Aerofly FS - first impression continued

The Cage...What's YOUR Game? Non MS FS/CFS games screenshots - editing allowed!

Aerofly FS - first impression continued

Postby ManuelL » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:21 am

Ok, so I got to play around with it a little more since yesterday. Did not try any of the missions yet. So far my first impression is as follows:

What I like:
- Setting up the controls is very easy and quick
- The graphics and lighting are mostly spectacular
- The "feel" of it is great
- the option to visualize wind field, thermals and land mark names is great
- Frame rates are excellent (could select almost max settings and get 30-60 fps)
- the ridge lift, thermals and wind gusts give a great mountain flying experience, even with the small motor planes (when there is a bit of wind, you are really thrown around, no running like on rails as in FSX)

Neutral:
- Autogen only around the airports (if you want to fly very low it can look odd, but it helps improving the frame rates)
- There are some "bumps" in the terrain mesh which give a great 3D look from higher up, but can look a bit strange when flying very (and I mean veeeery) low.

What is missing:
It gives a bit of everything but nothing to perfection.
- For it to be a great general GA sim, it would need to have more sophisticated engine and avionics simulation. It also has none of the following: flight planner, ATC, option to set time of day/night, severe weather (rain ice).
- For it to be a great glider simulation, the lift model would need to be more sophisticated (no lee waves so far, thermals are not connected to cumulus clouds).
- For it to be a great aerobatics sim it would need some smoke effects and the possibility to record flights (flight paths) for evaluation.
- A button to capture screenshots is missing (had to download a program for that).

Who is it for:
- For people who want to get a first impression of flight simming, I think this is just great. The feel and looks are excellent and at the same time it is not too complicated.
- For experienced simmers it is great for a quick flight in the evening or to blow off some steam. You can just start it up and have a nice experience without giving flight planning too much thought.
- If you are looking for a system or procedures sim, this is not the program.

Is it worth the prize (40
Last edited by ManuelL on Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ManuelL
Captain
Captain

Re: Aerofly FS - first impression continued

Postby pete » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:41 am

Thanks. Nice review!

1. What area does it cover?

2. Any shots of major airports?

3. AI?

4. Addons possible?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Aerofly FS - first impression continued

Postby ManuelL » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:50 am

Thanks. Nice review!

1. What area does it cover?

2. Any shots of major airports?

3. AI?

4. Addons possible?

1. It covers mainly Switzerland. Some surrounding areas are covered in lower detail.

2. Focus seem to be small airfields. Large airports are only modelled as ground textures with runway and cannot be selected for take off.

Here is a map of the covered area. Blue airfields are modelled and can be used for take off. White airfields/airports cannot be selected for take off and are probably only ground textures:

https://www.simviation.com/phpupload/upl ... 686648.jpg

Here is an example of Geneva Airport:
https://www.simviation.com/phpupload/upl ... 651258.jpg

3. As far as I could see, there is no AI traffic.

4. According to the web page the sim is open for future addons by the developer or 3rd parties.
ManuelL
Captain
Captain

Return to The Cage