Re MT Saint Helens

Flight Simulation Screenshots displaying your Flight Simulation Experience. MSFS, FSX, Prepar3D, XPlane and other Flight Simulators. Focus is your Flight Simulator Experience. Please upload to Simviation (Button at top right)

Re MT Saint Helens

Postby Terry1964 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:30 pm

The Morning of May 18th 1980 at 8:21 My Mother Brothers and I were at PDX awaiting the arrival of my Aunt and cousin. They were arriving on a flight from Honolulu I was looking north out the concourse windows and I could see the tip of Mt St Helens poking up over the ridge line it was a bright sunshiny day with puffy white clouds you could almost reach out and touch the mountain even though it is 45 miles or more to the mt. I watch a small steam puff explode into a raging boiling mass. The sound wave and pressure wave hit almost simultaionsly. The plate glass flexed inwards I was amazed it did not shatter and the noise shook and rattled it sounded like a hundred jets taking off at the same time. We started to get a little nervous as reports started coming in about massive damage. We were concerned because our homestead was only 12 air miles from the top on the SW side. had the Mountain blown out on the south side we would have been in the blast zone. Life got a little difficult for the next year or so. Our home stead was just a mile inside the red zone we had to clear a check point every time we went to the grocery store work or school had to carry a red zone pass and were evacuated 6 to 7 times while the old lady was active.
Attachments
th1WCYWJ5B.jpg
Pic taken from our Back 40 during on of the later eruptions
th1WCYWJ5B.jpg (387.25 KiB) Viewed 477 times
Mt Saint Helens PDX.jpg
Where I was During the Eruption of Mt St Helens
Mt Saint Helens PDX.jpg (215.88 KiB) Viewed 477 times
Terry1964
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Re MT Saint Helens

Postby Fozzer » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:10 am

I remember the event very well at the time!

Vancouver (WA) and Portland (OR) could have suffered badly if it had blown out to the SW!

Its amazing just how much of the surrounding countryside was devastated by the blast!

Take a trip to Mt. Saint Helens with some of my Motorcycle Chums...>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpj800ubPV8

One of the riders lives near Toledo (WA), a few Miles from the Mountain. The other loves near Portland (OR).

A fun place to tour in the Flight Sim.

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Simulation Screenshots Showcase