The Screenshot Tips thread

A workshop designed to help everyone improve their screenshot skills, featuring Simworld, the Screenart Gallery, tutorials, contests and much more!

The Screenshot Tips thread

Postby Jakemaster » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:28 pm

No, this isnt a help me post or anything, just some advice that Ive learned over the years:

1.  Use UNIQUE angles.  Dont just press numpad keys, try and get cool angles to really show off your plane.  If you notice my screenshots, my planes are usually smooth.  This is because I angle the shots to smooth out most jagged edges.   If you experiecnce some jaggies, try adjusting zoom.  Use a module like F1 View.  You can zoom in and then back the camera out to greatly improve image quality.  Also by using this same technique you can enlarge the background providing interesting shots and allowing viewers to focus on scenery
or other traffic.

In addition to F1View, I STRONGLY suggest you pick up the Recorder Module.  I havent had time to post screenshots with it, but this module is much like Walk and Follow.  You can create new spot views and either leave them fixed to one point of the aircraft (for example, you can place a spot view to be a wing view and use it as a wing view), or you can use the spot view to move around just like you can in walk and follow or active camera.  I will post some screenshots using this utility in the near future to illustrate.  You can create up to 30 spot views using this utility.  Although it may not necessarily apply to screenshots, the module also allows you to replay a flight with aircraft animations, making for some fun experiences.  I am aware that this has been posted before, but I have yet to see anyone use the Walk and Follow-like utility with it

2.  If looking for a quality shot, try taking shots at different times of day.  In the FS world, dawn and dusk provide the most spectacular colors, and with the right addons the daytime can look crisp and bright.  

Thats it from me now as I want to go play with my new speakers, but feel free to post your tips in this thread (sticky?)

Jakemaster
Jakemaster

Re: The Screenshot Tips thread

Postby Katahu » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:16 pm

I never knew that there was such a tool [the recorder]. This should be stickied. :)
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby gijake » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:18 pm

I didn't know the recorder had the andvanced view.
gijake
Major
Major

Postby Jakemaster » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:22 pm

I didn't know the recorder had the andvanced view.

It does!  It takes some getting used too, but is really a great tool.  One thing it does thats just awesome is by using the advanced spot views you can give ANY plane a wingview even if there is no wingview by default.  I will post screenshots in freeware of some of the screens I got
Jakemaster

Postby Tweek » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:40 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Jake. Off to download it now!
Tweek

Postby gijake » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:45 pm

the recorder is sooo cool.  Alothoiugh the image gets all distorted when you zome out and pan around.
gijake
Major
Major

Postby Jakemaster » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:02 pm

Here are my screenshots taken with the recorder module:

http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb/ ... 22;start=0
Jakemaster

Postby BAW0343 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:20 pm

im off soon to play with this exact feature,  i cant wait!
Image Image
BAW0343
Major
Major

Return to Studio V Screenshot Workshop