Forum Clutter

Have you any suggestions for additional forums or improvements?

Forum Clutter

Postby H » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:51 am

Higher authority told me "...this should be in 'suggestions'." A suggestion for suggestions I think I'd best not ignore. :P

There has been mention of the many topic forums on the site. A suggestion, which won't really reduce the overall numbers, somewhat the other, but would make browsing relevance more efficient:
Many of the topic forums are relative to more than one other topic forum. For example, Aircraft Wanted is applicable to the individual FS/CFS forums. If the individual FS/CFS topic forums were revamped to sub-forum these, although it would add in each of the FS/CFS topic forums, the opening forums page would be much less cluttered and a bit simpler to figure out where to go for specific questions/answers for the particular subject one's looking for. This is also true for many of the non-FS topics.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Forum Clutter

Postby eno » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:30 pm

You've managed to confuddle me  :-/ :-/........... In simple language ..... what are you proposing?
[align=center][img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/imaginsigeno.jpg[/img][/align]
eno
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby H » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:16 pm

This is the basic setup we have -- it's just that, as newer game formats arrived, a number of topics took on the new load rather than being relegated -- as a topic sub-forum -- to the older game format under which they started and having a new one provided under the newer game format. There are times someone has asked about an item in Aircraft, Scenery, etc. without stating which format it was for (CFS1, 2, 3; FS98, 2k, 2k2, etc.). If the individual format forums (CFS, CFS2, etc.) were each sub-forumed with the Scenery, Aircraft. etc., one could find the forum for the specific format without spinning out of control all over the, presently, convoluted front page (which would be less cluttered once some of these were moved into other sections). Although we may not alleviate the course of those who cannot read, many of the new arrivals to the site would find the section they're looking for much faster with a bit less explaining once they get there (well, unlike me right now).
:P

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:33 pm

There are times someone has asked about an item in Aircraft, Scenery, etc. without stating which format it was for (CFS1, 2, 3; FS98, 2k, 2k2, etc.).

I think the main reason for that is when topics are moved from a specific FS/CFS forum to Aircraft or Other Addons Wanted without any comment. I've been a member of this forum since Day 1 & now have problems finding my way round it due to the sheer number of different categories. Some of these get very little use & I doubt they would be missed.

I think what you're suggesting would lead to even more clutter when in my view it could do with thinning out a bit.
Last edited by Hagar on Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:11 pm

I've had to resize for px limits but here is a sectional px of my current front page screen:

More can be provided in less space:

One would click on the white (or other coloring, if wished) buttons. I still would put Add-on and Aircraft Wanted sections per respective format. Even without that done, however...

P.S. I abbreviated Combat Flight Simulator for the buttons but that may be unnecessary.

8-)
Last edited by H on Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Felix/FFDS » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:20 pm

What clutter?   :)

I generally collapse all the boards, and look at each as per the "new posts"  indicator.

Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby H » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:52 am

You're quite well acquainted with their contents, Felix, but they would still have to be opened up to see exactly what's there. A newcomber would still have to search.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:24 am

A newcomber would still have to search.

Newcomber. Is that something like a beachcomber? :P

A very apt description. :D

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby MWISimmer » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:37 pm

I've already brought this up in a previous thread, trimming down the forums.
CFS should have a single forum as should any FS pre FS2004.

And the Graphic gallery is far too big.

Just my 2p's worth.
MWISimmer

Postby H » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:00 pm

Newcomber. Is that something like a beachcomber? :P
A very apt description. :D

;)

Although I thought I was typing newcomer, I was reminded of Newcomb (someone's surname) -- haven't seen him since basic training -- intelligent but he frequently seemed to be either having or causing problems.

8-)
Last edited by H on Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby B-JR Night Hawk. » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:59 pm

There's a nice way to everything. 8-)
FlamingBlue Studio is on the roll.
B-JR Night Hawk.
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Suggestions for these forums