Milan Malpensa Ortho Textures!

Flight Simulation Screenshots displaying your Flight Simulation Experience. MSFS, FSX, Prepar3D, XPlane and other Flight Simulators. Focus is your Flight Simulator Experience. Please upload to Simviation (Button at top right)

Milan Malpensa Ortho Textures!

Postby francsal » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:38 pm

Ok, I finally decided to install ortho4xp. I was a bit worried about performance, since my system is far from top end. However, I was surprised when my performance actually went UP after installing these photorealistic textures. I used to watch plenty of those ultra realistic videos on youtube, and never thought that I would be able to do it on my computer! I gotta say I love the results, and wanted to share some shots of the results with you guys. Hope you like them!

francsal
Captain
Captain

Re: Milan Malpensa Ortho Textures!

Postby Daube » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:12 am

Very nice result indeed :)

Concerning the performance, the ortho sceneries in XPlane are usually ok, as long as you don't push the zoom level (for the scenery, not the zoom of the view ;) ) above 17.
In XPlane, the zoom level not only defines the ground texture resolution, but also the terrain mesh resolution.
A zoom level 17 means 1,2 m/pixel for the ground textures, but I don't know what it means for the mesh.
A zoom level 16 means 2,4 m/pixel. This zoom is usually sufficient for flying with liners, and it will save a lot of space on your disks ;)

Finally, I noticed there is a lot of missing autogen on your screenshots. Are you using the XEurope 2.0 overlay ? If not, I would strongly recommend you to install it as soon as possible. 8-)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Milan Malpensa Ortho Textures!

Postby francsal » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:32 pm

Daube wrote:Very nice result indeed :)

Concerning the performance, the ortho sceneries in XPlane are usually ok, as long as you don't push the zoom level (for the scenery, not the zoom of the view ;) ) above 17.
In XPlane, the zoom level not only defines the ground texture resolution, but also the terrain mesh resolution.
A zoom level 17 means 1,2 m/pixel for the ground textures, but I don't know what it means for the mesh.
A zoom level 16 means 2,4 m/pixel. This zoom is usually sufficient for flying with liners, and it will save a lot of space on your disks ;)

Finally, I noticed there is a lot of missing autogen on your screenshots. Are you using the XEurope 2.0 overlay ? If not, I would strongly recommend you to install it as soon as possible. 8-)

Thanks for that info, good to know that! It was ZL16, and yes, I do think it saved a lot of disk space. Still huge, however!

As for the autogen it is default X-Plane, with number of world objects set to "High". When I set it to "Maximum" (even without Ortho) I feel a noticeable impact, so I have to deal with less autogen for an adequate FPS experience. I´m sure that, even tho the world objects setting performance is mainly supposed to be determined by the CPU, the fact that I am running it on a 1050Ti has a direct impact on this. I´m getting a 1660Ti and hopefully that will improve things and allow me to go to Maximum world objects. Then I guess I could give XEurope a try and enjoy it as a sim, not as a powerpoint presentation! :D :D
francsal
Captain
Captain

Return to Simulation Screenshots Showcase