Email notification subject....

Have you any suggestions for additional forums or improvements?

Email notification subject....

Postby Naja002 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:30 pm

Hi,

A minor issue. Every time I receive an email "Topic reply notification" the Subject is always a generic: "Topic reply".

Here's a screenshot:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f347/ ... hot007.jpg

It doesn't tell me which topic was replied to, how many are from the same topic, etc. I have to open each and every one in order to see what it is referenced to....I received ~10 notifications from 1 topic--I had to check each one to see that it had already been delt with. Now in order to "clean up" that email folder--I again have to check each one to determine whether I want to delete it or save it. I like to keep one notification from each topic for future reference.

I've been messageboarding a long time. The majority (by far) arrive with the specific post title in the subject line. Here's a screenshot from another folder:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f347/ ... hot008.jpg

I can roll through that and clean up the duplicates in short order without much hassle at all--and still keep my one reply for reference. In the future, I can scan that list and locate a particular thread very quickly and again without much trouble at all.

Is anybody willing to look into this and try to make the email notifications a bit more user-friendly....?

Either way, Thanx for a Great Site!
Last edited by Naja002 on Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helicopter-based sim setup--PC Specs: i7 920 @ 4.1 // DFI Lanparty Jr X58 // G.Skill Pi 1600 6x 2GB // ATI XFX 5870 Asus Bios // WD 640 AALS OS // Seagate 7200.11 500GB // XFX 850w Black Edition // Chilled WC Cpu & NB (vid card later) // Open/Bench to
Naja002
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Email notification subject....

Postby pete » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:54 am

I'll take a look at that ... it may be a yabb thing or maybe it can be modified ..

Sorry for delay - been v busy in the engine room lately. Covered in oil & sweat  ;D
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Naja002 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:07 pm

Hi Pete,

Thank You for looking into it. Great site and I keep coming back, but the email thing puts a damper on my ability to follow/keep up with threads.

I don't know, but I would guess that there's just a setting or maybe a piece of script that will send the post title/subject along with the notification. If Ya need any help with it--just let me know--I can probably find out.

Again: Thanx!
Helicopter-based sim setup--PC Specs: i7 920 @ 4.1 // DFI Lanparty Jr X58 // G.Skill Pi 1600 6x 2GB // ATI XFX 5870 Asus Bios // WD 640 AALS OS // Seagate 7200.11 500GB // XFX 850w Black Edition // Chilled WC Cpu & NB (vid card later) // Open/Bench to
Naja002
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby pete » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:31 pm

Well .... I couldn't see anything other than email notification on or off.

My experience in the Yabb forums has not been a good one - with little help in real terms. If you get a dumb answer - there is an attitude of not wanting to step on toes so that's it - your answer can be a useless one. ...  ::)

I may put my wet suit on later & dive in there for another try ....  :)

I'm fully sympathetic with your complaint!  8-)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Naja002 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:08 am

Hi Pete,

Thank You agin for Your efforts. I took the liberty of checking the Yabb forums, but I didn't find anything. So, I decided to register and put up a post. Here's the response:

[glow=yellow,2,300]This is the present way this is done .... maybe in Y3 it will change [/glow]

Here's the link:
http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1206229184

At the moment, it doesn't look like there's a preset method. I don't know enough about it all to jump in there and see if I can "create" a solution. So, it seems that maybe we are stuck with the way it it for now......
Naja002
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Suggestions for these forums