Photo Contest

Have you any suggestions for additional forums or improvements?

Photo Contest

Postby B-Valvs » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:39 pm

We have so many screenshot contests here, but no photos contests. Don't you think we should at least have a photos of the month contest. There could be categories: Aviation and Non Aviation.

8-)
B-Valvs
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Photo Contest

Postby JakesF14 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:56 am

I second that!  :-) Great Idea!   :D
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby pete » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:41 am

It's probably best to suggest this in the photo forum. As you know some boards run their own contests and this would probably be the same ...

I am amazed at the photos and how popular they are ..... I would also guess that judgement is very difficult in this subject .. so many variables, etc ... Just my opinion.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby machineman9 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:25 am

I think this would be a good idea and I don't see why someone couldn't start it.

I think the only issue is that not everyone is always able to get the right shot at the right time (a common issue!). It should try to be themes that most people will be able to achieve. It's easy to fire up FSX or FS2004 and get to the set area, but it's not always easy for people to get down to an airport and shoot general aviation. I know there's the common autumn leaves and other scenery photos but sometimes they can get a bit boring.

So it would be good, but I don't think the demand will be as high as it is with the screenshot contest just simply because the tools and targets required can be a pain to find.

I'd happily be a judge though!
Last edited by machineman9 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby B-Valvs » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:45 pm

I think this would be a good idea and I don't see why someone couldn't start it.

I think the only issue is that not everyone is always able to get the right shot at the right time (a common issue!). It should try to be themes that most people will be able to achieve. It's easy to fire up FSX or FS2004 and get to the set area, but it's not always easy for people to get down to an airport and shoot general aviation. I know there's the common autumn leaves and other scenery photos but sometimes they can get a bit boring.

So it would be good, but I don't think the demand will be as high as it is with the screenshot contest just simply because the tools and targets required can be a pain to find.

I'd happily be a judge though!

I don't mean themed contests. Those would need to be way to general for the reasons you said. I am suggesting something similar to what we have with the screenies of the month nominations.

8-)
B-Valvs
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ShaneG_old » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:58 pm

Your biggest challenge would be getting enough support in that section to keep it going.

People will have to nominate or it won't work.  We tried to start one in the cage, and only 3 nominations were made in a month.

So the members who regularly post in there would have to be the ones who support it and nominate, just like we do with screenshots. :)

Sounds like a cool idea though. 8-)
ShaneG_old
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby B-Valvs » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:17 pm

I think the issue with The Cage was that there was more than just screenshots in that section. It's a general discussion on other games. Where the cameras section is 99% pictures, and maybe 1% other. A lot of people regularly visit it, and once they get used to or remember that there is a contest, I think it could work.

8-)
B-Valvs
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby SeanTK » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:22 pm

I think it would be worth a shot at least once to see what type of reception it receives. I'm certainly interested in something like this.
SeanTK

Postby JakesF14 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:25 am

[quote]Your biggest challenge would be getting enough support in that section to keep it going.

People will have to nominate or it won't work.
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:43 am

The point is, how do the photographers themselves feel about this? There's another thread on this subject posted in the Photos forum. http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1252611955

Not many of the regular posters have commented so far but I would have to agree with Steve (61_OTU). As one of the old hands I post photos that I want to share with my friends on the forum, not for their technical or artistic merit. I have no wish to take part in a competition. That would put me off posting anything.
Last edited by Hagar on Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ShaneG » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:17 am

As one of the old hands I post photos that I want to share with my friends on the forum, not for their technical or artistic merit. I have no wish to take part in a competition. That would put me off posting anything.

So are you saying that if some of the members here started a 'best photo of the month' competition, you would stop posting just because of that?
ShaneG
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:20 am

As one of the old hands I post photos that I want to share with my friends on the forum, not for their technical or artistic merit. I have no wish to take part in a competition. That would put me off posting anything.

So are you saying that if some of the members here started a 'best photo of the month' competition, you would stop posting just because of that?

Depends on how the competition is run. If entry is optional that's fair enough. If it's based on the Screenshot of the Month comp any shot can be nominated whether the author is aware of it or not. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Just saying what I think. Not everyone is interested in competitions. My opinion is not worth much as I rarely post photos here now anyway. ;)
Last edited by Hagar on Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby B-Valvs » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:26 pm

Depends on how the competition is run. If entry is optional that's fair enough. If it's based on the Screenshot of the Month comp any shot can be nominated whether the author is aware of it or not. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Just saying what I think. Not everyone is interested in competitions. My opinion is not worth much as I rarely post photos here now anyway. ;)

Basically, everytime you post a picture, if someone likes it enough, they can nominate it for the contest (like here: http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaB ... 1251975079). Then three judges will decide a top ten and then regular members will vote in a poll. In other words, every picture is automatically entered.

If you don't want them to be entered, just let the judges know, and any nominated shots of yours will not be accepted. But just keep in mind, it's only for fun. The shots don't get used for anything. You just get recognized and it is put inot a gallery like this: http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaB ... 1231872495

By the way, as of now, this is all hypothetical.

8-)
Last edited by B-Valvs on Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B-Valvs
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:50 pm

Basically, everytime you post a picture, if someone likes it enough, they can nominate it for the contest (like here: http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaB ... 1251975079). Then three judges will decide a top ten and then regular members will vote in a poll. In other words, every picture is automatically entered.

If you don't want them to be entered, just let the judges know, and any nominated shots of yours will not be accepted. But just keep in mind, it's only for fun. The shots don't get used for anything. You just get recognized and it is put inot a gallery like this: http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaB ... 1231872495

By the way, as of now, this is all hypothetical.

8-)

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket. Just putting what I think is a valid point of view. There is a basic difference between the Photos forum & other sections of the Graphics Gallery.

The way I see it, most people posting screenshots are either looking for recognition as a screenshot artist or asking for advice on how to improve their shots. The common link is MSFS.

A lot of the regular posters in the Photos forum are more interested in showing photos of general interest, rather like a snapshot album. The quality of their photos doesn't matter as much as the subject. I have always done my best to encourage these members to post their photos.

There are some very talented photographers among them & they would win a competition hands down every time. The others wouldn't stand a chance which I think would be very discouraging & deter them from posting. I could be completely wrong but I don't think too many people would be interested in your idea.
Last edited by Hagar on Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby B-Valvs » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:42 pm

The problem you describe is one of the reasons why I am not suggesting a themed contest.

We have this contest in the freeware, payware, and edited sections right now, and I don't see anyone discouraged about posting. People still post for fun and to learn more about screenshots. Most shots that are posted are most likely not posted with the intent of being nominated. If your shot is nominated, then that is just some extra recognition. If you don't get a nomination, that doesn't mean you stink and to stop trying. If anything, I would think it would encourage people to try to learn more about the subject and get more involved, not the opposite. It should not be in your face or constantly on your mind as you post. It should just be for fun.

8-)
Last edited by B-Valvs on Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B-Valvs
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Next

Return to Suggestions for these forums