Trimming down the forums..

Have you any suggestions for additional forums or improvements?

Trimming down the forums..

Postby MWISimmer » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:47 pm

I know most people want more forums, how's about merging a few of the others?

The Combat flight simulator forums could surely be merged into one? From the looks of it they don't get that many posts and could easily be dealt with as one.

And the Flight simulator series.. Are stand alone FS98 and FS2000 forums really necessary? How's about a "retro/vintage" FS forum, dealing with everything from FS2000 downwards?

Just a thought..
Last edited by MWISimmer on Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MWISimmer

Re: Trimming down the forums..

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:40 pm

Why not get rid of the "Featured Downloads" forums? They're a waste of time if ever there was one. Also, the payware forums can go, as this is a site that supports freeware. Payware and Freeware screenshots do not need their own forums.
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby born_2_fly » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:42 pm

Why not get rid of the "Featured Downloads" forums? They're a waste of time if ever there was one. Also, the payware forums can go, as this is a site that supports freeware. Payware and Freeware screenshots do not need their own forums.

As has been said before, Freeware and Payware screenshot forums save a lot of explaining.
If it's in the payware forum, people know it contains payware, however little, and so when people ask WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR CLOUDS FROM, they aren't expecting an answer for a freeware product.  ::)

The payware forum is good, it gets used, and without it I wouldn't have really ever gone into the realm of payware. Now I have I don't regret it one bit, there are DEFIANTLY some things that cannot be provided through freeware. And I found as well, you don't have to be well off at all, payware is relatively cheap compared to a night out  ;D
born_2_fly

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:23 pm

As has been said before, Freeware and Payware screenshot forums save a lot of explaining.
If it's in the payware forum, people know it contains payware, however little, and so when people ask WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR CLOUDS FROM, they aren't expecting an answer for a freeware product.

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby C » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:24 pm

Why not get rid of the "Featured Downloads" forums? They're a waste of time if ever there was one.

21 Threads containing 32 posts in total in all three in 1 to 2 months... :-? Possibly a fair point.

Also, the payware forums can go, as this is a site that supports freeware.

People will always want to know answers to payware questions and is there any point sending them away (rejecting customers!) from here because we don't want to answer their questions as a matter of principle? No. So keep it.

Payware and Freeware screenshots do not need their own forums.

I'm sure this has been discussed many times, and I think we've concluded they are needed... ;D

My own thoughts:

Designer Feedback - not much activity in there anymore as freeware projects become rarer. Could more easily be incorporated into the appropriate sim (FSX/FS9/CFSx) forum or screenshots perhaps?

FS2000 - A thread from 2005 is still on page one, and only 6 posts in 2007... (unless someone's been cleaning in there) :)

Tweaking and Overclocking - incorporate into Hardware?

Specific Aircraft Types - this used to be a brilliant forum section, but sadly has mostly deteriorated into a "what's your favourite" thread haven. Tough one though, would you incorporate it with Real Aviation or Flight School - merging with the latter may encourage more contructive posts rather than polls etc, without having an effect on Flight School's very useful format.

Your Sites/Other Sites - do they need to be separate?
Last edited by C on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby born_2_fly » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:09 am

Would it be possible to have sub-forums, to clear up the look of the forums a bit?  ::)
born_2_fly

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:38 am

I'm sure this has been discussed many times, and I think we've concluded they are needed... ;D

The only conclusion that was made was that certain members in high ranking positions wanted the forum so it stayed regardless of what others though.

Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JBaymore » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:08 am

Hum........ I don't see the "critical damage" that the various forum sections have by existing.
Last edited by JBaymore on Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageIntel i7 960 quad 3.2G LGA 1366, Asus P6X58D Premium, 750W Corsair, 6 gig 1600 DDR3, Spinpoint 1TB 720
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Craig. » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:08 am

The only conclusion that was made was that certain members in high ranking positions wanted the forum so it stayed regardless of what others though.

You know you and I have always gone the same line of thought on this one. ;)
Last edited by Craig. on Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby C » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:27 pm

Hum........ I don't see the "critical damage" that the various forum sections have by existing.  It is along the lines of "if you don't want to look at it........ don't."

But I may have to claim for RSI of my mouse scrolling finger... ;) :D
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chiptas » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:30 am

Doesn
Last edited by chiptas on Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
chiptas
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Nick N » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:25 pm

Tweaking and Overclocking - incorporate into Hardware?

That works

There is no reason for them to be 2 different areas. Hardware incorporates everything from selection, installation, maintenance, tweaking and overclocking.

The only way having 2 would be of benefit is if hardware was broken into different categories that matched the criteria of the question. It does not make sense and I for one don
Nick N
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Wing Nut » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:41 pm

The Featured Downloads section was never meant to be the most active section of the forums.  It was meant to be a place where old freeware titles that have been lost through time could be brought back into the spotlight and given a new lease on life.  You will not see every nice plane that has ever been made, just items that have been transforming to the FS experience.  The idea is that over time, enough will be accrued that browsing the section will give people a good index to build from and to give those exceptional developers credit for a job well done.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1440377488.jpg[/img]
Wing Nut
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Suggestions for these forums