Finally found Stonehenge

Flight Simulation Screenshots displaying your Flight Simulation Experience. MSFS, FSX, Prepar3D, XPlane and other Flight Simulators. Focus is your Flight Simulator Experience. Please upload to Simviation (Button at top right)

Finally found Stonehenge

Postby akoyeh » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:20 pm

Not all that easy to locate, having tries a few times over the years. Several weeks ago it was finally spotted here in FS2004:

Locating Stonehenge (in most MSFS editions since FS4, though MS apparently spaced getting it into FS8):

N51 11.13 W1 50.95 from EGDM, Boscombe Down.
Vector 302° to 303° for just over 4 nautical miles. With careful eyes you'll see it.
Not easy to find but rather rewarding when you do, shown here with medium overcast skies,
flying Rick Piper's amazing Hawker Siddeley twin Rolls-Royce Dart turbopropped HS.780 Andover C1.

Cleverness is mere opinion, bewilderment is intuition.

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Finally found Stonehenge

Postby yancovitch » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:45 am

nice.....where did you find that one?
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Postby akoyeh » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:33 am

yancovitch wrote:nice.....where did you find that one?

The aircraft? Classic British Flight Sim: https://cbfsim.co.uk/cbfs_lib/index.php?/category/45
Excellent FS plane with several goodies including kneeling. Love her, my favorite aircraft for flightsim.
Haven't had the pleasure of any Rick Piper plane that I haven't liked, fine work all. His related HS.748 is a joy too.

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Roypcox » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:27 am

You have a wicket eye to catch that shot for sure,great shot and framing!!! Roy
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby akoyeh » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:24 am

Roypcox wrote:You have a wicket eye to catch that shot for sure,great shot and framing!!!

Thanks, Roy, have been waiting to reply until finding Stonehenge again. It's still a challenge to locate in sim.
From the middle of EGDM, Boscombe Down, slew right at 302 degrees for several nautical miles. You should see it.

Here she be on the Summer Solstice:

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:20 am

Unfortunately, the surrounding scenery in the Sim is not very realistic.

The area surrounding Stonehenge is mostly akin to moorland; grass, with few trees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonehenge

It may be more realistic if the "scenery density" is reduced?

I have found, over the years, 1998+ that the Microsoft Flight Sim Programmers are mostly located in Silicon Valley, California, so the USA scenery is generally more realistic, (Particularly around California!).

Paul...a Stoneage Heathen.... ;) ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby akoyeh » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:35 am

Fozzer wrote:Unfortunately, the surrounding scenery in the Sim is not very realistic.

The area surrounding Stonehenge is mostly akin to moorland; grass, with few trees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonehenge

It may be more realistic if the "scenery density" is reduced?

Agreed, sir. Actually, my first attempt to capture the latest close-up image involved exactly what you observe and suggest landscape-wise. However, setting all autogen to just "Sparce" or less caused Stonehenge to disappear. Was forced into "Normal" autogen settings to get the closeup, and even then not very realistic as you observe... but ..fun. nonetheless.

We have our own version about 25 km from where I'm living: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... s-prepares

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby darrenvox » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:09 pm

Cool will have to find them soon
darrenvox
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby 511Flyer » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:44 am

I'm using Horizon GenX scenery for the UK. The Stonehenge model that I have is not a bad depiction, however it has not been placed correctly as these shots show.

The other picture shows Regimental badges carved into the chalk hills at Fovant which is close by. The Salisbury area has a long association with the British Army.

RAF Boscombe Down is 2 minutes flying time away in a Chinook.

Den.
511Flyer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby akoyeh » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:13 pm

Greeting Darren, good to see you. Welcome to the forums here. Hope you enjoy them and find them useful. And thank you, Den, those are some staggering screenshots. Love the detail resolution. Am remembering "Chalkhills and Children" seeing any them. Good ole' XTC.

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby 511Flyer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:58 pm

I found this old photo that my wife took many years ago as we were driving home from holiday. Not a bad effort from a car that was doing about 50mph.

Den.
511Flyer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby akoyeh » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:48 pm

Nice photo, Den, the misses did okay considering shooting from a moving vehicle.
Yours is better than ours: https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/nebrask ... nge-in-ne/

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:33 am

Stonehenge.

..."then" and now!...>>>

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-w ... e-45579279

Paul.... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby akoyeh » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:41 pm

Fozzer wrote:Stonehenge...."then" and now!...>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-w ... e-45579279

That was great, Paul, thanks a boatload for that! :-) Highly enjoyable pairs of pics there.

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:47 am

Lest we forget; "Carhenge" in Amarillo, Texas, just off Interstate 40 and Route 66...>>>

https://www.texasmonthly.com/travel/for ... lac-ranch/

Built by the Cadillac tribe centuries ago, to commemorate the tail-end of their beloved mode of wheeled transport.

....bring a paint spray can.... :D ...!

Don't be surprised by anything that you encounter in Texas.... :o ....Trust me!....!

Paul.... ;) ... ;) ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Simulation Screenshots Showcase