Flower Power....

Your Aviation (or Personal) Photos and discussion on Cameras & photography.

Re: Flower Power....

Postby logjam » Wed May 27, 2015 12:47 am

The problem with having conifers in Britain has more to do with the Leyland Cypress ( Leylandii) than other conifers such as blue spruce or scottish pine. ( I have a comprehensive list of non-malignant growing trees.) The Leylandii cypress can easily attain 130 ft and is vigorous, growing at 3ft per year. The problems are many, in that their shallow root system makes them unstable whilst drawing water from topsoil and backfill from the foundations of houses. I suppose they have been the cause of many neighborhood disputes in the UK. A better choice is a privet or laurel hedge, but a less prolific conifer such as a white cedar(Thuja Occidentalis) Cedar hedging can grow up to 20’ high and 8’ wide; however with annual pruning you can control them to a minimum height of 30” tall by 2’ wide. With proper care and planting, you can expect your cedars to grow up to a foot per year, after the second year planted and your hedge will live anywhere from 30 to 60 years dependant on conditions and care. Just a thought to alay fears of evergreen hedges taking over the neighborhood.
logjam
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Wed May 27, 2015 2:45 am

Leylandii trees...!

The curse of housing estates, and the destroyer of relationships between neighbours!
If ever you see a small one growing somewhere, anywhere, creep out, in the middle of the night, and chop it down at ground level.... ;) ...!

Hawk....Another tip before moving in, or buying a house, take a compass with you, and take note of the internal rooms, and which way the house is facing!
Which room(s) to you want to collect the most Sunshine?

A living room facing South will collect the sun all day long.
Bedrooms facing South will be warmer.
Kitchens facing North will be dull all day.
Bedrooms facing North will freeze your nuts off!

A house facing East/West is a good example to collect the most sunshine in most of the rooms for most of the day!
My house faces East/West...Living room+bedrooms facing West. Kitchen+ bedrooms facing East,
Sun in the mornings and evenings...Sun overhead mid-day.

Take your trusty pocket compass with you, as you wander around the property!.... :D ...!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:19 am

Looking at the Google map Earth view the house faces South with the living room in the front. The Master Bedroom is in the back (North) and the other two bedrooms are on the East side. I don't know why I said it faced East earlier, I guess I was keying on the 2 car "Man Cave" garage portion. On the West side is a sitting room which in the Upper Mid West is called a"4 season porch" though normally they have a door leading to an outdoor patio or porch. This one doesn't so I think it's more accurate to call it a sitting room. So with the prevailing West/Northwest wind pattern and the house facing South the plants requiring full sun will go out in front and the North and East sides get the shade loving plants. The Lilacs will have to go on the West and North property lines so we get the scent blowing across the yard.
Lots to deal with again. UGH! :cry: I was hoping to stay in our nice little condo/apartment for several more years with no grass to cut or weeds and bugs to terminate but I have to agree with the wife; the kitchen is on the small side and our daughter doesn't have enough room to entertain her friends and I do like making noise with my power saw and my other wood working stuff.

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Wed May 27, 2015 11:35 am

Hawk... :D ...!

I reckon that your and the Missus have got this house moving exercise well sorted!

Well done...I'm sure you will have loads of fun in your new, big house!

I've lived happily on my present house/home, perfectly satisfied, for the past 50 years...

...and I will stay here until the day I finally pop my Clogs!.... :D ...!

...no reason to move!

Paul..... :dance: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Wed May 27, 2015 2:04 pm

Fozzer wrote:Hawk... :D ...!

I reckon that your and the Missus have got this house moving exercise well sorted!

Well done...I'm sure you will have loads of fun in your new, big house!

I've lived happily on my present house/home, perfectly satisfied, for the past 50 years...

...and I will stay here until the day I finally pop my Clogs!.... :D ...!

...no reason to move!

Paul..... :dance: ...!

Thanks Paul, I would like to say this is my final move under my own power but he Missus still yearns to move to the west coast of Florida.
Damn, I'll miss her! :lol: Time will tell. My mother has lived in the same house for 64 years and her health is failing but I doubt she will ever consent to being placed in a nursing home; being the stubborn Irishwoman she is.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Wed May 27, 2015 2:55 pm

Hawk.... :D ....

Just had a peek at your location (KAXN) on my USA State Map; Minnesota!....

On the Canadian Border!...Ice, snow, freezing cold!

No wonder the Missus wants to move to Western Florida, where its warm and cosy!... :D ...!

Its why all my Sim Flights take place in the South-West USA; CA, NV, CO, AZ, NM, UT....

...where its warm and cosy!

...and ta for the tip on your country of origin, Hawk; via your Mum....Ireland!... :D ...!

I always like to know where my Sim V Chums originate from!... ;) ...!

Take care!...

P.S...You in Minnesota, and the Missus in Florida...you could always keep in touch by 'Phone?.... ;) .... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

Where folks are...>>> https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=USA+S ... 1310%3B796
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:28 pm

Fozzer wrote:Hawk.... :D ....

Just had a peek at your location (KAXN) on my USA State Map; Minnesota!....

On the Canadian Border!...Ice, snow, freezing cold!

No wonder the Missus wants to move to Western Florida, where its warm and cosy!... :D ...!

Its why all my Sim Flights take place in the South-West USA; CA, NV, CO, AZ, NM, UT....

...where its warm and cosy!

...and ta for the tip on your country of origin, Hawk; via your Mum....Ireland!... :D ...!

I always like to know where my Sim V Chums originate from!... ;) ...!

Take care!...

P.S...You in Minnesota, and the Missus in Florida...you could always keep in touch by 'Phone?.... ;) .... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

Where folks are...>>> https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=USA+S ... 1310%3B796

:lol: :lol: The Mrs was raised in Rio Vista,California and then lived in San Diego for 18 years. Dummy me ended up bringing her here to the "Land of Ice & Snow" (and Northwest Airlines) or as she refers to it "The *^#@!>",: Frozen Tundra!" :doh: :lol: :lol:

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby logjam » Wed May 27, 2015 5:20 pm

Hahaha, I just remembered an old joke. Q. Do you speak to your wife during intercourse? A. Depends how close I am to the phone. hahaha
logjam
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Wed May 27, 2015 9:01 pm

logjam wrote:Hahaha, I just remembered an old joke. Q. Do you speak to your wife during intercourse? A. Depends how close I am to the phone. hahaha

:lol: :lol: :lol: A coworker told me that one a couple of years ago and I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes!

It reminds me of another joke...,
The three types of married sex
The first couple of years you have sex on the floor, the kitchen table, the bath tub, etc.
The next several years it's pretty much only in bed once in a while.
Then for the remaining years of your marriage you just storm past each other in the hallway and say F*** Y**!
:lol: :lol:

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Thu May 28, 2015 2:27 am

Hawk.... :D ...

I wonder if the Missus (and you) miss the warmth (and present drought) of Rio Vista and the surrounding farmland of Cal Central Valley?

I am very familiar with the area having "flown" it most every day since 1997 (Flight Unlimited II)...
Rio Vista.
Maine Prairie.
Nut Tree.
University Davis.
Yolo Davis Woodland Winter.
Watts Woodland*.

...and

Travis Air-force Base!

Lots of Farm Land.

Almost like home from home to me!... :D ...!

Paul....Cal Flyer... :mrgreen: ...!

*Woodland:
The Home of the Farming Community!...>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodland,_California
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Thu May 28, 2015 9:28 am

Fozzer wrote:Hawk.... :D ...

I wonder if the Missus (and you) miss the warmth (and present drought) of Rio Vista and the surrounding farmland of Cal Central Valley?

Paul, she certainly misses the warmth but I'm not that impressed with it. I'm more of a 18° to 21° C kind of guy. We visited my sister-in-law out in Sacramento a few years ago and the temp was 115°F (46° C). That was my last summer visit. :think: Come to think of it...I was in the Persian Gulf in '87 and it was 115°F on the flight deck BEFORE we started engines. That was my last summer visit there too. :lol:

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Thu May 28, 2015 1:42 pm

I must admit that my comfort environment is; 20*C +/- 1*C (68-72*F), and 50% Relative Humidity.

...just like my Living Room!

I just need a bit more warmth to allow me to go for my Motor-bike rides without wearing all the clutter of my Motor-bike clothes!
...(Not naked!.. :shock: ..just with a Tee-shirt, Bermuda shorts, and sandals...and a crash helmet and fingerless gloves!... 8-) ...).

....and being VERY CAREFUL!

Paul... :D ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Thu May 28, 2015 6:16 pm

Fozzer wrote:I must admit that my comfort environment is; 20*C +/- 1*C (68-72*F), and 50% Relative Humidity.

...just like my Living Room!

I just need a bit more warmth to allow me to go for my Motor-bike rides without wearing all the clutter of my Motor-bike clothes!
...(Not naked!.. :shock: ..just with a Tee-shirt, Bermuda shorts, and sandals...and a crash helmet and fingerless gloves!... 8-) ...).

....and being VERY CAREFUL!

Paul... :D ...!

You are a braver man than I Sir Paul (and probably not as accident prone either :lol: ). When I rode a motorcycle back in the early '80's I always wore long pants (preferably blue jeans), a light leather jacket, leather gloves with fingers, usually my flight boots and of course a brain bucket. Rather warm attire for a summer in the South but it did save my dumb butt once.

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Anthindelahunt » Thu May 28, 2015 6:32 pm

Fozzer.
Love your backyard.

I have not posted for a time as I have been ill.
Hope to be back soon with a pile of bricks.

Anthin. :lol:
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby logjam » Thu May 28, 2015 6:43 pm

WB Anthin :D
logjam
Major
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Photos & Cameras