Advanced user section?

Have you any suggestions for additional forums or improvements?

Advanced user section?

Postby snippyfsxer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:11 am

May I humbly suggest an additional section dedicated to answering questions for more advanced users?

FSX and FS9 are very complex, obviously, and the amount of realism is directly proportional to what the user is willing to put into them.
Last edited by snippyfsxer on Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
snippyfsxer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Advanced user section?

Postby pete » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:43 am

I can see your point ....

If there was enough interest we could probably do this ...
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JBaymore » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:30 pm

The biggest issue for this idea (which is pretty darn good in cioncept) is getting our users to actually post things in the correct places.
Last edited by JBaymore on Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fozzer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:35 pm

[quote]The biggest issue for this idea (which is pretty darn good in cioncept) is getting our users to actually post things in the correct places.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby SeanTK » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:17 pm

Maybe if the sections were titled:

"New to FS? Post here." & "Advanced User Inquiries/ Advanced Theory Discussions."

Obviously there is still the risk mentioned previously in regard to distinctions between questions, but I believe that if the sections were titled in a certain way, it would at least reduce the risk of a multitude of "newbie questions" appearing in an area for advanced users.   :)
Last edited by SeanTK on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeanTK

Postby B-Valvs » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:42 pm

I don't think this would catch on for a few reasons:

People would be confused as to where to post and would frequently post in the "wrong" spot.

New members wanting to have their questions answered faster and by an "expert" will just post in the "wrong" section anyway.

I don't know. It may depend on how this is set up, but I'm not sure if it will work.

8-)
B-Valvs
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Steve M » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:31 pm

I read the FSX forum every day. It is very simple thing to spot the difference between complex querries and new simmers querries. One of the ways I learned when I was new was to be surrounded by posts that were way over my head at the time. The teacher always needs to have more knowledge than the student, so to speak.
Making beginners go "to the back of the bus" will not help them learn.
Granted though.. many new simmers will walk away from simming because it is a rough road to happiness. I certainly am gratefull to all the Sim V folks that answered my newbe questions.  ;)    
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby beaky » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:29 am

It's bad enough for us mods as it is, finding posts in the oddest places... a lot of posters here simply do not understand or care where they start threads, or they post them where they think they will get the desired attention.
Creating a second section for queries, I presume for each type of simulator program (!!), would simply create another query section, that would soon become just like the first.

Every third thread would have to be moved... and that's just the obvious ones! There are a million possible topics or questions that could be considered either advanced, or basic, depending on one's POV. Who is going to determine that for every thread? That's going way beyond "hm, this is a link to a video in the CFS3 forum" or "this is spam"... there would be controversy about mod rulings, and lots and lots of bickering. I find the silly questions annoying too, but flame wars are even more of a nuisance.

More helpful for everyone, and a lot less work for the mods, would possibly be more stickys.
That might reduce the number of "Total n00bish question; sorry" queries (about stuff that's been covered a million times in earlier threads), so that the sim-specific forums will be more useful for figuring out new or difficult problems.

I've considered this, but soon realized that if there were a sticky for every "how do I change views" or "what do the flaps do" question, there'd be 5 or 6 pages of them.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fozzer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:56 am

......^^^^^^^.....

...what he said...10/10.... ;)...!

Paul....G-BPLF...and a pile of Aircraft Owners Manuals.... :-*...!
Last edited by Fozzer on Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby olderndirt » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:37 pm

In a perfect world, we'd all be perfect, 'Simviation' would be perfect and life would be perfectly boring.
Last edited by olderndirt on Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/oldrt18.jpg
olderndirt
Major
Major

Postby snippyfsxer » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:14 pm

Ok, so why don't you just update the FAQ.
Last edited by snippyfsxer on Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snippyfsxer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Felix/FFDS » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:42 pm

[quote]Ok, so why don't you just update the FAQ.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Suggestions for these forums