Mid life Crisis.....another update

Your Aviation (or Personal) Photos and discussion on Cameras & photography.

Mid life Crisis.....another update

Postby expat » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:28 am

Last week was BIG smile on my face day. After 2 1/2 years of sleeping, my MGB finally sprang back to life.............and no one was more surprised than me.
I finally got to the point where I could turn the key and see what happens...
The engine had been stripped right back to the block. The carbs were a thousand bits on my bench and the wiring loom had been un-loomed, cleaned up and re-wrapped. I have been in the mean time hunting a problem of no power to my fuel pump. The last owner had got creative. I had to un-create it back to standard. Anyway, put in a gallon of petrol, went in to tell my dad I was going to try and start her as he wanted to watch. At this point, Mum, wife, children and several neighbours gathered around............So no pressure. I expected the engine to just crank over, splutter, cough and then spend the next few days sorting it out. I squirted some brake cleaner into the carbs, turned the key and................She started a split second later and ran quite smoothly considering I have only set the timing by eye as I lent my strobe gun to a mate years ago and had not got it back....

Below is a couple of pictures of other progress. I got a bit fed up with the wiring problem so before I sorted that I put on some shiny bits.....Not much left to do now. All mechanicals a finished. I just have some clips to install, clutch to bleed and wiring to tidy and then I can start on the body.....sanding back three resprays...... :(

Matt

"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Mid life Crisis.....another update

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:57 am

OMG!!!

I'm sorry to tell you this, Matt, but somehow you put the steering wheel on the wrong side. :o

Otherwise it looks great. :clap:

What you need to do, when everything else is put together and working, is to ship it to me (post paid).

I'll take care of any other problem I find and ship it back within 10 - 12 years.

At no charge of course. :D

No thanks needed. I'm always this generous. :D
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:57 am

End of Life crisis!.... :( .....

Maintenance:

I've just been struggling fitting a new rear tire* tyre on my Motor-bike....

And I'm absolutely shattered now!.... :shock: ....!

I wish I had the energy/stamina now, that I had 30+ years ago!

Paul.... :lol: ...!

Tip: New tyre on a Motor-bike = take it steady for a while!

* "Tire" is what I "feel", putting a Tyre on a Motor-Bike

Looking Good, Matt!.... :clap: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby expat » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:00 pm

OldAirmail wrote:OMG!!!

I'm sorry to tell you this, Matt, but somehow you put the steering wheel on the wrong side. :o

As my German wife says, it is not right hand drive, it is wrong hand drive...... :lol:

As for the rest, I hope you will not be offended if I turn down your very generous offer.... :naughty:

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:14 pm

Emmy is looking good Matt ;)
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Steve M » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:29 pm

expat wrote:
OldAirmail wrote:OMG!!!

As my German wife says, it is not right hand drive, it is wrong hand drive...... :lol:

As for the rest, I hope you will not be offended if I turn down your very generous offer.... :naughty:

Matt

I love/hate those old MGs. It would seem so awkward shifting with the left hand. Nice work though Matt. :!:
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby expat » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:48 pm

I hope to get he clutch bled next weekend. I am away from home at the moment. Once that is done, it will be beer crate for a seat and a quick drive up the road O0

I replaced a tyre on my motorbike many years ago Paul.........just over 25 years ago.....before I got married, when I had a bike :roll: ........And I would not do it again, I was knackered after doing it.

Matt

expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby mustangaroo » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:49 pm

I have found that bleeding brakes can be done by cracking the bleed screw open and let gravity do it's thing overnight. Might work for a clutch slave cylinder as well.. worth a try anyhoo. :dance:
mustangaroo
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby expat » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:21 am

mustangaroo wrote:I have found that bleeding brakes can be done by cracking the bleed screw open and let gravity do it's thing overnight. Might work for a clutch slave cylinder as well.. worth a try anyhoo. :dance:

I have used that method before, but I have a slave in the way of a small boy who loves working on the car with me. In fact I have to keep my tool box locked or I will come home and find that either the car is in bits, or he has taken his brothers bike apart....... :lol:

Matt

expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:43 am

expat wrote:
I have used that method before, but I have a slave in the way of a small boy who loves working on the car with me. In fact I have to keep my tool box locked or I will come home and find that either the car is in bits, or he has taken his brothers bike apart....... :lol:

Matt

You are very lucky, Matt.... ;) ....

Savour the moment, 'cos when he gets to be a big boy, and you are very old, he will disappear like a cloud in the Summer sky when something needs to be done!.... :cry: ....!

It happens with me now....
..that's why I was struggling to get my new back motorcycle tyre off and on the wheel.
....all my strong, powerful Lads suddenly become invisible!

"Hello Dad"..."Need a hand?" ....is now a distant memory!.... :roll: ....!

Paul...Off for a ride-out in a minute, to test my new tyre.... :dance: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby expat » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:40 am

Fozzer wrote:
expat wrote:

Matt

You are very lucky, Matt.... ;) ....

Savour the moment, 'cos when he gets to be a big boy, and you are very old, he will disappear like a cloud in the Summer sky when something needs to be done!.... :cry: ....!

"Hello Dad"..."Need a hand?" ....is now a distant memory!.... :roll: ....!!

Well I guess that is preferable to:

"Hallo Dad", can you lend me a tenner"................ :lol: :lol:

Matt

expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Photos & Cameras