More "Stickys"

Have you any suggestions for additional forums or improvements?

More "Stickys"

Postby Groundbound1 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:51 pm

Since most folks (newer members especially) don't go back to the very early posts to see what's there before asking a question, why not delete those posts that are a year or two old, after sorting through them and saving threads that contain very useful tips and tweaks (like those offered up by Nickn and such) and make stickys out of them?

This would do two things.

1) It would make it easier to find USEFUL answers to many questions simmers have.

And

2) It would help save space on the server, while at the same time, reduce clutter.

It seems that the majority of questions being asked have been answered before, but due to the limit on results you can get from a forum search (15, I think) it forces many to ask again.
Just an idea.
Last edited by Groundbound1 on Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Groundbound1
Major
Major

Re: More "Stickys"

Postby ozzy72 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:58 pm

That is more or less what Pete does ;)
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby pete » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:45 pm

That is more or less what Pete does ;)

.... I don't think so - the mods are much better at  noticing the key threads than me  :-?...... I think it's what we TRY to do with the FAQ's  .... but naturally many are missed.  ;)

If we stickied all the stuff judged to be important you'd have to go to page 5 before seeing any new post in some forums ..  :)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MWISimmer » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:59 pm

The search function is there for a reason...
Maybe a sticky pointing new (and old) members to this may be a good idea.
MWISimmer

Postby Groundbound1 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:28 pm

The search function is there for a reason...
Maybe a sticky pointing new (and old) members to this may be a good idea.

I understand, but like I said, the search only goes back to the 15 previous posts with relavent material. Is there a way to show more search results maybe?

[quote]

If we stickied all the stuff judged to be important you'd have to go to page 5 before seeing any new post in some forums ..
Last edited by Groundbound1 on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Groundbound1
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:39 pm

I understand, but like I said, the search only goes back to the 15 previous posts with relavent material. Is there a way to show more search results maybe?

I'll admit this can be a nuisance but it's a lot quicker than the unlimited option on the old forum. I can usually find what I want by adding extra keywords to narrow down the search criteria. I use the same methods for conventional search engines like Google.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby MWISimmer » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:01 pm

A search is only as good as the searcher .... (Is that good English?) As Doug said, keywords are the key... pun intended.. if you can't find what you require, add another word.

Take searching for "Graphics drivers" as an example, it will bring up loads of posts, however ATi XXXX or Nvidia XXXX graphics drivers should give you the result you're looking for.
MWISimmer

Postby Groundbound1 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:40 pm

I'm with ya.
Groundbound1
Major
Major

Postby beaky » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:19 am

Another big help with the posts-displayed  limit is to start off with one post per thread, then search again within that thread if you see something promising.

Adding more stickys could cause quite a bit of clutter, so I heartily endorse taking a few minutes to do a search, but there are definitely a few FAQs that are way too F, if you know what I mean... in the "Flight Simulator Series" forums especially...  ::)
We could use a few more, perhaps.
But I've noticed that the silliest, most oft-repeated questions seem to come from users who will probably not think top even look for a sticky: they'll just post "help!" and blurt out their request.

Sort of like I did the first few times I posted here... ::)
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Groundbound1 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:40 pm

Guilty :-[
Groundbound1
Major
Major

Return to Suggestions for these forums