Am I Doing Something Wrong Or Is Downloading Disabled?

Experiencing a problem using Simviation? Please ask questions or report problems you have here.

Re: Am I Doing Something Wrong Or Is Downloading Disabled?

Postby logjam » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:38 am

So there you go Honduras, do what Hagar and Bass do and put your trust in Google, Firefox and Simviation and you can't go wrong.
logjam
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:53 am

You know, I think all this advice leads to one conclusion. Try the other browsers and see what works for you and your computer setup. None of the browsers are perfect with every setup. Like Hagar said (and I put a lot of faith in his knowledge and experience) he'd never use IE but he does like Google. Me, I'm just the opposite but I dislike Google for reasons other than downloading capability. So try another browser and let us know what worked for you, OK?

Hawkeye

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:08 pm

I'm just saying what works for me. It's not that I trust Firefox or Google. More that I don't trust Microsoft or their software. Firefox suits me. I don't like the UI on Chrome. I would prefer not to use Windows at all.

Going back to the original question.
Honduras2811 wrote:I've been trying for a couple of weeks to download some Vintage GA packages, with no luck. After I click the file I want to download I get taken to another page with a Download button. I press the button and eventually get a response that it was unable to connect to Simviation. I can press 'Try Again' for hours with the same result.

My system Is Win XP Pro SP3 on an AMD multicore motherboard. My browser is Firefox 26. I'm not having this problem with other web sites.

Does this affect all files from Simviation or just certain ones? If it's the latter perhaps you could give some examples with more information, like file names etc. so I can try downloading them.

I'm currently using Firefox 27 on my WinXP machine. As I said earlier, I've never had problems downloading files from Simviation & I download a lot of files to check them out for other people. It wouldn't hurt to try another browser but I don't think that is the cause of your problem. It could perhaps be your firewall or other security settings for example.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:50 pm

Hagar,
For what it's worth I just tried to download the WB-57F in the FSX Vintage Section. It downloaded fine, no problems with data or speed.

Using Win7 and FireFox 27.01.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:12 pm

Thanks for confirming that Hawkeye. Thanks also for the vote of confidence. 8)
I tend to keep out of technical problems these days as there are people far more qualified than me to deal with them.

I've had a quick look through the FSX Vintage section myself & successfully downloaded several files. I notice that the majority of files in this section are military types & Honduras specifcally mentioned Vintage GA packages. It would help to know which files he's having problem with.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:57 pm

Hagar,
you've helped me out a time or two in the past and I've read a lot of your other posts as well. You've been very helpful to a lot of flt simmers.

Honduras hasn't come back since his second post yesterday. Obviously more info is needed from him to solve this.

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Bass » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:40 am

>>>It could perhaps be your firewall or other security settings for example.<<<

I think you are right here, Hagar.
"Just try to be YOU"!............ Kurt 

System. GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-950QC, Corsair XMS3 18GB 2000, GTX 780 tf 3GB, Corsair CMPSU-850, 24 BenQ 120, TM Hotas cougar, win7 pro.
Bass
Major
Major

Postby eclemente » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:05 pm

I have had this issue as well. Its been a few weeks and i still can download any files. I click and the new windows open (as it has in the past) and when i click "download" it just sits there, searching. Never goes to the "save" interface. i have tried updating java and clearing out caches, and still nothing. I did all the things mentioned in this thread. I have not changed any settings on any programs. If anyone else has any other ideas feel free to fire them off.
eclemente
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby pete » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:54 pm

Sorry to hear another problem:

So ..

1. You have tried Firefox - Google Chrome - and Internet Explorer?
2. You have tried disabling your firewall and downloading a file?
3. You have tried disabling your anti virus and downloading a file?

>>>> (always enable firewall and anitvirus after this)

4. You have run malwarebytes?
5. You regularly reboot your windows machine (at least every day)?

What Windows version are you using?
Have you tried with another PC in your house?

Experiment with some options with a right click on the file 'download now' window?

Also take a look at this

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/can ... save-files
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby eclemente » Fri May 30, 2014 1:56 pm

Has anyone made any progress on this? I have not had any luck getting it to work. I think it is some kind of flash/java issue. I am having issues watching video's on some sites and some sites just don't load properly. lets figure this out guys.
eclemente
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Steve M » Fri May 30, 2014 2:54 pm

eclemente wrote:Has anyone made any progress on this? I have not had any luck getting it to work. I think it is some kind of flash/java issue. I am having issues watching video's on some sites and some sites just don't load properly. lets figure this out guys.

I have issues with uncompatible pages because I run XP pro and can not update IE. I have also had issues where chrome plugins needed repair. And issues where Java script went afoul. You may be pointing in the right direction by looking for Java problems or corrupted plugins in the various browsers. As I understand, running registry cleaners or antivirus may fix the problem, but they can't repair plugins. Just a thought..Also make sure you have Firefox or whatever browser set as default browser.
Last edited by Steve M on Fri May 30, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby logjam » Fri May 30, 2014 3:15 pm

I use a free version of "Internet Download manager." Recently though, it has refused to work with the latest version of Firefox. I have to use IE to get it to work, but it works fine with it.
logjam
Major
Major

Postby logjam » Fri May 30, 2014 3:15 pm

I use a free version of "Internet Download manager." Recently though, it has refused to work with the latest version of Firefox. I have to use IE to get it to work, but it works fine with it.
logjam
Major
Major

Postby Steve M » Fri May 30, 2014 3:41 pm

Finally, what I'm getting at I think is..IE may be picking up some of your searches unless you make firefox a default browser. A screengrab below, not entirely on topic but does explain how intrusive IE can be.

Steve M
Major
Major

Postby Tug002 » Fri May 30, 2014 5:44 pm

I would do like Bass said "Run Malwarebytes full scan. (Delete what it finds)" I did this on my computer and couldn't believe what it found. :shock: Runs like a charm now. :D

Keep smiling
Tug :)
Tug002
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Site Problems & Broken Links