"Effects" topic in the "Design Forum?"

Have you any suggestions for additional forums or improvements?

"Effects" topic in the "Design Forum?"

Postby Boikat » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:36 am

I think a good addition to the Design" section for effects would be good  I like tinkering with effects, but I have some questions, like "what part of the "effect" file designates what quarter of the effects .bmp image it uses, for example.

I think a dedicated topic would also be a great place to bounce around ideas for different effects and also solve the occasional "effect" problems (like lights showing up as white squares) and how to solve those little problems.

Just a thought.  ;)
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Major
Major

Re: "Effects" topic in the "Design Forum?"

Postby JoBee » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:21 am

Boikat,

Not to derail the thread, do you have the effects SDK?

If not you can DL it here - http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... _setup.exe

It can answer most of your questions.

regards,
Joe
Don't argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
JoBee
Captain
Captain

Postby Boikat » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:48 am

Boikat,

Not to derail the thread, do you have the effects SDK?

If not you can DL it here - http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... _setup.exe

It can answer most of your questions.

regards,
Joe

Yes I have the SDK, posting a link to an ".exe" is not kosher (even if it's directly from M$), and as I said in my post, it would also be an "idea" board, and a place, much like the other topics already in the "Design" boards, to solve problems.
Boikat
Major
Major

Postby pete » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:21 pm

My attitude would be that 'effect's comes under aircraft design ..... I just can't see that it would merit it's own forum ....

But the whole area is indeed very interesting and very often overlooked. It has huge potential and offers users many more options within FSX that most users do not realise at all.

(I should read that SDK!! :) Thanks for the link Joe.)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JoBee » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:13 am

Pete, your welcome.

Boikat, technically what I did was link to a download of a .exe. You still have the choice to DL it, or save it. At least that's how it works for me with Firefox.

regards,
Joe
Don't argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
JoBee
Captain
Captain

Postby Boikat » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:04 am

Pete, your welcome.

Boikat, technically what I did was link to a download of a .exe. You still have the choice to DL it, or save it. At least that's how it works for me with Firefox.

regards,
Joe

As I said, I already have the SDK (for both FS9 and FSX).  They provide little help unless you are interested in placing forest fires all over the countryside, or via swapology, other effects (replace the forest fire with some other effect). The only variable aspect that the SDK covers is if you want your forest fire (or other effect) to start and end on any particular time and day.

Also, the "help" is of no help, apparently because I'm using Vista.

The particular question I have (at the moment) is about how the section of the bmp that is used by the effect is designated in the effect file.  The SDK does not answer that question. Maybe if the "Help" worked in Vista, that question would be answered.
Boikat
Major
Major

Postby JoBee » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:47 am

Straight out of the Special Effects SDK for FS2004
uv1=0.00, 0.50
     The location of the lower-left corner of the texture on the texture page (X, Y) expressed as percentages. The lower-left corner of this texture starts at the left side of the page and 50 percent up its side.
uv2=0.50, 1.00      The location of the upper-right corner of the texture lies on the texture page (X, Y) expressed as percentages. The upper-right corner of this texture is 50 percent to the right and at the very top of the page. See the diagram below.

Took me 30 seconds to find it.
Last edited by JoBee on Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoBee
Captain
Captain

Postby Boikat » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:55 am

Straight out of the Special Effects SDK for FS2004
uv1=0.00, 0.50
     The location of the lower-left corner of the texture on the texture page (X, Y) expressed as percentages. The lower-left corner of this texture starts at the left side of the page and 50 percent up its side.
uv2=0.50, 1.00      The location of the upper-right corner of the texture lies on the texture page (X, Y) expressed as percentages. The upper-right corner of this texture is 50 percent to the right and at the very top of the page. See the diagram below.

Took me 30 seconds to find it.

Thanks.
Last edited by Boikat on Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boikat
Major
Major

Return to Suggestions for these forums