New Image Size Limit

Have you any suggestions for additional forums or improvements?

Re: New Image Size Limit

Postby SeanTK » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:48 pm

Also be aware that as a general rule, areas with shades of red or yellow (yellow you can sometimes get away with if it makes up most of the shot) don't usually cooperate well with compression. I would love to be proven wrong on that though!
Last edited by SeanTK on Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeanTK

Postby Hagar » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:49 pm

[quote]Also be aware that as a general rule, areas with shades of red or yellow don't usually cooperate well with compression. I would love to be proven wrong on that though!

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby CD. » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:20 pm

Ratio isn't an issue here, the file size is. I was a mod when Pete raised the file size from 100kb to 150kb and the image size to 1024w from 800w. The general consensus then was this was a good move. Times change, I'm sure most people have faster connections now, the main reason for capping size and ratios was for members on dial-up, I'd be interested if any of us are still on that now. Maybe a poll is needed?
CD.

Postby specter177 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:23 pm

Ratio isn't an issue here, the file size is. I was a mod when Pete raised the file size from 100kb to 150kb and the image size to 1024w from 800w. The general consensus then was this was a good move. Times change, I'm sure most people have faster connections now, the main reason for capping size and ratios was for members on dial-up, I'd be interested if any of us are still on that now. Maybe a poll is needed?

Poll idea is good.
ImageImage
specter177
Major
Major

Postby ShaneG_old » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:15 am

The poll idea is a great one, and may provide some push, but it REALLY needs to be somewhere that will get some traffic and be seen, without being in a spot where another mod might move it.

We had that widescreen/regular screen poll a while back, when image width came up, and it was no contest. Maybe a dozen people out of 100 had a regular non-wide screen monitor.

I bet the same will hold true for connection speed.

I really like Machineman9's point about the thread limit, and how to utilize that limit with your shots, (one 600k shot vs. 4 150k shots).  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
ShaneG_old
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby LeeC » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:57 am

[quote]Also be aware that as a general rule, areas with shades of red or yellow (yellow you can sometimes get away with if it makes up most of the shot) don't usually cooperate well with compression. I would love to be proven wrong on that though!
Last edited by LeeC on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeeC
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby LeeC » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:02 am

The poll idea is a great one, and may provide some push, but it REALLY needs to be somewhere that will get some traffic and be seen, without being in a spot where another mod might move it.

We had that widescreen/regular screen poll a while back, when image width came up, and it was no contest. Maybe a dozen people out of 100 had a regular non-wide screen monitor.

I bet the same will hold true for connection speed.

If you analyse the server logs, you should be able to see how many users (if any) are not hitting the download limits on the free site. If everyone is hitting the 30Kb/s limit, then they should be okay with most images of decent sizes. Anyone who has paid for Premium acces is probably downloading much faster, as that is the major benefit of membership.
Last edited by LeeC on Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeeC
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby beaky » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:24 pm

it is hard but you can still get some very crisp shots with a 150kb
Please give me a short tutorial - I know you're correct - the evidence is here, unfortunately not under my user name
Last edited by beaky on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagar » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:53 am

A very good point... I see a lot of complaining in these forums about how "compression killed the shot", then I look at the image "weight" and see that the poster took their 400KB masterpiece and saved it at less than 50K or something like that.

I couldn't agree more. It's a case of people blaming the rules when the fault lies with their lack of knowledge on working with images.

[quote]I also aim for about 100, and with the GIMP, it's easy...before you "save as" at the new file size, you can adjust the quality percentage and see the resulting weight before you save. This allows you to maximize the quality but keep it within forum limits.

I'm sure other commonly-used editing programs have similar features... worth remembering when the size limit is eventually increased, yet people still whine about how "compression killed it".
Last edited by Hagar on Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:40 am

PS. I was thinking of doing a tute showing how to resize/save images with some of the popular free software & posting it at my Lair. Then I wondered how many people it's aimed at would actually bother to read it. :-/

..Instruction Manuals....Aircraft Owners Manuals...Aircraft Manuals, Pilots Manuals, etc, etc...?...

..it makes you wonder?... ::)...!

Paul...an avid Manual Reader... :-*...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ShaneG_old » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:40 am

PS. I was thinking of doing a tute showing how to resize/save images with some of the popular free software & posting it at my Lair. Then I wondered how many people it's aimed at would actually bother to read it. :-/

If you make that tutorial, I'll make it a sticky it in the Freeware section.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
ShaneG_old
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Steve M » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:40 am

If you make that tutorial, I'll make it a sticky it in the Freeware section.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:03 am

If you make that tutorial, I'll make it a sticky it in the Freeware section.
Last edited by Hagar on Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ShaneG_old » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:12 am

I'd say the big three to start with are

-Infranview
-Gimp
-Paint.net

And probably in that order of importance.
ShaneG_old
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Steve M » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:13 am

Personally, I use Irfanview.. I wouldn't know what the majority use though.  :)
Steve M
Major
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions for these forums