Nocked off  HELP

Experiencing a problem using Simviation? Please ask questions or report problems you have here.

Nocked off  HELP

Postby Cptned » Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:57 am

???
       Can someone help me

I cant view Simvition . com as soon as I get to the site I get knocked off the internet , this just started a few days ago and  I'm using a friends PC to post this ( it only happens to this site)

Can someone HELP   please

Thank You
 Capt.
Cptned
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Nocked off

Postby ozzy72 » Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:56 am

Can you please specify which OS ISP and browser you are using.

Thanks
Ozzy
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Cptned » Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:55 am

Thank You

I'm using Charter Pipeline ISP and Explorer the newest update
Cptned
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby pete » Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:08 am

HI , what exactly happens?

You could try your browser security settings ... but ... if this is the only site this is happens then something is wrong.... obviously

Could you tell us exactly what happens - your browser closes? Your ISP looses connection?

Any specific info would be appreciated.

thx
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FSTipster » Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:20 pm

I hate to say this but I have the same problem.

Until I saw Cptned's message, I'd assumed that it was my ISP as it started without me having changed any settings or downloaded anything.

I've had this problem for over a week now, during which time it's become apparant that it only seems to happen when I'm using this site (which I do a lot).

The disconnection occurs when clicking on a link. It doesn't always happen, but generally, after 5 or 6 clicks, the browser (latest version of I.E 6 in my case) will get the hourglass icon when over the icons
Last edited by FSTipster on Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click the banner to visit the site
FSTipster
Major
Major

Postby pete » Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:28 pm

I'm sorry I have no idea!
It's easily possible we are again the victim of an attack of some sort.
2 individual uploaders have complained about being thrown off & I know that complaints are only the tip of the iceberg of user problems - most don't bother.

All I can do is continue to monitor server activity.

The 1st question is this: What makes an ISP disconnect?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FSTipster » Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:08 pm

The 1st question is this: What makes an ISP disconnect?

Looking at the way my firewall is reporting it, (sometimes useful for this kind of problem), it's a generic failure of the server to maintain the connection with the ISP.

It' a bit tricky to identify the source of the disconnection with ordinary software as it's happening before it reaches my P.C. although the subsequent disconnection from my P.C. apears to be caused by the "pipeline" being blocked by the connection attempt.

I've got a program that might provide more information though. I'll get it installed and see if it gives me anything more useful.

There is one other posiibility here - some kind of browser incompatibility. Mine's as up to date as Microsoft will allow it to get, and Cptned reported that his browser is also bang uptodate.

The fact that, by implication from his post, he didn't have the problem when posting his message on a friend's P.C. suggests that possibly his friend has a different or earlier version of the browser.

I'll find out more about the disconnection sequence first, if I can, and report back.
Last edited by FSTipster on Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FSTipster
Major
Major

Postby FSTipster » Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:02 pm

Sadly, I haven't been able to discover much. The problem is that the stuff that would normally feed back to my program can't get through. As soon as whatever link is pressed that results in a disconnection, the internet traffic stops dead and a further 20 to 30 seconds later, the ISP disconnect occurs as a result.

I'm sending you a private message Pete with a possible solution. See what you think when you get it.
FSTipster
Major
Major

Update - found the problem

Postby FSTipster » Sat May 10, 2003 2:18 am

For me at least, but I suspect others will be suffering from the same problem.

Having spent over 2 weeks trying to find the source of this problem, I finally bit the bullet and formatted and re-installed.

I run a dual boot system with Win98SE and XP Pro.

Having fully re-installed 98, I went on to doing XP. Having got all the drivers in, I went through getting all the Windows Updates. For my machine, there are 14 critical, 43 non-critical, and 2 driver updates.

I got as far as having done all the critical, 41 of the non-critical, and both drivers when it started happening again. The driver updates are for the processor driver and my sound chip.

I started uninstalling the updates - till I got so far back I knew it wasn't one of them. I finally narrowed it down to one of the driver updates.

I've just spent the last 24 hours doing it all over again as uninstalling some of those updates makes a right mess of the others.

I've installed every update bar the drivers and the connection is now fine.

It's 99% certain it's a conflict between the sound driver and one of the windows updates. It would take me about a month to pin it down for definite, but there are several clues knocking around.

When you process windows 98 updates, there's one in there that cures a problem with I.E. sounds and specifically refers to the fact that when a navigation button with a sound is clicked, it freezes. This is almost exactly what is happening in XP with the updated sound driver. This is despite the fact that the new driver is WHQL certified (they should tighten that up ::)). No equivalent fix for XP though..

The bottom line is that if you're experiencing this connection freeze when you press a button on the site, go get a different sound card driver. I'm using the original from my CD which is about 6 months old and my connection is once again rock solid.
FSTipster
Major
Major

Return to Site Problems & Broken Links