So why is it ...

A workshop designed to help everyone improve their screenshot skills, featuring Simworld, the Screenart Gallery, tutorials, contests and much more!

Re: So why is it ...

Postby Sir_Crashalot » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:45 pm

If with 'FSX textures' you mean an add-on named Howards' Mix beware of it. It could cause more problems than you ask for. Read the read-me very well before installation.

Great add-ons:

FS9 Bible

Just some scenery

Carlo :)
Last edited by Sir_Crashalot on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir_Crashalot

Postby Sir Puma » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:50 pm

Yeah, Howards. I'm backing up all the FS9 files it wants to overwrite. I'll check out those others. thanks
"Guard well the words you use, for they can be the keys to your freedom or the manacles of your slavery." - me
Sir Puma
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby jankees » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:42 am

There's lots of thing involved in making passable screenshots, but it all starts imho with the right addons.
The right clouds, the right scenery and the right aircraft.
In your shots, I see mainly default stuff, try to avoid that.
Even if you limit yourself to freeware, there is some good stuff out there. Try here for scenery for example. I was quite happy with FS Skyworld for the clouds in the old FS9 days. Nice aircraft can be found all over.
But don't be afraid to try some payware every now and then, it usually (but not always) looks better.
Then it comes to taking the shot. Sometimes you can take shots while happily flying along, but quite often, I try to set up a certain shot. I have a picture in my mind and try to recreate that. Above all, do not be afraid to experiment, with angles, lighting, weather, time of day, etc.
One final thing: try cropping the image occasionally, by cutting off the non-interesting parts.
Take your 747 shot, I would have cut a bit of the runway, and possibly the sky too, ending up with this:

Good luck,

Jan Kees
jankees
Major
Major

Postby DowninFlames » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:43 am

When you file save as.. Crank up the pixels per square inch.
I think the default in Photofiltre is 75. I move it up to 80-85 and drop the image size to 950.

Just an idea.
DowninFlames
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby fourbee » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:03 am

I found that if you reduce your visibility to about 30 miles and have thick cloud cover it looks far more real. Or maybe it was just me. . . . . .
without clouds
with clouds and reduced vis
fourbee
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Sir Puma » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:43 pm

Hmmm, some good tips there guys. Thanks.
"Guard well the words you use, for they can be the keys to your freedom or the manacles of your slavery." - me
Sir Puma
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby olderndirt » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:38 pm

When you file save as.. Crank up the pixels per square inch.
I think the default in Photofiltre is 75. I move it up to 80-85 and drop the image size to 950.

Just an idea.
The PSE standard is 72 and they recommend increasing in multiples of that.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/oldrt18.jpg
olderndirt
Major
Major

Previous

Return to Studio V Screenshot Workshop