Videos, and uploading to You-Tube...

Your Aviation (or Personal) Photos and discussion on Cameras & photography.

Videos, and uploading to You-Tube...

Postby Fozzer » Sun May 24, 2015 2:19 am

Hello Chums!

My latest project is taking videos of the English Countryside with my new SJ CAM, Sport Camera, attached to my Motorcycle....>>>

http://www.sjcam.com/cameras/9-sj4000-f ... t-dvr.html

I take the videos, and assemble and edit them successfully, using; "Windows Movie Maker".

The problem comes when I try to store the finished videos in a free Internet site!

I can upload them to "Dropbox" quite quickly (in 5-8 minutes), but using Dropbox, I can only store a maximum of 2 GB on its site, so when I reach that limit I then have to delete existing videos to make more room for new ones....>>> https://www.dropbox.com/

To overcome this restriction, I have tried to upload the same videos to You-Tube, with no luck whatsoever!
Clicking on "Upload", for my 5/10/15-minute video files, I am presented with an estimated time to complete the upload, which can run into hundreds of hours, so I have to stop the upload by closing the page!

Is this normal, many hours/days, for uploading files to You-Tube?

Do any of my Flight Sim Chums have similar difficulties in uploading their video files to You-Tube...and is there a cure?

Paul... :cry: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Videos, and uploading to You-Tube...

Postby ohmygeeks » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:40 pm

Hmmm, never met your problem. High resolution and bit rates will affect the uploading speed, and it has a transcoding process while uploading. You can use this free video converter to adjust some parameters to see the results.
ohmygeeks
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:16 am

ohmygeeks wrote:Hmmm, never met your problem. High resolution and bit rates will affect the uploading speed, and it has a transcoding process while uploading. You can use this free video converter to adjust some parameters to see the results.

Many thanks...

...will give the free version a try!... :D ...!

When it comes to You-Tube, I suspect that many, of not most of the users who upload long videos, are using a very expensive, high-speed Fibre Optic Broadband Internet Server!
Unfortunately, here in Medieval England, most of us are limited to a copper-wired Telephone Land Line System which results in extremely slow Upload and Download speeds, in particular, Upload speeds!

In my case, my maximum Download speed available is 8 Mb/s, .....and my Upload speed varies between 0.2 Mb/s and 0.5 Mb/s.... :shock: ... :shock: ....!

...so, uploading to You-Tube can often take days to upload a 2GB, one-hour file, and the computer has to be constantly connected to You-Tube day and night!

My free version of "Dropbox" works fine, and accepts a max of 2GB, <1 hour max, 1080HD video file, uploading automatically each time the computer is switched on, via my System Tray.
The difficulty is, I am limited to a max of 2GB free storage space in Dropbox, and I have to delete existing files to make room for new ones, (which can result in dead-links for anyone accessing them)!

The main problem appears to be my extremely slow Upload speeds using You-Tube, over which I have no control, and a computer disconnection means starting all over again!

Uploading to You-Tube is like waiting for God!.... ;) ...!

It would be interesting to know the actual "Upload speeds" of fellow Sim V, You-Tube Users!

Paul....ZZZZZzzzzzzz....... :mrgreen: ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jetranger » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:55 am

Yes I think a lottta your problem may be the Internet cables your having to use, such as the Old Telephone type wire as you mentioned

Here where I live in the Midwest of the US, I've got High Speed Cable which makes a difference - a long video tho - say 30 minutes to an hour long can still take anywhere from an hour or longer to upload to you tube !

Hopefully,,, I can Explain this so you'll understand this maybe

When I decided to start my YOU TUBE Channel, SIM HANGER amd wanted to only upload Flight Sim Videos, I had a hard time trying to get the Video into the right format size to display properly on YOU TUBE

After a few daysssss of research and reading what was the best file format size on my end to process the video - was,,, it became easier

NOTICE I say MY END !! this is where many Naïve users screw up - not knowing YOU TUBE Automatically does the rest {-------- !!!!!

YOU TUBE Processing "ON THEIR END", will automatically process the video you upload to better quality and size , UNLESS You pick a wrong size format on your end with whatever Video EDITOR you use !!

I do NOT use Windows Cheesy Limited Video Editor anymore since they changed it and totally meesed it up way back when, like 5 years ago,,,

I now use Serif Movie Maker / Editor , which can handle a wide variety of different Video Formats and is much like the OLD Windows Movie maker layout.

Here are a few screen shots hopefully they'll display where you can get a good idea of the size I use to "PROCESS" my Videos on MY END, in my Video Editor - before sending it to YOU TUBE to be uploaded.

Then once I upload it to YOU TUBE, they'll process the Video on the end to fit the video to the size of the screen

noting I hate more than seeing a video that's about 1/2 the size if the screen, that has those Big Black Bars on each side of the video

know whay that happens ??

because the user on their end when processing the video chose the Wrong video format file size to Process the video on their end in their computer , then sent it to YOU TUBE and You Tube processing - processed it the way it was sent to them , older videos are especially difficult those old VHS Videos people try to upload.

Theres a whole section on YOU TUBE that gets into File formats and sizes that are best for you tube for them to display properly on their Video player screen.

Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:13 am

Many thanks, Jet, for your instant reply!

I will now study your recommendations in detail, and see if I can figure out the proper way to Upload my Video files to You-Tube.

I'm still stuck with my slow Copper-Wired Land Line connection, but maybe uploading it in a more suitable way may increase my Upload speed somewhat!

Thanks again, Jet... :dance: ....!

..closely studying your post!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!

P.S.....Jet, can you show your typical Upload Speed here, (using your Internet Server), as a comparison to mine?
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jetranger » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:16 am

Now I found out the Secret by researching YOU TUBES own articles and read that they prefer the VIDEO size 1280 X 760 for their processor equipment to properly Process the video so it'll take up the ENTIRE Video player screen !

See Screen shots below as to the difference

you don't want all you videos with those stupid Black Bars on each side then the video has to be processed on YOUR END in the proper Video Format 1st ~ !!

See the 1st screen shot is Awful , that's somebody who doesn't know any better or doesn't have good video editing capabilities & editor

the other 2 screen shots are of my Videos from my Channel notice the size of the video in the YOU TUBE Video player , proper size to fit the screen.

I processed my VIDEOs always in that 1280 X 760 with my Video editor BEFORE uploading them to YOU TUBE !!!

so choosing the proper Video Processing size BEFORE uploading the video to YOU TUBE is the Key Secret & trick to properly display in the YOU TUBE player as once the VIDEO is YOU TUBES processors it automatically will process the video to High Quality , depending on how it was processed before it was sent to them.

Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:26 am

Thanks again, Jet....

...still following your detailed instructions!.... :dance: ...!

Excellent tips!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...1
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jetranger » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:28 am

Notice the last 2 screen shots how both my Video screen shots take up the entire YOU TUBE Player screen mostly !!! :D

Se what others don't realize and ASSUME is that they have to take their videos and Process them on their end in High Quality format, whatever they might be and actually they don't at all,,,

because YOU TUBE 's processors handle all that , all that's really needed on the users end is picking the correct Video DISPLAY Size - processing the video correctly on their end with whatever video editor - - before ever sending it to YOU TUBE to be processed !

I Typed in YOU TUBEs Search pane - YOU TUBE Video processing and all kinds of video explaining video processing are available

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbSYLBeGPhk[/youtube]
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:40 am

Ta for the Video demonstration, Jet!

...shame about the bloody background music bending my ears!!..... ;) ...!

Lots of complex info!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jetranger » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:42 am

Think theres a newer version of Serif Movie maker out, but I use Serif Movie maker 7

like windows movie maker but way more features and video editing formats and not too expensive compared to that Expensive Sony Vegas that's hard to use !

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrhxRrlzh9I[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGjuNzEJxBg[/youtube]
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:53 am

I DON'T have Sony Vegas Pro,,, but heres a Video about it - now theres a kid narrating this, BUT , I've learned to listen to some of these Kids, older shits like me :lol: :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veexFF3Lfnc[/youtube]
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:55 am

I must admit that I'm using Windows Movie Maker..... ;) ....

..its Free, and fairly simple for me to understand, (I don't like complication!), and it seems to do the job for me...adding text and voice-overs, etc!

Will concentrate with selecting a more suitable Display size before Uploading!

Whatever format I select, I think that I am still stuffed with my slow Broadband Upload speed ...0.3 Mb/s.... :shock: ...!

Paul... :mrgreen: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jetranger » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:48 am

I used to use Windows / Microsoft movie maker until they screwed it up after XP.

I researched for a compatible movie maker that wasn't to complicated - and found SERIF Movie Maker , almost like WMM, but with more functionality and options, yet basically looks the same as WMM .

not to expensive either really,,,, think I got it in a box edition for like 60.00 bucks 2 years ago,,, the new version may be a little more tho ????

anyway,,,, I'd say sum of your problem is slow connection,,,, but you may be able to solve it by choosing a different video format to process before you send it to you tuby !!

experiment with different video format processing and see what happens,,,,
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:50 am

That DC 3 up on the Rack is my Flight Simulator,,, it operates like a roller coaster,,, slides back forth,,, but never takes off,,, Yettttttt :?

out back behind my house ,, it runs and stuff :shock:
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:53 am

Jet...

..just to quench my curiosity.... ;) .....

..with your snazzy, high-speed, magic, Cable/Fibre Optic Internet Connection in the USA...

Run a "Internet Speed Test Upload and Download" for me, via your Server, and post the results here, to give me some idea what I am up against with other Users of You-Tube, regarding Upload Speed!

It would cost me loadsa money to change from Copper Wire to a Fibre-Optic Service (even if available in my area!), and at my present 8Mb/s Copper Wire Download speed, would be unnecessary for everyday browsing.

Fast "Upload speed" is only necessary for You-tube!

Paul.....Speedy Gonzales?....(NAH!).... :lol: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Photos & Cameras