Could it be time...?

Have you any suggestions for additional forums or improvements?

Could it be time...?

Postby born_2_fly » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:20 pm

Evening all  :)

Just pondering (as you do) about the idea that here at SimV we are still limited to the 500kb per post and 800 x 600 screenies, now, with so many people on broadband, do you think it is time to do away with this old convention?

I understand that there are a few people remaining on these forums still on dial-up, but surely the sheer majority are on highspeed broadband, or at least DSL/ADSL.

Maybe as a courtesy people could put something along the lines of (56K WARNING) in the first few lines of the post, so that people on dial-up will know it will be a large post.

Is this not a case of a Minority holding up the Majority?

All the best,
Alex
born_2_fly

Re: Could it be time...?

Postby Mictheslik » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:55 pm

the 800 px rule has to stay to prevent scrollbars....and I still think a thread should have a limit, maybe 1Mb rather than 500k....the 100k rule has to stay aswell to save bandwidth....

.mic
[center]Image
Mictheslik
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby RichieB16 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:00 pm

One thing to remember is what kind of load would larger threads have on the forum and servers though.  Our personal broadband connection might have no problem with it...but would it slow the forum down a lot on the server end...only Pete would know that.

Now, assuming that it would not...I agree that 1MB threads (rather than the current 500kb) would be nice.  However, if anything was to change I would like to see the individual image size upped.  What I mean is, keep 800x600 (to prevent scroll bars) but allow...say 150kb images instead of 100kb.  This may not seem like much, but when I want to post photos I have taken at airshows or on trips or something, I find many of my photos are in the 115-125kb range when resized to 800x600...I end up posting images that are 600x450 to get under the 100kb rule.  Although it isn't that big of a deal (and I don't post photos that often anyway) it would be nice to post pictures as large as possible (so, 800x600).

However, the last thing I want to do is slow the forum down.  So, if that would happen...things should stay as they are (since it still works well as it is).

:)
Last edited by RichieB16 on Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichieB16
Major
Major

Postby Felix/FFDS » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:39 pm

On the other hand, although it takes a little work, create a thumbnail image, linking to a higher resolution image that will open in a new window/tab.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Sir_Crashalot » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:50 pm

Please don't make the images bigger. I already have to scroll to the right a little bit to see the righthand side of the images......

Crash ;) (having a 15" screen $uck$)
Sir_Crashalot

Postby born_2_fly » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:02 pm

Ok, maybe not do away with the 800 x 600 rule (unless ofcourse there is an option Pete can disable to stop scrollbars like in the old forums?  :-?)

I forgot to mention about bandwidth in my first post, I know this is a problem, but surely it can't be too much of an issue if the weight is let up to 150kb per shot?

Or maybe, we could simply have a 'per thread' limit, so a poster could have as many, or as little shots in that post as they want. I think this would give a lot more scope for areas such as Edited screenshots and the studio?  ::)

All the best,
Alex
born_2_fly

Postby eno » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:10 pm

There is a per thread limit ........ 500kb.

The one thing about these forums is that the overall quality of the screen shots is the best I've seen, edited or not.

Why?...... because of the limits.
[align=center][img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/imaginsigeno.jpg[/img][/align]
eno
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fly2e » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:51 pm

Posted by: eno Posted on: Today at 5:10pm

The one thing about these forums is that the overall quality of the screen shots is the best I've seen, edited or not.

Good point Andy!
That is the part I hate about posting shots,
trying to widdle it down to 5 out of like 50 to post.
Will require some thought, thus, why your comment makes allot of sense  ;)
COMING SOON!
Fly2e
Colonel
Colonel

Postby born_2_fly » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:07 pm

Ha ha alright caught out  :P

What I meant to say was no single shot limit, simply a per-thread limit. So if someone does an awesome composite, they could upload that shot alone, whether it be 100k or 700k.  :)
born_2_fly

Postby Ashar » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:31 pm

Yeah well, high res is nothing...The uploader does not let you upload one single file if it is over 100KB...I find that rather worrisome...If I post just one high res shot weighing in at 345KB, it is still well under the limit of 500KB per thread...I think the Upload thing should be changed to allow one single file upload of at least 300KB or so...And besides, if we post over than 500KB, the mods would get rid of the shots won't they? :-? :-?
Blabbing Away at SimV Since June 8, 2004
Ashar
Major
Major

Postby Sir_Crashalot » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:36 pm

And besides, if we post over than 500KB, the mods would get rid of the shots won't they? :-? :-?

I have to agree with Eno. There are many great screenshots to be seen here that are well within the current limits. I think it is also a challenge to make the best you can within those limits. Making the limits bigger doesn't mean that the shots will get better.

And Ashar, don't you think the mods already have enough to do?

Crash ;)
Sir_Crashalot

Postby Felix/FFDS » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:37 pm

Yeah well, high res is nothing...The uploader does not let you upload one single file if it is over 100KB...I find that rather worrisome...If I post just one high res shot weighing in at 345KB, it is still well under the limit of 500KB per thread...I think the Upload thing should be changed to allow one single file upload of at least 300KB or so...And besides, if we post over than 500KB, the mods would get rid of the shots won't they? :-? :-?

Mods are lazy -it's more probable that we'd just delete the post straight out ....
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Suggestions for these forums