Staggerwing

Flight Simulation Screenshots displaying your Flight Simulation Experience. MSFS, FSX, Prepar3D, XPlane and other Flight Simulators. Focus is your Flight Simulator Experience. Please upload to Simviation (Button at top right)

Staggerwing

Postby jankees » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:37 am

jankees
Major
Major

Re: Staggerwing

Postby Flying Trucker » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:25 am

Very nice shot Jan...don't see that airplane posted too often... :clap:
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby yancovitch » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:00 pm

interesting design....i would have made the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer more curved, in harmony with the rest of the plane :D ...but...i wonder what the physics of the wing design was....and if it was so successful, why every aircraft wasn't designed that way...hmmmm......
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Postby Flacke » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:38 pm

yancovitch wrote:interesting design....i would have made the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer more curved, in harmony with the rest of the plane :D ...but...i wonder what the physics of the wing design was....and if it was so successful, why every aircraft wasn't designed that way...hmmmm......

An airline captain friend/neighbour owned a superb red Staggerwing. I got to fly co-pilot with him, I TOTALLY LOVED THAT AIRPLANE and the cabin was large and comfortable.
Yes, the vertical fin would have been stunningly beautiful if it was swept back to match the wings etc . The design used was the most efficient in terms of fin effectiveness and rudder control along with minimum/size/weight/drag.
The staggered top wing reduced the Interference drag between the upper and lower wings. That gave it some of its great speed for that era.
From a Pilots point of view, the staggered top wing allowed a clear view when turning towards an airport for landing etc. Normally that top wing blinds you just when you want to have maximum view for safety and to fine tune your landing base-to-final turn. It was a pleasure. I miss that airplane and the P-51 and Harvards/T6s that we used to fly with.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby yancovitch » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:10 am

thanks for that flacke............sounds so romantic...........i can only wish i had not been such a whimp.....got carsick often in my early years, forget about flying in a small plane, and had very limited brain power, etc etc....that's why i only can kind of live that experience through the flightsim......though..... i might be getting better in my old age....i may try to pay for a flight in a beaver here next summer, to see if that is true......i may have to tell the pilot that it could be a short flight :mrgreen: ..............
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Postby SpaceHippy1975 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:46 am

From your title I thought you were Pwissed!

Great shots though!

Keith.
Flying: MSFS 2020 & P3D v5 ~ Given up on X-Plane 11
My Rig:
Intel Core i7 - 6700K CPU @ 4.5GHz,
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Z170 Motherboard,
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING 11GB GPU,
Patriot Viper 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM,
Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ Monitor,
Bose Companion 2 Series III Speakers,
Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S & CH Rudder Pedals.
SpaceHippy1975
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Flacke » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:45 pm

yancovitch wrote:thanks for that flacke............sounds so romantic...........i can only wish i had not been such a whimp.....got carsick often in my early years, forget about flying in a small plane, and had very limited brain power, etc etc....that's why i only can kind of live that experience through the flightsim......though..... i might be getting better in my old age....i may try to pay for a flight in a beaver here next summer, to see if that is true......i may have to tell the pilot that it could be a short flight :mrgreen: ..............

Yes, those were wonderful days for me and I am so glad that I had so many friends and fellow Pilots to fly with [still do]. Some were Airline Pilots and some were Bush Pilots. Many owned an airplane so I got to fly or fly in some great airplanes even though I didn't own one myself. Every time I got close to getting my own airplane I would end up buying a Motorhome/RV for the missus and kids. [glad I did].

By the way, many many great Pilots started their flying careers with airsickness [ I had it to a small degree at first as well]. After all, the movements of an airplane in flight are very foreign to normal human beings. But most people will adapt quite quickly and before long they never get airsick at all .
If you have a Cessna Flight Center or similar near you , go there and ask for their short familiarization flight [its usually cheap]. Tell them that YOU want to fly the plane as much as possible. Then when you are in a safe area do some climbs, descents, tight turns etc etc. I have recommended this to people for many years and they always say that it was great to actually fly an airplane and feel the controls and the sounds and sights. Even though some people cannot become Pilots that flight will be a lifelong memory for them.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Simulation Screenshots Showcase