Suggestion for image upload page

Have you any suggestions for additional forums or improvements?

Suggestion for image upload page

Postby Nitro » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:08 pm

Is it possible that the page that say "Your images are uploaded successfully" to display the full URL of the image?

An example:
If I upload an image with the name myimage.jpg, the page would say something like "You can find your image at http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/myimage.jpg "

When you want to insert the image in your post you can just copy the URL and add image tags and it's done. It works a lot faster and you will have less typo's.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and, whatever you hit, call it the target.

There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you
Nitro
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Suggestion for image upload page

Postby eno » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:36 am

Simpler suggestion .......  cut and paste the following into a notepad and then just add your image name.

http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/
[align=center][img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/imaginsigeno.jpg[/img][/align]
eno
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby pete » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:57 am

It kind of does already - this is the page you get ...Image
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Craig. » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:50 am

I think he wants "yourpic.jpg" replaced with the exact file name of the picture uploaded to save the red X box with incorrect filenames. Is that even possible?
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:00 am

Probably but it would require up to 8 different urls being displayed. Easier as it is methinks.
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Felix/FFDS » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:37 am

My opinion is that it would take too much of a rewrite of the yaBB code to get it done.

It would be a useful addition (many times I've wished for it) but in the end, .......

Hmmm - perhaps more useful would be to hunt down the script section that puts the [ img]URL[ /img] tags and replace it with [ img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/[ /img]
Last edited by Felix/FFDS on Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby pete » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:51 am

Hmmm - perhaps more useful would be to hunt down the script section that puts the [ img]URL[ /img] tags and replace it with [ img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/[ /img]  ?

Good idea - though even customising with the Yabb  is scary enough - not to mention going into the scripts ..

FFDS would be a good testbed for this.  :)

(reminds me Felix - you should back that one up. Nothing like a killed forum to ruin breakfast ...)
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Felix/FFDS » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:37 pm

[quote]

Good idea - though even customising with the Yabb
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Fly2e » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:59 pm

let me see if I can find it and let you know privately.

Lost it again Felix?  ;)
COMING SOON!
Fly2e
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Souichiro » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:03 pm

Or alternatively...When you have entered one complete filename with the link and proper filename and image tags hit preview post if it works then copy the name and only change the number You'll have to make serious though like

Ivanrussianstuff1
Ivanrussianstuff2
etc

etc
Souichiro
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Felix/FFDS » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:20 pm

[quote]
Lost it again Felix?
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Nitro » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:04 pm

Copying and pasting is something I already do. I never have problems when I post an image but it's just to make life a little easier  :)

An image upload system like this site uses isn't very complicated or difficult (at least it doesn't need to be :) ). I think that If you send me the file yabbupload.cgi that I can get it to work.

Probably but it would require up to 8 different URLs being displayed. Easier as it is methinks.

If it's done right displaying 1000 URLs can be done in 3 lines of code

Hmmm - perhaps more useful would be to hunt down the script section that puts the [ img]URL[ /img] tags and replace it with [ img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/[ /img]  ?

I think that's more difficult

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and, whatever you hit, call it the target.

Nitro
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby pete » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:47 pm

The image upload isn't part of the yabb forum - but a perl script I added & running separately -

To get the upload  to display the URL would require hacking the scripts - & they are far from obvious.

I wish it was a case of changing a line of code ... :)  I regularly customise perl scripts but this is not customising - it is hacking (aka modifying) - going into the script itself- & possibly more than one as yabb uses a handful of scripts to run.

The bright side is that the new yabb has a file attachment (same thing) built in. (dark side is that our forums have so far failed to convert even with the help of the yabb team). We will probably have to delete all messages over a year of 2. to make it possible ....  8)
Last edited by pete on Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Nitro » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:53 pm

I am not talking about changing the YaBB scripts. Just some changes to the image upload script and the upload successful page.

Nitro
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Felix/FFDS » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:22 pm

I am not talking about changing the YaBB scripts. Just some changes to the image upload script and the upload successful page.

The problem is that what you're suggesting actually is a major (re)programming task.  You're asking the script to recognize the files uploaded by name, and then create the URLs for them directly for you to copy/paste into your post.

Finding out where in the script the tag "[ IMG]URL[ /IMG]" is and changing that URL to the simviation uploads URL is probably easier, and in the end, "reminds" someone who may want to link to an outside image that it shouldn't be done.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Suggestions for these forums