Hail the Victor!

Flight Simulation Screenshots displaying your Flight Simulation Experience. MSFS, FSX, Prepar3D, XPlane and other Flight Simulators. Focus is your Flight Simulator Experience. Please upload to Simviation (Button at top right)

Re: Hail the Victor!

Postby Hagar » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:29 am

It's a strange organic-looking beast,; very interesting. And a pretty successfull design, or am I wrong?
As for its inspiration: Not surprised to hear about a German connection; the Me 163 Komet could be one of this big mama's babies: pointy nose, swept mid-fuselage wing, etc.

The resemblance goes much further than that. This was a large jet bomber with crescent wings & a T-tail which was unusual in 1950. It also has the bulbous nose & short nose-leg which was unique to the Victor & allowed access without use of a stepladder. Next time I see my friend I'll try to get more details & possibly a drawing.

No decent panel, eh? Too bad. I often DL stuff like this, then leave it alone because it's no good for anything but screenshots w/o a decent panel.

Everyone expects this as standard now. This was one of the best things about the more primitive days of FS98. IMHO
If it wasn't exactly how you wanted it you learned how to do it yourself. Creating panels was what got me started in the development side of this hobby & I haven't looked back since. Not much you can do about a DVC but you could always add extra view windows to the 2D panel. Even the default aircraft had this type of panel in FS2000 as the VC was done away with for some inexplicable reason. The DVC was re-introduced with FS2002 & improved on in FS9.

PS.
And a pretty successfull design, or am I wrong?

The Victor was the second of 3 V-Bombers, the Valiant, Victor & Vulcan. It was never as famous as the Vulcan but actually outlived it in service. After being replaced by the Vulcan as a bomber it served as a tanker until 1993. It took part in the famous Black Buck missions during the Falklands War & the Vulcan couldn't have reached its target without it. The Victor also played its part in the first Gulf War. http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/victor/history.html

The Victor was highly manoeuvrable as it was designed for stand-off bombing which involved a half-loop to release the Blue Steel bomb/missile. http://members.aol.com/nicholashl/ukspace/bsteel/bsteel.htm
I once saw this demonstrated at the Farnborough Air Show.
Last edited by Hagar on Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Hail the Victor!

Postby lemoncat » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:35 pm

great stuff edzmen i saw this mighty beast do a couple of taxi runs at elvington a few weeks back...an awesome sight as it deployed the chute..took me back to the days when airshows were airshows..magnificent :) :)
here's a snap from that very show>
Last edited by lemoncat on Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lemoncat
Major
Major

Previous

Return to Simulation Screenshots Showcase