of the simulator alone.
Last edited by machineman9 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
machineman9
Major
Major

Return to Suggestions for these forums