FSX long exposure screenshot - yay or nay?

A workshop designed to help everyone improve their screenshot skills, featuring Simworld, the Screenart Gallery, tutorials, contests and much more!

FSX long exposure screenshot - yay or nay?

Postby ManuelL » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:05 am

Hi all,

I was wondering if something like a long exposure light trail photo of an airport could be done with FSX. So I put up my camera in front of the monitor, darkened the room and gave it a try.

Here is my first result (after some optimizations in photoshop).

What do you think?

I came across some problems taking the shot. First of all the aircraft lights of my traffic addon are not very bright. Maybe I can get better results if I try recording an aircraft with bright lights using fsrecorder. Secondly at long exposures you start to see the pixels of the monitor quite clearly (ugly grid across the picture). Finaly I still have some reflections of the camera in the middle of the picture (and I already used a polarization filter).

I might give it another try using an additional ND filter and recording some take offs with aircraft with brighter lights.

Any ideas or opinions are welcome  :)
Thanks for looking
Manuel
ManuelL
Captain
Captain

Re: FSX long exposure screenshot - yay or nay?

Postby B-Valvs » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:59 pm

Wow what a great idea! Nice results for the first try. Maybe someone knows of a way to do this within the computer so your issues will be solved.
B-Valvs
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby RaptorF22 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:47 am

Well, you could record a video of the landing (or whatever other flightsim activity you want) with something like fraps, export the video frames to .jpg form, and then merge the images with something like this. I'm not sure how well this would work, though; you might just get a bunch of dots instead of a trail.
RaptorF22
Major
Major

Postby ManuelL » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:18 pm

Thanks for the comments! The video thing is a good idea. I will try some other things first, but if they don't work, I may give it a try.
ManuelL
Captain
Captain

Return to Studio V Screenshot Workshop