A suggestion for the monthly contest....

Have you any suggestions for additional forums or improvements?

A suggestion for the monthly contest....

Postby spitfire boy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:25 pm

Currently there seems to be a problem in that running the period where entries are valid for a month then results in a judging period that pushes back the starting date for the next comp into mid-next month. I reckon that it might be feasible to run the entry period for two weeks of a month, then the judging should make up the remainder. Since it doesn't take very long (certainly less than a week) between the entry window closing and the final poll going up, and the poll runs roughly a week or less, then there is time afterwards for people to comment on the final decision, as normal.... but this would leave scope for the next comp to be started on the first of the next month. I feel this would work because often not many new shots are entered in the latter half of the current comp; therefore curtailing the entry window to two weeks would not adversely affect the number of entries.

In summary, I am proposing shortening the entry window for a monthly competition to two or maybe three weeks, and then the remaining time in the month would be made up of judging, polling and announcing the winner etc etc. Thus, in a competition starting on January the first, for example, the first two or three weeks of january would be for entries, and the remaining time between the entry window closing and the first of the next month would be taken up with polling etc. The next comp could therefore start on the first of the next month.

;)

[center]
spitfire boy
Major
Major

Re: A suggestion for the monthly contest....

Postby machineman9 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:31 pm

Yeh I agree. Have the monthly contests take up their respective month instead of intruding on the next.

Maybe run the contest for up to 3/4 of the month to leave time for selection and voting.

I just love entering the contest (despite alot of my shots not being quite up to scratch  ;) ) and the gap between the first entries of each 'month' contest can last a lifetime.
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby simonmd » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:44 pm

Couldn't agree more, EXCELLENT suggestion!

I too am frustrated by the fact that SimV runs a monthly contest and expects it to fit into 35-40 days!! We end up with only 9 or 10 a year doing it that way.

Look at this month (ok, ok, I know Christmas/New Year, etc. but it's the same most months). The contest ended on the 13th Jan and winner announced soon after. Now we're halfway through this month and still on December's contest!

I've never understood why it was neccessary to leave pics up for so long. Three weeks is MORE than enough time for everyone to get an entry in, leaving 7-10 days for the judging, voting, etc.
This months's screenshot contest entry> http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1197692798
simonmd
Major
Major

Postby MWISimmer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:11 pm

You lot would have one a week if you had your own way... ;D

Fly2e puts in a lot of work behind the scenes to get these comps up and running...it involves a hell of a lot of time (and YaBB code) and I think he does well to keep it to a monthly competition, when he says under construction he means it.

Also remember there are prizes involved as well, ALL payware and ALL donated by the developers. These are hard to come by and the said developers don't HAVE to give their work away, much less so if it were more regular.

Think yourselves lucky you have a comp with prizes at all...
MWISimmer

Postby spitfire boy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:26 pm

[quote]You lot would have one a week if you had your own way... ;D

Fly2e puts in a lot of work behind the scenes to get these comps up and running...it involves a hell of a lot of time (and YaBB code) and I think he does well to keep it to a monthly competition, when he says under construction he means it.

Also remember there are prizes involved as well, ALL payware and ALL donated by the developers. These are hard to come by and the said developers don't HAVE to give their work away, much less so if it were more regular.

Think yourselves lucky you have a comp with prizes at all...

[center]
spitfire boy
Major
Major

Postby MWISimmer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:48 pm

Wasn't trying to make Dave's job harder.... wondering why you thought I was actually.... :-?

I wasn't thinking that at all, my point is that Dave takes a lot of time behind the scenes constructing these comps which you don't see on the main forum.. It's not just a case of starting a new thread..

Dave has a day job too you know  ;)
MWISimmer

Postby Fly2e » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:36 pm

[size=14][color=black][font=arial]Thanks Rob and others.
This is what it comes down to.

We volunteer our time here. My regular life is very, very busy. One of the things I like about "working" here at SimV is that I am not held to any responsibilities... it is the only place I can come to where I do not need to answer to anybody.

The monthly contest, for me, is something that I have been doing for over 3 years now. As Rob said, it does require getting a prize from a payware company, posting the announcements, etc...
The "template" is in the basement and I work off that to adjust for each month.

I too get a bit frustrated when I know the next contest is not up & running on the first of each month, but I do my best and feel comfortable as like I said.. I deal with deadlines all week long and the contest is not something to add to it. I really enjoy doing it and it has been working fine.

[quote]Posted by: simonmd Posted on: Yesterday at 6:44pm
Couldn't agree more, EXCELLENT suggestion!
I too am frustrated by the fact that SimV runs a monthly contest and expects it to fit into 35-40 days!! We end up with only 9 or 10 a year doing it that way.
Look at this month (ok, ok, I know Christmas/New Year, etc. but it's the same most months). The contest ended on the 13th Jan and winner announced soon after. Now we're halfway through this month and still on December's contest!
I've never understood why it was necessary to leave pics up for so long. Three weeks is MORE than enough time for everyone to get an entry in, leaving 7-10 days for the judging, voting, etc.
Last edited by Fly2e on Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
COMING SOON!
Fly2e
Colonel
Colonel

Postby spitfire boy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:04 pm

I would cut out the next theme being chosen by the winner.... one; it's then a bit like a scaled-up jc competition, two; what happens if the winner doesn't get the theme to you?

I would suggest instead that the theme for each new comp is decided straight after the one preceding it kicks off, so it is ready for when the next contest thread has to be put together - if this is possible.

The rest sounds really great.

P.S. I wasn't demanding a more consistent contest - I'd given this some thought before posting it and could see no reason why it'd put more pressure on Dave, thus no reason why it couldn't theoretically be a good idea. What I was suggesting wasn't intended to be 'rules', more 'guidelines'. I seem to have upset some people (have I?) by suggesting this; was not intentional. Sorry.

[center]
spitfire boy
Major
Major

Postby MWISimmer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:17 pm

I would cut out the next theme being chosen by the winner.... one; it's then a bit like a scaled-up jc competition, two; what happens if the winner doesn't get the theme to you?

I would suggest instead that the theme for each new comp is decided straight after the one preceding it kicks off, so it is ready for when the next contest thread has to be put together - if this is possible.

Good idea regarding the winner choosing the next topic, sometimes the winner can't be around..

As for the second comment re the next contest being decided as soon as the preceding one begins, I disagree. I think it's better to announce it at the start of the new comp, it creates a level playing field for everybody.

I seem to have upset some people (have I?)

No you haven't, comments and suggestions are what this forum is all about
MWISimmer

Postby spitfire boy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:35 pm

Good idea regarding the winner choosing the next topic, sometimes the winner can't be around..

As for the second comment re the next contest being decided as soon as the preceding one begins, I disagree. I think it's better to announce it at the start of the new comp, it creates a level playing field for everybody.

What I meant was that Dave decides the theme at that point - it is announced at the same time, but decided earlier. This I feel could help speed things up and alleviate pressure. Unless this is already standard practice?
Last edited by spitfire boy on Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[center]
spitfire boy
Major
Major

Postby Fly2e » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:38 pm

Ok, let's keep the theme up to us that way it is a surprise for everybody.
I also just realized it eliminates the member from maybe giving advanced info to "friends" about what the next theme might be.

We will roll this next comp off as scheduled and adjust times & dates so that the next one will start on the first of the month. Probably the 1st of March. This way it will give us a chance to "catch up" to the new schedule.

Dave
COMING SOON!
Fly2e
Colonel
Colonel

Postby spitfire boy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:43 pm

Cool - and as ever Dave, thanks for running these comps in the first place!! :D

[center]
spitfire boy
Major
Major

Postby simonmd » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:00 pm

You lot would have one a week if you had your own way... ;D

Probably....... ;)

Now onto the suggestion of shortening the entry dates.
I think it is a good idea as this way we could move each comp along faster.
You see, getting the prize is the hardest part and I usually come through best for each when under pressure. I contacted somebody yesterday and recieved an email with the prize! So now what we do is hash out in the basement what the theme is.. (that is what is going on at this very moment. Once that is figured out, I edit the template and move it from the basement to the forum and now we have a contest!

OK, what do we suggest for a time-line?
* I suggest a 2 week screenshot entry time-line.
* A day or 2 for the judges to nominate their shots for the contest.
* Then a 4 day voting time line for the finalists to be voted on.
* Then once the winner is announced, it can stay there for everybody to say "Congrats"!
* During this last week or so of the month It will give us the time to get the next contest ready.

Also how about this. We let the winner of the previous competition pick the "theme" for the next comp?

This also might help things move along quicker!

Feedback?

Dave

Sorry Dave if you thought I was having a 'rant' but isn't what you've just suggested almost exactly what I said? It's certainly what I ment and aggree totaly. Sure, two weeks for the pics then, if it gives the people behind the scenes more time to work round other commitments, that's great.

Also, having a fixed start date would stop all the 'when, why, what?' questions. Be it monthly, bi-monthly or even quarterly, we'd all know.
This months's screenshot contest entry> http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1197692798
simonmd
Major
Major

Postby Stubbedtoe18 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:14 pm

Let me start off by saying thanks Fly2e for managing everything that goes on within the competition.
Last edited by Stubbedtoe18 on Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stubbedtoe18
Captain
Captain

Return to Suggestions for these forums