Dont worry about those pesky messages

A workshop designed to help everyone improve their screenshot skills, featuring Simworld, the Screenart Gallery, tutorials, contests and much more!

Dont worry about those pesky messages

Postby Jakemaster » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:19 pm

Weve all seen it.  An amazing screenshot RUINED by a OVERSPEED warning.  A work of art destroyed by a brake message.  A masterpiece soiled by a PAUSED notification.  A great formation shot disrupted by a MP chat window.  Well, what can you do, right?

CROP!

Cropping is the best way to get those messages to dissappear.  And I dont mean crop them out, I mean crop the screenshot to leave them out.

Heres how:

First, download Picasa.  You can use any image editing software you want, but I prefer picasa because its free, the cropping tool is awesome, and you can make some sweet edits just by playing around with colors and effects.  Its also a very, very good way to organize and view all your screenshots and pictures.

Now, open picasa and find your screenshot:

Found it!  Open the picture by double clicking, and you see this:

See the crop button?  PRESS IT!  You will now come to a window like this:

Make sure you are on Manual so you can crop however you want.  To crop, click at the top left (or top right, or bottom left, or bottom right) corner of where you want to crop, hold the mouse button, and drag until youve selected what you want.  This is why I think Picasa is best for cropping: the area that will remain after the crop is brighter than the area that will be cut away.  Also, if you make a mistake, you can readjust your crop before its too late, and even when its too late you can undo the crop or recrop the screenshot:

Click on apply, and your done!

Next, return to the library (by clicking on Return to Library), select your screenshot, and press CTRL+SHIFT+S to save the picture.  This is yet ANOTHER reason why I love picasa, you can easily save pictures to any size you want (below 1024 pixels wide).  To save more than one just select more than one picture in the library:

And viola!  You have a beautiful screenshot!

If you would like more information on using picasa to crop, edit, or save pictures and screenshots feel free to ask me here at the studio V!

Jakemaster - Studio V Advice-Giver 8) ;D
Jakemaster

Re: Dont worry about those pesky messages

Postby Katahu » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:25 pm

In addition to what Jake has described, please not that cropping is NOT allowed to be used if you wish to submit a screenshot for the monthly contests.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Harold » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:56 pm

Ehrm ... Jake ... you missed a spot ;D ;D ;D

Harold
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Mictheslik » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:14 pm

lol, i noticed that.....nobody's perfect

.Mic
[center]Image
Mictheslik
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jakemaster » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:20 pm

I did it really quickly.  But as I said, in picasa I can just reopen that picture and press recrop and fix it
Jakemaster

Return to Studio V Screenshot Workshop